RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   'Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder' (Borderline) (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95920)

Accidentally Abstract 04-05-2009 12:02 PM

'Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder' (Borderline)
 
Hey guys,

I was diagnosed with 'emotionally unstable personality disorder' the other day (which is apparently the new name for borderline personality disorder..), & I fit the symptoms of it & everything, & they're talking about possibly putting me into a type of group therapy for other people with the same disorder, so it sounds alright.

The problem is that although I'm pleased to have a diagnosis at last, I've just got such negative reactions from people I've told. My dad said it sounded like "psychobabble", friends who're 'in the know' about mental health were just like "is that it?" sort of thing.. (like in 'Girl, Interrupted') &.. It's just disheartening.

I feel like I've been diagnosed with the pointless disorder. The one which psychs diagnose you with if they don't know what else to say & don't think there's anything really wrong with you.

I just feel stupid & like I've almost.. Failed.. At being mentally ill, as stupid as that sounds.

Just some support & hugs would be nice.
=[
xxx

Accidentally Abstract 04-05-2009 12:15 PM

There's a thread about it?
Which forum is it in? This one?
*goes searching*

Thank you for your support.
I just feel quite alone in it at the moment. =[
xxx

EDIT: Found it!

sherlock holmes 04-05-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accidentally Abstract (Post 1595211)
I feel like I've been diagnosed with the pointless disorder. The one which psychs diagnose you with if they don't know what else to say & don't think there's anything really wrong with you.

Far from it. BPD is a serious mental illness!

It takes some getting used to, I struggled when I first got my diagnosis. But this book was SO helpful, seriously read it and give it to family and friends to read also. It gave me so much insight into what BPD really is and what treatment options there are, and the prognosis.

whirlpools 04-05-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Far from it. BPD is a serious mental illness!
quite right, and the thinking about the disorder has been very behind for a very long time. but a new document has come out recently, i'll see if i can find it sometime, which points out that BPD is a serious illness and requires a lot of support and treatment. things should pick up for people with BPD in the next few years. i'm noticing improvements in attitude in my team already. visit us in the BPD thread if you feel like it :) xxx

plastic rose 04-05-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accidentally Abstract (Post 1595211)
My dad said it sounded like "psychobabble", friends who're 'in the know' about mental health were just like "is that it?" sort of thing.. (like in 'Girl, Interrupted') &.. It's just disheartening.

See, this is exactly why I hate that bloody film, because it makes light of serious psychiatric disorders. They intentionally toned down the mental state of the real-life characters, first by making Georgina a 'compulsive liar' when she really suffered from Schizophrenia, and the worst part is when Valerie tells Susanna that she is "a spoiled little girl who is driving herself crazy".... sure... because 'mental illness' is really just self-indulgence right?...:nono:.

The producers also decided that mentally ill people can't walk with a sexy swagger or wear revealing clothing, like Daisy does in the book, and that including a Mexican girl (Torri) would ruin their 'white girls making themselves sick' aesthetic. It's worth noting that the real Susanna Kaysen absolutely hated the film adaptation of her book.

But I digress. My point is, Borderline/Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder is a real condition. It's not an easy one to be diagnosed with, because it's very poorly understood by a lot of people, which leads to a lot of stigma, perhaps even more so than other mental illnesses, but you're not alone. I hope the BPD thread helps you.

sherlock holmes 04-05-2009 05:12 PM

Is it this whirpools? http://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/CG78...fo/pdf/English

whirlpools 04-05-2009 05:17 PM

that's it, thanks :)

Accidentally Abstract 04-05-2009 09:44 PM

Thanks guys, your support means a lot.

The guy who diagnosed me is being pretty good about it, at least. We'll see what my GP is like when I get to see her.

& I've just ordered that book, thanks Sarah. =]
xxx

ThinkingofRecovery 05-05-2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by control freak (Post 1595491)
Far from it. BPD is a serious mental illness!

It takes some getting used to, I struggled when I first got my diagnosis. But this book was SO helpful, seriously read it and give it to family and friends to read also. It gave me so much insight into what BPD really is and what treatment options there are, and the prognosis.

I got this book delivered the other day and to see myself in the narratives etc has been so helpful

frida 09-05-2009 01:04 AM

BPD? me too
 
yes, i was diagnosed with same 7 years ago.

i was upset at diagnosis at first but then relieved that i had an explanation. the other labels like Bipolar) that they trie dto pin on me before BPD, i knew i didnt have. BPD fit me like a glove.

sherlock holmes 09-05-2009 02:55 PM

Yeah its a good book. I keep telling my mum to read it, but she hasnt yet.

Accidentally Abstract 14-05-2009 09:59 AM

I got that book through the post yesterday.
Thanks for the recommendation Sarah, looks good so far.
=]
x

plastic rose 14-05-2009 10:13 AM

Luce, have you started on the anticonvulsant medication yet?

Accidentally Abstract 16-05-2009 12:56 PM

No.. I'm meant to be starting on it now, but I'm going out, so I'm too scared.
I'll start it tomorrow *nods*.
xxx

inblack 18-05-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by control freak (Post 1595491)
Far from it. BPD is a serious mental illness!

It takes some getting used to, I struggled when I first got my diagnosis. But this book was SO helpful, seriously read it and give it to family and friends to read also. It gave me so much insight into what BPD really is and what treatment options there are, and the prognosis.

I need to order that book. I actually am getting treatment from the centre that one of the authors works at (I see his partner not him). I just haven't gotten around to getting the book. :)

null_n_void 18-05-2009 08:03 PM

diagnosed this afternoon...

Accidentally Abstract 18-05-2009 08:51 PM

^ *sends hugs*

& Sarah, I'm still reading that book & it is indeed a really good one.

sherlock holmes 18-05-2009 09:43 PM

Good :)

Bleeding Angel 19-05-2009 12:39 AM

can i ask what anti-convusent medication your on? i got put on that stuff as well.

Accidentally Abstract 19-05-2009 03:59 PM

Sodium Valproate methinks..? 500mg.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.