RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   I think I have Munchausen's Syndrome (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93501)

everylastbit 16-04-2009 10:28 AM

I think I have Munchausen's Syndrome
 
Hi,
I have all the symptoms of Munchausen's Syndrome and I want to do something about it. How do I go about trying to get help because I don't suddenly want doctors to stop taking me seriously if I really do have something wrong with me physically. I also have BPD and depression and I'm told that these often occur together.

I really want to tell someone but I think there'll be loads of stigma surrounding it.

THanks

Tomorrowwillcome 16-04-2009 11:19 AM

While I was ip it was suggested that i had Munchausen's Syndrome as I purposefully made my self unwell in order to obtain care. I made myself seriously aneamic to have blood transfusions and took massive overdoses. I am trying to make myself well again but is hard going. I also have BPD and depression. I think that my need for care was more to do with the BPD than Munchausen's Syndrome.

If your honest with the medical profession then they will expect honesty from you and will believe you when you are physically unwell.

everylastbit 16-04-2009 11:32 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. Do you think I should tell my CPN? I'm really worried about it.

Tomorrowwillcome 17-04-2009 10:35 AM

Talk to your CPN

extreme turbulance 18-04-2009 01:41 PM

definitely talk to your CPN! dont be ashamed of yourself and well done for being brave enough to consider treatment!

shadow-light 18-04-2009 01:48 PM

my aunt has this... she'll look up the symptoms of an illness and work out ways to create those symptoms in herself... she's done some pritty dangerous stuff in the past...
we think that she's developed this as when she was younger she had a brother with lukemia, and she saw how much attention he got due to this...

it is true that ifd you have this doctors will be more suspicious of you... but a good doctor will reaslise that just because you have this doesn't mean that you can't or won't get a real illness...
I won;t lie though, the odd doctor will get hung up on it... but you just need to ask to see a different doctor then.

my aunt is currently in hospital as after having a doctor who thought she was faking and then asking for a second opinion they discovered that she had bladder cancer :o

but as I say although some doctors will get suspisious, it's there job to take you seriously and do the tests regardless.


I think that speaking to your CPN would be a good plan

to be honest if you get a diagnosis then doctors are more likely to take you seriously as they'll see you're trying to get better... where as without one but with a record of purposely causing illness or whatever then they will realise something is amiss but assume that you are not trying to rectify it

Wonderland. 18-04-2009 01:49 PM

Sweetie I think its really important that you talk to your CPN about this.
If you manage to talk to your CPN let us know how it goes.

Amy x

shellz1986 18-04-2009 07:37 PM

Hey hunni.

I have this! I like you also have a diagnosis of BPD. im not going to lie to you, it was hard when first trying to talk about it with my dr but it does gat better sweetie and when you find a person who is understanding then it really helps.

PLease tell someone about this, it is really important that you do. I am always here if you need to talk about it, PM me if you wish.

Shelley

frida 20-04-2009 12:38 AM

hi, me too
 
hi, i am in trteatment for BPD and think i have Munchausens too. I am too scared to tell my CPN.

everylastbit 26-04-2009 07:16 PM

told my CPN, she didn't take me seriously

one_step_closer 26-04-2009 07:32 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, are you able to ask for a second opinion from someone else?

everylastbit 26-04-2009 07:59 PM

it was so hard to say it in the first place, i don't know if i can do it again


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.