RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Can you eat too much fruit? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91066)

Steel Maiden 28-03-2009 08:47 PM

Can you eat too much fruit?
 
I eat like ten portions a day lol it actually replaces my lunch.

squirrelspit 28-03-2009 09:09 PM

Fruit is like anything, too much of it can start to have a dextrimental effect on your body. things like oranges etc have a lot of citric acid, that isnt too good for your teetch.
Fruit also has lots of sugar in it, although, obviously as this is natural sugar, its not as bad as the refined stuff found in chocolate etc.
and.. a lot of fruit can give you the shíts.
Have you thought about replacing some of the fruit with nuts? theyre really good for you.
Are you eating an otherwise varied and helathy diet?

Gosh, this post turned quite serious.. sorry.

Le Almighty Kitten 28-03-2009 09:11 PM

You'd have to be eating far, far, far more than that for it to be dangerous. In Japan i think it is, the recommended fruit and veg consumption is something like 17 a day. Fruit does good things and has some good chemicals and vitamins that are super good for brains.

whirlpools 28-03-2009 09:14 PM

17 a day?! woah.

shadow-light 28-03-2009 09:15 PM

that levels of fruit could cause dirrarerra, but nothing else


most things in fruit can be bad for you if you have too much, but it has to be a LOT!!! for example, too much vitamin C can be VERY bad, but to have too much you'd have to eat 75 oranges in half an hour (the body cannot store vit C so it doesn't have the cumulative effect thing... hence the half an hour time frame)

Shadowsaurus 28-03-2009 09:16 PM

Too much fruit makes my insides turn nasty...

Weird story..
the other day I ate 3 oranges, 4 apples, appox. 50 grapes and a pear...and I actually didn't leave the bathroom...It made my tummy very...bleurgh.

Le Almighty Kitten 28-03-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow-light (Post 1516891)
that levels of fruit could cause dirrarerra, but nothing else


most things in fruit can be bad for you if you have too much, but it has to be a LOT!!! for example, too much vitamin C can be VERY bad, but to have too much you'd have to eat 75 oranges in half an hour (the body cannot store vit C so it doesn't have the cumulative effect thing... hence the half an hour time frame)

For what it's worth, it depends how it's managed, there are some mental illnesses that can be benefited greatly by vitamin therapy.

shadow-light 28-03-2009 09:27 PM

ye I've heard that too... never properly looked into it though...

but vitamins are important, and a lot cannot be stored by the body so it is easy to end up a deficiency, generally without realising as the sympotms will be so small or seemingly unrelated... and some people don't absorb them properly to start with...
so I can easily see how vitamin therapy could be benificial to many

~invisible~girl~ 28-03-2009 09:32 PM

I'm sure that like with anything else, you can eat too much and end up with a stomachache :-p

Seriously though, I think that the only issue would be that you're eating a balanced enough diet to get enough of the nutrients that you don't get from fruit. You'd have to eat really a lot of fruit for the fruit itself to do any harm, so it's just a matter of what you're not eating when you're eating fruit instead.

Le Almighty Kitten 28-03-2009 09:33 PM

Have a look for Patrick Holford, his Optimum Nutrition for the Mind is a very interesting read. Should add, that's in response to shadow-light :)

Isoverity 29-03-2009 02:13 AM

I would eat protein with the fruit to dull the kick in the pancreas. Fruit is sugary but some are much more mild. Diabetics can have blueberries, strawberries and such while bananas are skull and cross-bones material. Steve Jobs (Apple CEO) was a fructarian many years and he ended up with pancreatic cancer

Underjoyed 29-03-2009 02:34 AM

Yes, fruit is good for you, but I think it has very little fat and protein which are both essential as well.

pugdog 29-03-2009 04:03 AM

me and too much pineapple has made me very sick twice. I love to eat pineapple, but it tears me up.

Hot peppers are a type of fruit biologically.. right? cause i've been torn up by those lil deamons several times before!

-brian :smurf:

Steel Maiden 29-03-2009 02:06 PM

LOL I do actually go to the loo quite a lot tbh. I do have a balanced and varied diet otherwise (my Mum is a great cook and does really natural, healthy stuff). However I don't eat much in terms of sweets. I will have a sweet once a week.

I have actually been told to get fillings. My Mum had fillings when she was younger because she ate 10 apples a day =/.

Its just that I love fruit and I prefer to eat fruit as a snack rather than eating a load of chocolate or bread or whatever....

Master Of Deceit 29-03-2009 08:11 PM

*is thinking about very beginning of Lord Of The Flies. ''Them fruit...''*
lol I'd say too much fruit does have its disadvantages

Cacoethes 29-03-2009 08:34 PM

i eat sooooooooo much fruit
my mum has a go at me sometimes for eating all the fruit ¬_¬

shieldworld 29-03-2009 08:39 PM

Too much fruit = the shíts.

Liar. 29-03-2009 09:01 PM

You know how they say eat 5 plus a day? They say it for a reason. If you eat loads of fruit and veg, like has been said. youll be shitting through the eye of a needle.
Itll be funny for eveyone else, but maybe not you.

chrisjbee 30-03-2009 12:20 PM

Watch out for drinking too much fruit juice/ smoothies etc, It rots your teeth!! My dentist always has a go at me about it, grr... but it has to better then coke, right?! That's my theory anyway.

Steel Maiden 31-03-2009 05:59 PM

I don't drink much fruit juice or smoothies, but I do eat a lot of oranges and apples, which inevitably leads my orthodontist to say that I need fillings =/.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.