RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Need Help, Panicking... (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69431)

lnlybakr 20-10-2008 09:02 PM

Need Help, Panicking...
 
Ok, so I have an ekg on Wednesday. I was just reading online how they do it and they have to put probes on your legs, as well as other places. Well, I have proof that I've been SIing there. My husband and two close friends do know and I've really been working on things with their support. I've gone 5 days so far with nothing and have been feeling good. I've been proud because I've really been having too many bad days. My legs have scars all over. My dr doesn't know and I'm afraid that he'll try to do something about it, like have me admitted. I'm really panicing. I don't really want to postpone the test because my heart has really been bothering me and that's scary. I'm just freaking out and I really don't know what to do. It's making me want to SI and that;s just worse. I just don't know what to do.

zivalover16 21-10-2008 12:01 AM

Unless the dr. feels suicidal he shouldn't admit you..... He may ask if you are getting help. I'm not really sure what else they would because when I told my dr I was under 18 and they had to tell my parents each time I went in with a new cut...I am assuming you are over 18 so he wouldn't have to tell anyone. Maybe before he hooks you up and sees you scars let him know about it....... Good luck. I hope all goes well

Misunderstood. 21-10-2008 12:19 AM

i don't think the doc can do anything about your SH unless u want them too. Don't panic. (hug)

rustedchains 21-10-2008 04:01 AM

Well I had a bunch of cuts on my legs (not just scars, either!) when I saw the OBGYN, and he didn't even comment. So it's possible they won't even bat an eye.

zivalover16 21-10-2008 04:13 AM

^that reminds me that I have an appointment with the OBGYN in December and I am nervous as hell cuz I have cuts on my upper leg and some old scars on my lower leg...........I've been freaking out since my appointment was made (in July) theres a little comfort that I'll be 18 by then so they can't tell my parents anything....As I said since you are over 18 they have to adhere to doctor patient confidentatily........If he is a good dr he shouldn't make a big deal out of it and just make sure you are safe

rustedchains 21-10-2008 04:49 AM

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but they CAN tell if you are over 18. I was 19 when my psychiatrist (complete with yelling at me) forced me to tell my mother. Is it legal? I'm not sure. I just know that I was forced to tell my mother, or, rather, have him tell my mother. My mom's response? "Oh, I heard about that on Dr. Phil."

Aidee 21-10-2008 04:51 AM

They actually usually won't do them over scars, it messes with how well the EKG reads. Every doctor does it slightly different, but it is possible to put the leads on your lower abdomen, about right over your hips.

Myshelle 21-10-2008 05:45 AM

I used to be a nurse and performed EKG's all the time. It's fairly simple and takes less than five minutes to complete. The nurse that hooks you up won't be worried about your scars/cuts. All she's concerned about is finding dry clean places to put the leads. The doctor won't even be in the room while the EKG is being performed, or at least that's how it was when I did them. Just me and the patient.

The doc can't do anything about the scars unless you state you want to harm/kill yourself.

You'll be fine. There's really nothing serious to worry about when it comes to that stuff. Just be more focused on finding out what's up with your heart, but don't worry too much.

Hope that helps.

-Shae-Lynn* 21-10-2008 06:13 AM

I had one done in the ER a little while ago and she fully saw some pretty big scars and didn't say anything. When she did it they were all over my chest and then the leg ones were on my ankle areas and only a little above. but I was wearing jeans so that might be why.
Just try to keep breathing. It'll be okay <3


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.