RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   A note of madness *possibly triggering* (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62218)

kona 01-09-2008 12:32 PM

A note of madness *possibly triggering*
 
I was re-reading one of my books this morning about a guy with bi-polar. As i was reading, this quote stood out to me, and i couldn't not share it. for me it sums up everything i want to say to people when they ask me idiotic questions like 'so why are you depressed'

''You cant help me, nobody can. You'll never understand. You have no idea what it is like to be inside my body, my brain, my mind! Trying to describe my life and feelings to you is like trying to discribe colours to the blind, or music to the deaf. It's simply not possible. We may exist side by side, we may share the same blood, the same upbringing, but our minds exist in different worlds. You exist in the world of the rational, the world where every problem has a logical solution, every question has an answer. Cant you see that none of my problems have solutions, my questions cant be answered? Nothing in my irrational brain can be shared by your common sense, none of my pain can be shared by your structured emotions! In my world, black is white, one and one never make two and agony and ecstasy lie irrevocably intertwined. The only way to understand is to share it and i would never wish his existence upon anybody, not even my worst enemy. You may try and sympathies, help and care with all your soul, but you will never, never understand."

The book is called 'A note of madness' by Tabitha Suzuma.

I'd like to know what you guys think of this quote too.

one_step_closer 01-09-2008 12:41 PM

Hmm...i'm not sure. I think that people can understand to a certain extent, if they try. Empathy can go a long way. That sounds like a good book, I think it's on my 'to read' list. Take care.

tamobhuuta 01-09-2008 01:01 PM

i feel like that often. i think i might have to read that book, it sounds good.

kona 01-09-2008 01:16 PM

is a good book. i really enjoy reading it.

charls 01-09-2008 03:06 PM

Just to add, the 'sequel' book is called A Voice in the Distance, and is equally good.

kona 01-09-2008 04:40 PM

omg! theres a sequel! thanks so much for telling me!

nowhereman 04-09-2008 12:04 AM

Thanks for sharing that quote, I can relate a lot. I just ordered the book, it looks really good and got great reviews, looking forward to reading it.

Protège-Moi 05-09-2008 12:30 AM

I thought that book was a very good read and I can relate, though it did irritate me how little he turned to his friends or tried to understand - though I suppose that isn't an unfamiliar situation.

Just ordered the second book of Amazon after it was mentioned here so thanks for the thread!

Voldemort 05-09-2008 12:33 AM

I loved that book, it was amazingly powerful. I think I cry every time I read it. The sequel is good, but it's not as raw as the first book, which is what attracts me to it I think.

I actually related to his actions a lot. More the distancing himself than going to his friends for help. It's a common reaction, more common than going to friends for help, I think? Maybe.

flybat3 05-09-2008 01:54 AM

good quote

Protège-Moi 05-09-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voldemort (Post 1055457)
I actually related to his actions a lot. More the distancing himself than going to his friends for help. It's a common reaction, more common than going to friends for help, I think? Maybe.

I'm guessing you're reffering to what I said, I get where you're coming from - I didn't explain myself very well. It is a good portrayal of what often happens in real life, what irritated me wasn't in the way the story was written as such, it was just the fact that (having an omnipotent view) I knew that him taking control and asking for help would be a good thing - I wanted him to try and make things right and he just wouldn't do it because he was too caught up in how he felt and he was in denial. Basically, I engaged with his character way too much and got mad at him. :laugh:

kona 06-09-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protège-Moi (Post 1056792)
what irritated me wasn't in the way the story was written as such, it was just the fact that (having an omnipotent view) I knew that him taking control and asking for help would be a good thing - I wanted him to try and make things right and he just wouldn't do it because he was too caught up in how he felt and he was in denial. Basically, I engaged with his character way too much and got mad at him. :laugh:

I know what you mean with that...but, being me, it wasn't the lack of reaching out for help hat bugged me, it was he kept on side stepping Jennah! god that got me shouting mentaly at him (i seem to recall the phrase 'JUST FREEKING KISS HER GOD DAMN IT FLYNN!' being mentaly shouted a lot!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by alternate reality (Post 1056962)
I think its a good quote and i can completely understand where it is coming from and to most extents i would agree with it....but there is that possiblity for others to understand and empathise too so i wouldn't want to rule that out, but tis a good quote, sums things up really. Some good analogies within it
x

i was never trying to say that there isn't room for empathy (i have noticed this being said a fair few times so i thought i'd better comment) but personaly, when i feel like he did at this point in the book, i does feel like no-one can comprihend the pain and emotional...stuff going on because it all seems to build up inside you and it feels like that, no matter what you try to say or do, you feel like your at a dead end, smaking your head against the brick wall thats blocking your way...if that makes sence...if i did, its a mirical

KrissyInterupted 06-09-2008 06:12 PM

thats deep.

i think its a good quote, im sure alot of ppl can relate, i know i can


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.