RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   hi (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57780)

recoverprincess 27-07-2008 10:37 PM

hi
 
hi....erm im 15 years old is there anyway i can find out if i actaully have depression with my parents knwing
if there is please let me knw
many thanks kj
xx

l'il esky 27-07-2008 10:54 PM

hey there is a questionaire/check list thing you can look up on internet called the burns depression check list will give you a rough idea. but can also go to the doctors x

loopylucy08 28-07-2008 10:02 AM

If its a diagnosis you're after, only a doctor can do that. Doctors have to keep everything you tell them confidential, irrespctive of age unless a) you are considered a serious risk to yourself or others b) thye are asked for information by criminal justice system c) you are aged under 16 AND they believe you are not competent enough to understand the treatment or illness (unlikely) d) you give them your permission to disclose information.
As said there are various questionnaries you can do to access your mood but be careful as said only a doctor can diagnose you and some questionnaires may be a bit unreliable. Im a great believer in gut instinct- and if your instinct is saying this is more than just a phase of low mood, then its worth pursing it.

If you can talk to your parents, they may be able to support you but I appreciate you may find this difficult at the present time.

recoverprincess 28-07-2008 05:44 PM

the thing is i cant tal to any of my parents because when they found out i SH they kinda couldnt be bothered with me am i just being paranoid?
sorry guys
xx

loopylucy08 28-07-2008 07:22 PM

Everyone worries about their parents finding out. I was just the same as yoU! I kept my doctors appointments a secret for months- then they got a call from A+E to say I was on a drip after a severe overdose. Believe me, it was not the best way for them to fnd out! I thought they'd be angry but my mum was just upset and was like " why couldnt you tell us how bad you'd been?" I really wished I'd told them in the first place because it was a real shock. Now Ive had to be in units and stuff they've got their head round it a bit more and are much better. So I really would recommend telling them if you could.
However even if you can't tell them, I still think you should go to the doctors or get some other help. There are plenty of ways you can do this without your parents knowledge. Remember you are entitiled to confidentiality just like everyone else accept in the cases I mentioned above. Acting now could prevent the situation getting a lot worse which Im sure is not what you want.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.