RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Stonehenge (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5449)

spoonfulofsugar 20-06-2007 11:45 AM

Stonehenge
 
Me and my flatmate are thinking of going this weekend! It was just an impulse thing that we decided yesterday. :wow:

Has anyone been? Is it good?
What's the best/cheapest way to get there? We are going to salisbury and then hopping on that bus. Been looking up train/coach fares...
Oh, and if anyone wants give some tips for good things to do in salisbury that would be cool! :thumbup:

Ideally I would like to go on one of those tours outside of the normal hours where you actually get to go right up and even touch it but that is not gonna happen this time.

Ta!
xS

Urethra Franklin 20-06-2007 01:32 PM

What ever you do, make sure you get there by dawn or dusk, just trust me on this... Also don't get lost, there's an ordinance range nearby, getting blown to pieces could put a crimp on your trip. Train and bus is the cheapest to get there, as I recall we got there without too much trouble. Didn't know much about what to do in Salisbury, we spent all day alone at the stones. It's got an atmosphere all it's own, depending on the times of the year, you might bump into some Wiccans who are jolly nice people.

NIGHTMARE__x 20-06-2007 01:38 PM

Ive been.
And quite frankly i wasn't impressed by it.
But whatever floats your boat really. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

And train would be your best bet tbh.

x

thefool 20-06-2007 01:49 PM

I realllllly want to go there. The photos would be amazing. Can I come lol

spoonfulofsugar 20-06-2007 02:30 PM

sure! the more the merrier!!

xsugarandspicex 20-06-2007 03:38 PM

You could have a look round the rest of Salisbury plain. or look at the cathederal.. erm.. i dunno what else.
I found this website though that tells you about restaurants, and shopping and other stuff.
clicky


ive been to stone henge.. its really interesting to see.
and i agree with Michael.. wiccans are nice.

xx

sherlock holmes 20-06-2007 03:44 PM

I *think* a nearby train station is castle cary, but I could be wrong so please check.

I've not been to stonehenge, although I've driven past a few times. To be honest, it looks really boring and it is just a pile of rocks. But you might really like it!

charcoal feathers 20-06-2007 04:39 PM

I really don't see the fascination with stonehenge or avebury. What's so great/fun about a bunch of rocks?
I mean it prolly would be nice to be there when the sun is rising/setting because it'll be all pretty but otherwise i think it would be boring.

have fun though.

Nic 20-06-2007 06:12 PM

Go to the summer solstice there if you want atmosphere and to be able to get up close.

happywondering 20-06-2007 07:40 PM

I went once, me and my friend were bored and I hadn't been there before and it wasnt that far away so we drove up there. Got there, drove past it, I looked at it from inside the car, decided I was bored, we turned round, drove past it again, I decided there was too many people and I was bored, so we went home again :P

Harley's Dad 20-06-2007 11:22 PM

The stones were erected with an aim in view (whatever that was) about 3,000 years ago. It's sobering to think of just how much history they've survived in that time - Julius Caesar, the Norman Conquest, the Reformation et al. Go and look at them, do not deface them, and realise just how insignificant you and your life (and mine) are in the overall scheme of things. And then come back and tell us what you think ...

Tony (in Druid mode).

Lewis The Second 20-06-2007 11:51 PM

I would love to go to this.

LittleBabyNothing 20-06-2007 11:56 PM

I've always thought it would be really awesome to go to Stonehenge and get incredibly stoned.

Dicky T 21-06-2007 02:30 AM

Ahh, theres a theory about stone henge. They think that it could have been a resinent chamber! They think that they could have made it thinking that the Gods were enhancing the sound thus..............I should stop before i get carried away and bore the living daylights out of you!
Dicky!

-jen- 21-06-2007 09:31 AM

I went last year for the summer solstice, it wasnt very warm and the sunrise wasnt amazing but the atmosphere was great, being up in the stones with so many other people was brilliant. strangely enough, my dad and sisters went last night to watch the sun rise this morning because its the solstice today :)

spoonfulofsugar 21-06-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley's Dad (Post 90179)
The stones were erected with an aim in view (whatever that was) about 3,000 years ago. It's sobering to think of just how much history they've survived in that time - Julius Caesar, the Norman Conquest, the Reformation et al. Go and look at them, do not deface them, and realise just how insignificant you and your life (and mine) are in the overall scheme of things. And then come back and tell us what you think ...

Tony (in Druid mode).



That's the main reason I want to go, just cause it's so fascinating and all that!
I would really love to be able to get up close to them and stuff but I'll do that some other time.

The reason I'm going now is that my friend is leaving the country (her visa ran out:sad: ) in two weeks and she just wanted to see it before she leaves. I just thought why not. I'll go and see for myself. If I like it, great I'll go back again. If I don't then at least I can say for myself: I went and didn't like it. Cause let's face it, there are worse ways of wasting a few hours of a sturday...

I will def tell you what I thought and maybe even post some pics!

Puppet Strings 21-06-2007 09:46 AM

Train fares will cost you a lot. You'll more than likely have to travel down to Bath from London Paddington, then change on to a much slower train down to Salisbury. An adults train fare down to Bath is well over £50, I think.

If/When in Salisbury, I suggest going to the Cathedral & Silbury Hill - which is an Englsih Heratige site, just outside of Salisbury. They hold good medieval festivals, and so forth, sometimes, so you could check to see if there are any events on.

Salisbury's pretty good for shopping too, if y'know, you want to do something different after a historical day.

I live under an hour away by car to Salisbury, and my great Gran used to live there for years, and I have never been to Stonehenge. Oh, been to Avebury though, but y'know.

princesskaytie-leigh 21-06-2007 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charcoal feathers (Post 88378)
I really don't see the fascination with stonehenge or avebury. What's so great/fun about a bunch of rocks?
I mean it prolly would be nice to be there when the sun is rising/setting because it'll be all pretty but otherwise i think it would be boring.

have fun though.

It's the history behind them and the stories, and no doubt the feelings and emotions you'll feel when you're there. The place has ALOT of spiritual history, and I've been told that it just feels different, my uncle goes to the summer solstice and he says that it makes him feel at peace.

x-dying-inside-x 21-06-2007 12:59 PM

not my cup of tea either, ive been past it in the car.

Ami 21-06-2007 03:22 PM

Aw i wish i could come !
Have fun x


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.