![]() |
Meditation?
has anyone ever tried it.
and if so....does it actually work? what type of meditation did you use? does it help alleviate stress and help you feel more revived? im not doing a "study" on it or anything. this is specifically for me to decide if its something that might help me. ive tried so many things but never meditation. i watched a video on youtube showing one way of doing it. just thought maybe i could get some info on it from you guys. thanks so much. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
I've been given meditation techniques to do for anxiety and panic attacks and stuff.
Works (Y) (this is a really rubbish reply,and I'm sorry,but I can't even think right now sorry) |
i do relaxation, why could be the same. I just lie and conciously relax by muscles, then go and visit my 'safe place' which is just a invention.
i find it helps sometimes, but i have to practise it for it to work. |
I think of meditation being as simple as being quiet and listening for my higher power. You may think about a beautiful place or beautiful thing like a rose. You may want to concentrate on a particular quote or line from a prayer. The object is to quiet your mind.
I am gosh awful at meditation. My mind is so often going going going. I think about a line of a prayer but I don't set aside time to meditate Since I say my morning prayers in the shower, I meditate when I am drying my hair. Sometimes when I'm doing something with my hands like pinning something together or crocheting, I find I can get the peace of mind too. And sometimes when I'm outdoors, I just close my eyes, feel the sun on my face and listen to what was going on around me. One time I did that in a ghost town. One of the sounds I heard was the click of my husband's camera, but that wasn't disruptive, it just meant that my dearest husband who is my best friend was nearby and doing something that makes him happy. Sorry that what I do isn't a formal method. I just try to quiet my mind or accept the times when my mind is quiet, and focus on prayer or gratitude or my higher power. |
I've tried it before, with pretty good results. I don't do any specific type of meditation, I just lay down and focus on relaxing all of my muscle tensions. Usually I end up falling asleep, but I always feel more relaxed and more at ease with everything at the end.
|
Be careful that it helps you stay grounded - when I did it I would use it as an escape, and I would drift off, as it were. Breathing and compassionately observing your mind is the safest method.
|
my life is to loud for meditation - although i would like to try it.
|
Most meditations are self-hypnotic (concentration on imagery, mantras etc) and can make a person feel detached and so less on edge. However one that I know of is "anti-hypnotic" in that it separates a persons awareness from being over involved in compulsive thinking/feeling. The US military just started using it for vets because its been helping people with PTSD in dramatic fashion.
Here is link to military version in case people are interested: http://www.patriotoutreach.org/ Here are link to free civilian version downloads: High Speed internet: http://www.fhu.com/audio/downloads/b...still_mp3m.zip Slow Connection: http://www.fhu.com/audio/downloads/b...still_mp3l.zip Nothing might happen the first time tried but when it does kick in you'll know it. Motivation is key and the more earnest people are the better it works. Old forgotten things can bubble up but they seem a 1000 miles away and dont cause much issue. Be aware that can happen though. You might feel worse instead of better at first because a lot of foul stuff has been buried generally. |
I use meditation alot, the only problem Ive found with it is when Im stressed I cant relax enough for it to have any affect
|
Believe it or not i am (well used to be), quite a spiritual person. I; like Blondie, take the same view on what meditation is. I believe that is the true meaning.
Hypnosis suggests something clynical and true meditation is not a detatchment or a separation. It is in fact the complete oposite. It is about re-attachting and conecting with yourself. Your true self. If there is a "higher power" or collective conciousness or God or whatever you want to call it, i believe its our true "self". When you connect there is no illness, no sadness, no pain and no fear. I got thru a major depressive episode using this daily with no meds. Stilling the mind is the hardest part. Its harder than many think. When achieved however its empowering and enlightening. I would strongly advocate it. I know it works. Jack rightly says the word motivtion. Its key. The "will" needs to be there. The problem for many of us here is our minds are so so busy. Rach, i hope you give it a go. Its worth the effort. |
thank you guys so much for your input.
i will definitely give it a try. something eventually has to work right?:yeah: |
i've been really interested in yoga for a few years now, both to help me get some focus mental clarity and physically to help me become more supple and general fitness. i've got a few things holding me back from really getting into it, which is annoying, but i can't see how it can possible have a negitive effect on your life. if you get a teacher and study it properly that is (gerri yoga dosn't count sorry :) )
i have simply been monitoring my breathing more lately tho, and trying to breath slower and deeper, and even thats had a small but positive effect on my life generally not sure if this what your talking about. |
| All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:30 PM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.