RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Veterans Board (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Occupational Health (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4788)

Artychik 16-06-2007 08:06 PM

Occupational Health
 
Ok... I have been working in my job for over a year and a half. I started as a relief worker, then moved onto a temp contract and eventually finally I got a two year post.

When I first started I had to complete a medical questionnaire. I was honest and ticked I had Mental Health problems (Depression). The OH department wrote to my GP with many detailed questions and I had an anxious week when I begged her (GP) not to include anthing about self harm - not to lie, just not tell every little detail. She very kindly omitted that from the letter. Although even without that it didn't make for great reading.

I never heard anything back, so assumed all was fine. Until I applied for the long term post, and my manager told me that if I got it OH would need to see me as they had been ok about my health as long as I wasn't full time, but if I got a more "substantive" post they needed to assess me.

Manager has a vague idea it's something depression related but doesn't know details.

So anyway - Occupational Health finally got their act together and I am meeting the woman on Wednesday (after them initially offering a phone interview, but I said I'd prefer to talk in person).

I guess what I really want to know is - what should I expect? I haven't had any long absences from this job, it's basically all because of my medical history.

What will they want to know? What is the actual point of meeting me?
I haven't been in hospital for depression for yeeeears, and yeah I still see a psych and still struggle with some things (quite a few things but I work bloody hard to not let that show at work) but I am so much better than I have been.

blaaaaaaaaaah

any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Sarah x
(worrier extraordinaire)

Stellata 16-06-2007 08:14 PM

I had to see OH last January. I'd already been in the job a couple of years, but I was clearly unwell, and they needed to cover their backs. It also meant I eventually got some 'reasonable adjustments' under the DDA.

I saw a very warm and understanding dr. And I got a copy of her letter. It didn't even mention any diagnosis or specific behaviours, more the long term nature of my condition, and that I would be requiring treatment for some years.. etc etc etc.

It sounds like its really a formality.

With me, she asked me what treatment I was having, the situation with meds, what I was working with... I can't remember the exact details of what I said, I had a rather stressful time back then as I was seeing my then psychiatrist for the 2nd visit also in the same week as OH, along with also my regular therapy appointments!

All the best with it. I am sure it'll be fine. :)

Artychik 20-06-2007 11:30 PM

had the appointment today... it went ok

the woman was very nice but I think I came across as generally quite pissed off with the whole thing

hopefully I will keep my job though

thanks for replying, longing tears!

Sarah x

Casper_Fading 20-06-2007 11:54 PM

lol, pissed off is alright! I'd be pissed off too lol, you've been working there for ages and now they want to take up some of your time :P stupid peoples! Glad it went okay, hope it's alright with the job thing!!!

Margo 21-06-2007 12:59 AM

eeep sprry i missed this!

Im glad it went ok. Occ Health are usually pretty ok. Most come from NHS backgrounds and stuff and are usually on your side!

Well done for going and not exploding!

Matthew xxx

Merc 21-06-2007 01:05 AM

glad it wasnt too stressful. I hope all goes well with it.
good luck
romp

Stellata 21-06-2007 08:34 AM

I'm glad it went ok for you...


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.