RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Abuse and Bullying Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Nightmares/Flashbacks (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46756)

s.m.i.l.e.l.m.l. 11-05-2008 02:03 AM

Nightmares/Flashbacks
 
Now that I am home from school in the same environment as the sexual abuse happened I keep having flashbacks and nightmares. All they do is just repeat the event in my head. I don't know what to do and they are making things so much harder for me to handle everything right now. I don't know what to do to escape them anymore. I'm afraid they will get the best of me!:notsure:

Caru y Nos 11-05-2008 10:18 AM

They wont get the better of you!
You are much better than abuse which you suffered and survived... you are better than the hurdles life throws at you!!
I hope someone else will be able to be helpful, i just wanted to say that to you.

Take Care,
Keep Safe,
Josh

ghosts in the machine 11-05-2008 12:19 PM

Hey there, I know how that feels, I get the same problem.

*hugs* I know it feels bad, as if it's happening all over again, but you can get through this. Do you have a counsellor or someone you can talk to about this in real life? They could probably help you make sense of what happened and work through the emotions with you.

For the flashbacks, have you heard of "grounding"? Basically, if you feel a flashback coming up pick an object you can see and study it in minute detail. What's it made of? What is its texture like? What job is it designed to do? If an alien landed here and saw it, what would they think it was designed for? Describe it to them. Etc... I find it helps me sometimes, and it's a good way to help you stay in your environment and concentrate on something else other than the flashback.

Anyway, please take care of yourself, you don't deserve any of this. Feel free to PM/email me at any time xxx

s.m.i.l.e.l.m.l. 11-05-2008 04:38 PM

I don't have a counselor right now I just got home two days ago. I have to fight with my parents to get one anyways...they think that everything is magically fixed since I went away to school. They don't talk about the assault with me either they act like it never happened. I'm going to see my gp and see if he can recommend a few counselors for me and go from there. But, I'm still under my parents insurance so they have to agree to let me go basically.

I tried to focus on another object when i felt a flashback coming on and it worked. Thank you so much *hugs*

cutupangel09 13-05-2008 04:28 PM

Have you tried going to the doctor for sleep medication? You sleep deeper so you are less likely to dream. When I was on sleep medication I just slept half the time I didn't even remember falling asleep. The flashbacks though will go away after a while. It will get better.

s.m.i.l.e.l.m.l. 14-05-2008 12:09 AM

I actually tried sleep medication and then I tried to OD on it and now for obvious reasons my doctor will not give me any sleep aids.

Lately I have been keeping myself awake until I cannot hold my eyes open any longer and then I fall asleep and am too exhausted to even dream but now that I am working I can't keep doing that.

troubleshooter 14-05-2008 07:11 AM

As Alex said try grounding techniques, it's good to get your other senses awakened to remember where you are. Move up and down or around, smell something different than the scary scents like a certain perfume or anything, keep a spray bottle of water nearby and spray your hand or face too. *hugs* There are also lists of gounding techniques if you google it. Good luck!

Lolo23 16-05-2008 07:21 PM

I sometimes use those cd's with wave sounds etc. I listen to it while i try to fall asleep at night and they seem to work for me because the sounds fill my head and give me something to concentrate on rather than my mind wandering and having memories creep up on me.

I hope you can find some peace from the memories and hopefully your gp will find you someone to talk to.

*hugs*

~AngelofLove~ 16-05-2008 09:50 PM

Flashbacks in some ways are healing. I kept fighting them and eventually they weren't asstrong.

Try grounding and that usually works. Also, after or during a flashback have someone call you or call them. It worked for a friend of mine.

*hugs*


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.