RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   MSN message/virus thing? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41122)

Just a girl, Interrupted. 26-03-2008 10:03 PM

MSN message/virus thing?
 
Hello

Has anyone been getting message from your MSN contacts list that say

is this really you? :S and then a geocities(I think) link, that when you click it, it trys to run an app.?
Is it a virus

Ive had it from 2 people now and it keeps trying to open and stuff -/

it seems to take my email as the end of hte address and stuff

and yea, is it a virus? it jsut seems weird to me -/

Kame 26-03-2008 10:07 PM

Yup, my boyfriend got it and is now currently scanning his computer and has been for the past half an hour. It's a virus, just ignore it if you get it.

Zedebee 26-03-2008 10:07 PM

Sounds like it. I had something funky like that a while back and it kept sending messages to my contacts. I changed my password and it went away.

xfallenangel08x 26-03-2008 10:08 PM

In a word, yes.
It downloads itself on to your computer/laptop and then sends itself to everyone in your contacts list, I'm not aware exactly what it does (I think its just spyware, but I could be wrong) so that it then downloads itself on to their computer and the cycle continues.
If you get it, if you can scan it with anti virus software (should tell you what the application does) but yes, I wouldn't accept it or anything.
Hope this helps :)

Just a girl, Interrupted. 26-03-2008 10:09 PM

damn, I clicked it last night, cos it was from Jane (the.devil on here)

and so now when we start the comp it trys to launch, but the app has been deleted, all launches cancelled, and what we thought was the file deleted. All temp deleted aswell

so should I message the people I got it from and let them know about it? does it kill computers or anything?

Just a girl, Interrupted. 26-03-2008 10:10 PM

Andrew plans to do a virus scan while we are out tomorrow, I think he already did a scan with spybot last night

Field Of Paper Flowers 26-03-2008 10:10 PM

I've had it from people and blocked them for a while because of how annoying it was.

xfallenangel08x 26-03-2008 10:25 PM

if it comes up on a virus scan/spyware scan, it should be deletable from there if anything is on there.
If it doesn't, and you've deleted everything (delete your cookies as well) then you should be okay.
Keep an eye out on your contacts, tell them that this is on your msn and if they get it to let you know (because then you know its still on your computer somewhere) and to not download/click it so they don't get it.
x

Sans Peur 26-03-2008 10:58 PM

Hey kirsty.

I got it from ann.I read if you remove msn and do a virus scan it should remove the virus.

I cant get msn to download again though :(

Aphelion 26-03-2008 11:02 PM

Oh yeah, got that from one person thus far.

Caru y Nos 26-03-2008 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the.devil (Post 654199)
I cant get msn to download again though :(


I couldn't download it this morning, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...sp layLang=en

Thats what you're after :D

*is glad that has never had a virus on the computer*

*continues to gloat, yet feel sorry for people*

*realises how pointless this is*

Sans Peur 26-03-2008 11:36 PM

finally managed to get it downloaded and the virus is gone.

i unintsalled msn. then norton found the trojan and put it in quarantine and no messages ahve been sent out so yay :D

Puppet Strings 26-03-2008 11:41 PM

I had something similar a while back, and it completed destroyed things. Got a computer guy around and all that jazz, and it turned out that it was far easier and quicker to reinstall things & all that than to debug it. Notttt good.

If anything ever comes up like that nowadays I just press Alt+F4 and bugger off it for a bit, ignoring it completely.

Good luck with getting rid of it, some are worse than others. x

firefox 26-03-2008 11:48 PM

Sophie gave it to me :(. I think i have gotten rid of it for the like 7th time... cos it keeps getting deleted and then reappears again within a certain time ><. I have done everything deleted everythin. Uninstalled msn messenger and ran my anti viruses countless amounts of times. Ive also playing with the resgistry to get it to shift but like it seems it doesnt want to. Anyone have a plan?

JumpinJackFlash 27-03-2008 12:14 AM

Ever heard of antivirus?

GlitterTrashDoll 27-03-2008 12:30 AM

I get those messages on myspace >.<

Bleeding Angel 27-03-2008 12:44 AM

im getting them from ann as well, there are annoying.

first rule is never to click on them

Just a girl, Interrupted. 27-03-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac2468 (Post 654488)
Ever heard of antivirus?

would be the plan for today, although AVG is always running on the computer -/

Void_Walker 27-03-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac2468 (Post 654488)
Ever heard of antivirus?

MTV's skip antivirus software, sure you can run them to scan the computer, but they take a while. however for the rest, you should always have a conversation about a link/file sent to you, to make sure its not a automatic message from their virus and if you do get sent a "photo" what it was disguised as this time make sure its in a .jpg .gif ect. not .exe .zip or i think this time it was a mcdos file.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.