RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   5HTP (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35122)

Accidentally Abstract 12-02-2008 07:30 PM

5HTP
 
I'm going to start on the herbal medication 5HTP. The mental health advisor at uni recommended it to me.

Research says that there are minimal side effects & that it's proven to work just as well as SSRI anti-depressants..

Has anyone taken it before?
What have your experiences been?
x

By the way, feel free to move this mods if it's in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where to put it.

Sincerity 12-02-2008 07:38 PM

My friend took it and didn't notice much. However, if you're seeing a mental health advisor regularly, it could help in conjunction?

I'm not really a fan of medication.. the 5htp may help with serotonin, but isn't really a 'cure' as such.

I think it depends on what you want from any medication.

Good luck! x

Kangaroo 12-02-2008 07:38 PM

Sorry I have no experiences of it. I hope it helps you though.

Animad 12-02-2008 07:43 PM

It would help with your serotonin levels in your brain which low levels are thought to be a cause of depression but it will not solve any of the underlying issues which may also be a cause and therefore it shouldn't just be used alone. However, it may be a help in the short term to allow you to work through your problems with your mental health advisor. But yeah, the effects would be similar to that of SSRIs.

Sincerity 12-02-2008 08:10 PM

Animad articulated it better than i could :p
Perhaps speak to your mh advisor about this?

Accidentally Abstract 12-02-2008 08:44 PM

Thanks guys =)
x

Bitter_Angel 13-02-2008 01:13 AM

Sorry, I have no xpiernce with this medication, however I wish you the best of luck.

I'm also going to move your post to the mental health discussion forum as you are more likly to find someone there who has tried it.

Take care
Kim

Artychik 13-02-2008 02:51 AM

there was a post in here about this not long ago...


here it is http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...ad.php?t=27349


umm I was on this (prescribed) for about a year, helped with sleeping initially, don't know if it made any huge difference other than that - but everyone's different hope it works for you

here-for-the-journey 13-02-2008 10:20 AM

I was going to post about this! Luce you stole my idea :P
Any advice on taking tablets...meh, I'm so bad at it. Never taken capsules before.

Mrs Sam 13-02-2008 12:44 PM

Tori i'm going to PM you because to answer your question on the board maybe classed as tip sharing.

xxx

Ami 13-02-2008 08:21 PM

hope it works for u xx

Accidentally Abstract 13-02-2008 09:13 PM

Thanks guys =]


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.