RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Well its about seeing GP (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31237)

RainbowLifeAllOver 15-01-2008 05:30 PM

Well its about seeing GP
 
I was just wondering if any of you knows what happens once you tell your GP about suicidal feelings - Im 17 well 18 in a matter of days and was wondering if they have to tell your parents?

I do want to get help because i have seen how far this has got to me and i dont want to do something i would regret (im not gonna try anything now i sware) but my parents couldnt take it.. i've put them through so much already..

was just wondering if anyone knew the whole precedure of the GP.. what i would be letting myself into - please be as honest as you can.

RLAO xx

joyous broken thing 15-01-2008 05:38 PM

i don't know in this case; but i was in hospital after an attempt at uni and they didn't tell my parents. even tho they wanted to. you could try googling gp guidlines on adolescents or something similar.
but i think its really brave of you to want to tell your gp about those feelings, its a difficult situation.i hope things work out for you. x

RainbowLifeAllOver 15-01-2008 05:41 PM

thanx for your reply.. was a little nervous as that was my first post.. i'll give it ago - google here i come =]

Ami 15-01-2008 05:54 PM

hey

im 17 and my parents dont knwo anything. my gp never told them and neither did my psychatrist.however, they will persude you to tell your parents until they are blue in the face.

update us, yeh hun? xxx

RainbowLifeAllOver 15-01-2008 05:57 PM

ok i will do.. im going to ring them tomorrow and get an appointment - always goes down better than walking in and demanding ;-)

thanks people xx

joyous broken thing 15-01-2008 06:02 PM

good luck! xxx

alienshe_cheesycake 16-01-2008 09:48 AM

I went a few months ago when I was still seventeen, my GP didn't even mention my parents at all, even when I told him I was Self harming and considering suicide. My parents didn't even come into it, although all GPs are different I suppose and some might want you to get your parents involved but I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to say anything to them and tbh I can't imagine they would if your 17.

Well done and good luck for deciding to make the appointment, you really won't regret it. It helped me so much to finally get some help from sombody when I was at my lowest point. :-)

My GP just asked me some questions about my general mood, eating/sleeping habits, any thoughts of harming myself (or actually harming myself SI) ect ect. He did a questionarre for me and reffered me to a counciller and then a phychiatrist and also prescribed some anti-depressants.

Good Luck, I think it's a reeally good idea to do this and it's brave of you to get help! xxxxxxxxx

mitch 16-01-2008 08:41 PM

By law, the privacy act, your GP is not allowed to disclose any information to anyone else. Everything you tell a DR. is strictly confidential. The only exception to this being if they are worried that you may be at risk to harming yourself and they wont call your parents prob the local crisis team. Hope it went well.

numb 18-01-2008 08:41 PM

Hi sorry to hear your feeling like that like, i know my GP, psychiatrist and whoever else i see never told my parents i was suicidal, But i think the A+E doctor did once, he really pissed me off and i think i annoyed him so much with running off and refusing treatment that he felt he had to get back me. The strangest thing happened to me a few weeks ago with my GP , i had to go and collect my weeekly supply of meds (as im allowed no-more than a weeks supply) and anyway i was sooooo upset becasue my social worker had called an attention seeker, a game player and that i knew what i was doing i am just playing games with people, and that i wanted to be put in the psych ward (wen i was admitted in Nov 07), I went mad at her, who on earth wants to be in a psy ward? omg she stresses me out! and all this other stuff, so in floods of tears i go to see my GP and the next thing i knew before i even mentioned anything about selfharm or suicide he had written a letter in the space of 10mins, called A+E and was sending up to A+E to be mentally assesed!! i was like what the hell! I dont know what your GP is like, i hope he is a better listener than mine!

Take care XXX

Ami 18-01-2008 09:05 PM

i seen mine yesterday and he was great... hope yours is too xx

Breadsticks 21-01-2008 06:25 PM

Wow, just wanted to say that's so brave of you making an appointment so quickly! I've been meaning to go to my GP for ageees but i'm too scared... so yeah well done :)

xxx


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.