RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum and Community Questions (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Is RYL dying? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263898)

The Worst Witch 06-02-2023 03:41 PM

Is RYL dying?
 
I noticed today that RYL has adverts on the homepage, before you click in the top bit to access the forums. I’m assuming this has something to do with Harley not being around anymore, and that we really are in the beginning if the end of RYL :(

Auror. 06-02-2023 05:36 PM

I don't see any ads personally. Never have on RYL besides spam lol. But I also do have an ad blocker.

one_step_closer 06-02-2023 06:05 PM

That has happened with me too, the ads. I sent a screenshot to Jenna. I hope it can be sorted and it's not the death of RYL.

Pi.R^2 06-02-2023 07:34 PM

Yeah, seems like it's happening to a lot of people - I didn't realise but it's happening to me too as I normally go straight to the forum page so bypass the homepage!

I'm uhhhh not especially worried? Everything still works OK? I can try to contact a grown-up if people think it warrants it though!

The Worst Witch 06-02-2023 09:06 PM

It doesn’t bother me per se, I just got a bit sad because I assumed Harley stopped paying for the ads to not appear (which is completely faor enough, he shouldn’t have to pay for something he created years ago and no longer maintains forever!)

one_step_closer 07-02-2023 12:26 PM

As long as RYL isn't eaten up by the ads it's fine to put up with them from my perspective. RYL is changing lots. I miss how it was before.

not_so_insig 07-02-2023 02:36 PM

If it keeps ryl going then I am for it. I don't know how much ryl costs per year but I imagine it isn't cheap. I dont find the ads intrusive but then again I rarely visit the main site.

I have noticed that I am the only sponsor posting. I am happy to keep sponsorship if it prevents this place from closing. It only costs me £10 a year. I would terribly miss this place if it closed.

The Worst Witch 07-02-2023 06:35 PM

I have iszues with the whole sponsorship thing. I guess people could cancel it if they wanted, but theres something that doesn’t sit right with me about a site taking money off its members when the webmaster/the whole staff team isn’t active. I’m hoping people who did sponsor in the past but have moved on would have remsmbered to cancel it.

I don’t know what the answer is, because ultimately even if Harley handed over the reins to someone else and they did all the necessary updates etc I don’t think the site would get enough active members for that to be worthwhile, and ultimately I think at some point RYL will disappear.

tamobhuuta 09-02-2023 02:04 PM

I don't mind the advert. Would it help if I sponsored?

Pi.R^2 11-02-2023 04:56 PM

No one has any idea where the sponsorship is going so I really wouldn't advise it tamo!

The Worst Witch 11-02-2023 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 (Post 4341952)
No one has any idea where the sponsorship is going so I really wouldn't advise it tamo!

This worries me. I would imagine it goes towards the bandwith running of the site and hosting costs, but thats only a guess. Plus, ir may be the case that ryl is getting more money from sponsorship than it needs. Would there be any way of cancelling the system Jenna? I’m guessing you might habe to have webmaster powers to do that, but I’m not sure.

Pi.R^2 11-02-2023 05:18 PM

Way above my paygrade I'm afraid! Dawn, do you get any info on what your sponsorship money is used for or are you just hoping for the best?

The Worst Witch 11-02-2023 07:31 PM

Fou d the thread I posted about sponsorship specifically, here:

https://www.recoveryourlife.com/foru...d.php?t=259773

It tells you in the reply how to cancel subscriptions, ie it looks as though individual members have to cancel them through paypal. Also says what I said above in that it might all go to hosting costs…

not_so_insig 15-02-2023 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 (Post 4341955)
Way above my paygrade I'm afraid! Dawn, do you get any info on what your sponsorship money is used for or are you just hoping for the best?

I am not sure as I did it many years ago. I always assumed that it went towards hosting costs.

Eta: having checked my emails I first sponsored ryl in 2007. I received an email from Tony thanking me and confirming that it was helping with hosting. Unless things have drastically changed since then I assume it is the same.

Pi.R^2 18-02-2023 11:12 PM

I mean I think quite a lot of things have drastically changed since 2007...

one_step_closer 18-03-2023 04:47 PM

Other question: is anyone elses pages taking ages to load?

one_step_closer 18-03-2023 04:54 PM

Ok, it's stopped now.

Aardbei 19-03-2023 03:15 PM

RYL isn't dead yet, don't worry!

Pi.R^2 17-08-2023 07:06 AM

I didn't have any adverts on the home page today!!

long road 17-08-2023 07:39 AM

Als I still get home page Ads. You are the lucky chosen one Jenna! (Or have ad block on your phone)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.