RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   To think kids should show more respect? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246765)

Miss lauren 26-10-2017 09:44 AM

To think kids should show more respect?
 
I teach year 2 and last week had a boy swear at me and a girl threaten to pee on my carpet when I said she couldn't go to the toilet.

Pi.R^2 27-10-2017 12:12 PM

Children come from all sorts of backgrounds and respect can mean different things and take longer to learn/understand. I'm not quite sure what you're looking for from this post?

nowhereman 29-10-2017 01:25 AM

Why wouldn't you let her use the toilet? What else did you expect her to do in that case? It's a basic human need and right.

As for a kid swearing, just politely explain that's not nice/acceptable. They're a child, they just need to learn things still, there's no need to feel offended.

If you're serious and not just trolling then you've already been trained in this.

Pi.R^2 29-10-2017 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowhereman (Post 4139303)
Why wouldn't you let her use the toilet? What else did you expect her to do in that case? It's a basic human need and right.

Food is a basic human need and right but it doesn't mean you can just order a pizza in the middle of a school lesson. It's not unreasonable for a teacher to say no to a child's request to go to the toilet during a lesson if they do not have a diagnosed medical condition, providing that amble opportunities to go to the toilet are provided within the school day (e.g. at breaks/lesson changeover).

Agree with you on the second bit though!

dandelionsandfairies 31-10-2017 09:50 AM

I don't know I think I'd be pretty irritated if my daughter came home to tell me that she needed the toilet but the teacher wouldn't let her go. Yes breaks and lunch are ample time to go but kids are kids and I don't schedule when I have a wee. As for the swearing whilst I agree it's unacceptable behaviour in school, and it sounds atrocious coming from a child. The best thing you can do is being an educator of better language. The child has obviously learnt that outside of school at such a young age, whether at home or just heard something. Swearings part of our world, and kids are in our world too. If they hear an adult use bad language they pick everything up! Just educate them, sit down with them and id teach him alternative words when he got angry but also tell him that its inappropriate to be using any angry words at his teacher in school. You're an educator, give them knowledge. I know it's hard because you need to have so much patience but this is the reality of being a primary teacher!! . The lad may have an older teenage sister or brother that uses those words, someone on the TV, the internet etc. I think it's becoming more and more difficult to keep your kids sheltered!

Miss lauren 31-10-2017 01:47 PM

I never let children go to the loo during lesson time. Teachers have to wait.

Pi.R^2 31-10-2017 09:26 PM

dandelionsandfairies, to be fair I teach secondary and so the bladder tends to be more refined by that age, but unfortunately if we just allowed children to go to the toilet any time they asked, some children would completely take the mick and use it as a way to avoid learning. I think quite a lot of secondary schools have a rule of not allowing students to use the toilet during lessons, unless they have a medical reason which means they cannot wait an hour between trips to the toilet. I tend to deny a first request but if they ask me again and seem genuine then I do let them go.

HopeRises 31-10-2017 10:40 PM

My senior school used to lock toilets during lesson time.

Serendipity. 31-10-2017 10:52 PM

Primary's a bit different though, surely. If you're not letting little kids go to the toilet when they need to, I don't think you can complain too much if they wee on the carpet.

Buttons. 01-11-2017 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serendipity. (Post 4139756)
Primary's a bit different though, surely. If you're not letting little kids go to the toilet when they need to, I don't think you can complain too much if they wee on the carpet.

This.

Buttons. 01-11-2017 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandelionsandfairies (Post 4139657)
I don't know I think I'd be pretty irritated if my daughter came home to tell me that she needed the toilet but the teacher wouldn't let her go. Yes breaks and lunch are ample time to go but kids are kids and I don't schedule when I have a wee. As for the swearing whilst I agree it's unacceptable behaviour in school, and it sounds atrocious coming from a child. The best thing you can do is being an educator of better language. The child has obviously learnt that outside of school at such a young age, whether at home or just heard something. Swearings part of our world, and kids are in our world too. If they hear an adult use bad language they pick everything up! Just educate them, sit down with them and id teach him alternative words when he got angry but also tell him that its inappropriate to be using any angry words at his teacher in school. You're an educator, give them knowledge. I know it's hard because you need to have so much patience but this is the reality of being a primary teacher!! . The lad may have an older teenage sister or brother that uses those words, someone on the TV, the internet etc. I think it's becoming more and more difficult to keep your kids sheltered!

And this.

Also food is in my mind not a fair comparison. If you deny a child an hour to get food (exempting medial issues) they're just going to be hungry for a bit longer whch is no tragedy whereas if a (primary aged where they are still learning) child is desperate for the loo what can a teacher expect if they refuse and then the child pees on the carpet.

I appreciate secondary school is different and some pupils would take the mick but that's entirely different to primary schools.

Miss lauren 01-11-2017 09:10 AM

They never have to hold on for a more than a couple of hours and it's not my problem if they forget to have a wee at playtime.

[Luna] 01-11-2017 09:38 AM

You speak in quite a harsh manner. Do you speak to the children like that?

Buttons. 01-11-2017 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Luna] (Post 4139787)
You speak in quite a harsh manner. Do you speak to the children like that?

QFT

Miss lauren 02-11-2017 10:17 AM

For those of you that think it is harsh that I don't let children use the loo in class time. What do you think I do if I need the toilet? I wait is the answer. If a child can't hold their wee for the length of a lesson they should see a doctor. They never seem to need to go during P.E but do during Maths and besides once you let one go they all want to go.

[Luna] 02-11-2017 10:26 AM

I understand what you're saying but I was saying that the way you put your points across is quite aggressive. Are you happy in your job?
Also, have you reminded the children before breaks to make sure they go to the toilet so they don't need to go during lesson time. Young children often get so wrapped up in playing that they forget.

You are an adult and they are 6 year olds, they don't think about things the same way we do so they often need reminding and for the rationale behind things to be explained more than an adult would. I don't think they are going to respond to 'Well I can't go to the toilet so you can't' but 'It's best to use the toilet at break time because if I let you go to the toilet during lesson time then it means people are walking in and out of the class and that makes it very difficult for me to teach you properly and will mean that other won't be able to concentrate and get on with their work so playtime is the time for going to the toilet not lesson time'.

Miss lauren 02-11-2017 01:24 PM

Yes I love my job. I always remind them to go to the toilet as they go out for break and lunch. There are a set of boys and girls toilets directly next my class so as I bring them in from break and lunch I always say anyone who needs the loo go now as you know I won't let you leave class.

not_so_insig 02-11-2017 01:27 PM

Also children can't hold their bladders in the same way that teenagers/adults can. Yes in an ideal world they would go in break time but they don't always. I think that denying a young child the opportunity to go to the toilet is a bit harsh.

Buttons. 02-11-2017 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by not_so_insig (Post 4139924)
Also children can't hold their bladders in the same way that teenagers/adults can. Yes in an ideal world they would go in break time but they don't always. I think that denying a young child the opportunity to go to the toilet is a bit harsh.

This.

Cacoethes 02-11-2017 08:23 PM

I used to go to the toilet to avoid maths.
I still do even though I'm 26 :tongue2:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.