RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Support worker. (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245138)

Porcelain Child 07-05-2017 04:40 PM

Support worker.
 
Hi everyone,

I am due to see my care coordinator tomorrow but she bringing along my new support worker. Can someone explain what a support worker is? What are there jobs? How long do o spend with them each appointment? Do i see them weekly? Have they got mental health qualifications? I don't know anything about a support worker as it my first time and I am so nervous I am thinking about cancelling which i have done three times now.

Wonderland. 07-05-2017 05:44 PM

The support worker I have actually used to work on one of my local wards with the OTs as a TI (Technical Instructor).

She helps me more with things I want/need to do in the community just struggle with because of my mh. So she's been to the gym with me, we've been out for coffee, she's come to meetings with me, and helped out arranging to meet a volunteer place. Oh and she's also helping me make a personal WRAP journal.

We still talk about things going on in my life, any mh stuff etc. I see mine once a fortnight but it will depend on your careplan how often you need to see yours. It varies how long I see her each time depending what we are doing sometimes it's just checking in with how I'm doing for half an hour, other times like when we go to the gym she's with me for an hour and a half.

I guess it's really a lot down to you on what you want to use the time for, within there remit.

Entropy 07-05-2017 08:04 PM

Hi, I hope you manage not to cancel your appointment. Could you maybe write down a list of questions you have and ask them at the initial meeting tomorrow?

HopeRises 07-05-2017 09:29 PM

I can't answer your questions but try not to cancel your appointment. If you keep cancelling you will never find out.

I think taking some questions with you is a good idea.

Pomegranate 07-05-2017 11:12 PM

I work as a support worker in the community, mainly with adults with learning disabilities but also with a couple of service users with mental health issues. I've also had a support worker through the CMHT myself. In my experience the role tends to depend on the needs of the person receiving the support. For some people it's helping them to manage their symptoms and anxieties around different tasks, for example cooking or the gym or shopping, for others it is about administering medication or coming up with distractions, or being an ear for their problems. I guess a support worker helps people with extra support needs to manage their day to day lives as well as they can. Some people have support for 15 minutes a fortnight, others have support 7 hours a day! It's really varied and depends on what you need and want.

Re training, there is some basic training that is a legal requirement. Companies or organisations then have their own training that they expect staff to attend which is focused on the client group they are supporting. Staff will also have regular supervision and access to an on call service for advice if they need it. Generally they will be able to see you more frequently than your CC and can be a point of contact for you as well and feedback to the rest of the team about any changes etc.

_wendy_ 10-05-2017 09:22 AM

Little late now, hope your appointment went ok.

A support worker is a general term. There are many varieties of support worker depending on the needs of the person. They will all work in a very similar way but have a slightly different focus. I am qualified as a peer support worker, which again, the role then depends on the location - community, hospital etc etc

Let us know how you got on


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.