RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Is Seroquel (quetiapine) worth the side effects? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241986)

lilred 12-08-2016 12:20 AM

Is Seroquel (quetiapine) worth the side effects?
 
A few months ago I was on a super low dose of Seroquel (25 mg at first, then 12.5 mg). I was doing really good on it and didn't like the side effect having to sleep the medicine off for 12 hours, so I got permission from the psychiatrist to go off of it. Withdraw was awful, I barely slept a week. It really did work last time and now that I'm struggling again the dr gave me the choice to go back on it. Is it worth taking when I have to sleep all the time?

HopeRises 12-08-2016 12:28 AM

What version did you take? Did you take the prolonged release version?
I also believe but don't quote me on it that the bigger the dose the less sedating it can be

lilred 12-08-2016 01:29 AM

No, it wasn't the prolonged release one. The bottle says quetiapine fumarate. The small dose I was on worked and it even worked when I started halving the pills, so I don't think my dose would increase.

lilred 12-08-2016 06:14 PM

I was on it for bipolar, not for sleep. Sorry should have clarified in my original post.

tiptoes 12-08-2016 07:08 PM

The dosing range of quetiapine is quite large and depending on the symptoms it is being used to treat will determine the dose. As others have said it gets less sedating with higher doses.

I take it for bipolar and it has been the best medication I have tried, depending on what symptoms of my bipolar need controlling my dose changes quite a bit and I have found it less sedating with time.

If it was helpful before, maybe it would be worth discussing trying it again?

Ballerina123 12-08-2016 08:35 PM

I guess if you have been on it before than you are the best judge.

I know that's not what you want hear but really if you know how it affects you it's up to you to make a decision about weather you can tolerate it baring in mind the advantages.

lilred 12-08-2016 11:05 PM

Thank you all, I think I'm gonna go back on it, because last time it helped me stop cutting (impulse control). I am not looking forward to the withdrawal but I can deal with that when it comes. For now, I guess it's best just to stay safe.

lilred 12-08-2016 11:07 PM

Tiptoes, what kind of symptoms require a higher dosage? I did find 25 mg to be helpful with my impulse control issues.

lilred 13-08-2016 11:29 PM

I had an absolutely horrible vivid nightmare that seemed to last all night last night and I know it was because of the quetiapine. Anyone else have this?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.