RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Prozac question (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232325)

LittleCloud 23-04-2015 04:02 PM

Prozac question
 
Hey all,
I have recently changed meds to prozac. I've been taking it around a week and have a few side effects- numb sort of feeling, feel a bit fluey, exhausted but can't sleep. Anyone have these side effects? How long until they go?

Steel Maiden 23-04-2015 04:39 PM

Emotional numbing can occur with antidepressants in some.

Flu-like symptoms are a known side-effect but they wear off with time. Maybe a few weeks.

Exhausted but can't sleep - also a known side-effect. In fact fluoxetine is quite well known to cause insomnia in some. That takes a bit longer to wear off.

I've been on fluoxetine for OCD. I had similar symptoms to you, but no emotional numbing as far as I can remember.

Epicene 23-04-2015 04:51 PM

As Oly said, these side-effects tend to wear off after a while. It's generally one of the better tolerated meds but if after a while you see no improvement (or the negatives outweigh the benefits) then speak to your doctor.

LittleCloud 23-04-2015 10:45 PM

Thanks guys- like I said, just a week so far. It's definitely an improvement on the way paroextine eventually failed. Hoping the effects go. As it is, I've been working paid night shifts quite a bit since I started prozac so if anything you could say to some extent the insomnia has some bonuses

Epicene 24-04-2015 08:42 AM

I've heard some really nasty things about paroxetine. The evidence does suggest Prozac is better so fingers crossed!

sherlock holmes 24-04-2015 09:24 AM

Yeah, paroxetine was not fun. I was given it as a 16/17 year old.

But with prozac the side effects will wear off over the next few weeks. You should start to get the majority of its beneficial effect in 4-8 weeks or so.

Ballerina123 24-04-2015 10:56 AM

I'm having the same problems with my prozac atm especially the emotional numbing.
It's good to know it will wear off over time x

LittleCloud 24-04-2015 02:33 PM

I'm sorry your going through that too. It's not fun. I feel sick a lot too. Paroextine was actually a lot better than other things- Zoloft was the horror for me. Feeling a lot like I want to use this lack of appetite- eating feels as awful inside as it does in my head

LittleCloud 27-04-2015 12:13 PM

To those who take Prozac- once the initial side effects wear off, did you have any side effects?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.