RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Meds for Hyperkinetic Disorder. (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222804)

Steel Maiden 24-05-2014 01:50 PM

Meds for Hyperkinetic Disorder.
 
I was diagnosed with Hyperkinetic Disorder when I was four years old, along with a few other diagnoses due to severe behavioural problems (I would never stop screaming, running about and throwing / breaking things, and I was banned from regular nursery because I would spontaneously attack people there).

I am obviously not like this anymore but I still struggle with mood swings (more to high than low) and hyperkinesis.

I know pharmacologically that I cannot take most of the drugs for Hyperkinetic Disorder (related to ADHD if that helps) not only due to interactions, but also to do with general health problems. I am wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge about meds to treat hyperkinesis.

I have had to take clonazepam yesterday and today because it is literally the only way I can sit still and not be running around the house, stimming severely and constantly and talking really fast.

My hyperkinesis was relatively low level in the past due to taking olanzapine (which calms me down in general, as well as treating my schizophrenia). But ever since I was put on antidepressants (first sertraline, and now clomipramine) for OCD, my hyperkinesis has become severe again, to the point that I've been to A&E a few times literally feeling like my body was about to explode even though I had been walking fast all around the house for an hour.

I really need to work something out. I'm seeing my psychiatrist on Tuesday but I would like to present my research first. I have been reading up in my neuropharmacology textbook but it is not giving me much help or detail. I've been reading research papers, but most of them say take stimulants, which no way I am doing that.

Pi.R^2 26-05-2014 04:36 PM

I'm sorry you didn't get any replies to this- to be honest, I don't know if any of us could provide any more helpful suggestions than what you and your psychiatrist will be able to come up with, because you're so knowledgeable and well-informed!

I hope that someone else who does have experience with this might come along and share any ideas they have :)

not_so_insig 28-05-2014 05:04 PM

The reason is why I didn't reply is that I don't understand what hyperkinetic disorder is. Perhaps if you could explain what it is or provide a non technical link then perhaps you will get some more replies.

Steel Maiden 02-06-2014 08:51 AM

It's basically ADHD except that I can concentrate very well if I like what I'm doing. I present more like restlessness, hyperactive behaviour, talking too fast and not being able to stop moving.

I found out about guanfacine. I'll ask my psychiatrist tomorrow. I've already emailed her.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.