RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   999 what's the emergency (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214649)

havealittlefaith 17-10-2013 10:57 PM

999 what's the emergency
 
Does anyone else watch this did anyone see the guy cut himself on camera surly they should not have allowed that??

EMH 18-10-2013 08:47 PM

yeah i saw this. i was surprised. they said before it was on that there were scenes of self harm, which i expected just to be the scars. i kind of found it weird he would want to cut whilst being filmed, it feels like such a private thing for me

ajrocks 18-10-2013 09:24 PM

yes i saw that and my jaw hit the floor i just couldn't believe they would show that on t.v and also i was a bit like wtf was the camera person doing? surely noone could stand there and let that happen just for a documentary (that had nothing to do with why he actually went to hospital in first place either) yeah i was just disgusted really.and it triggered me off as i wasn't expecting that. like blue star said i was expecting scars or something

Cacoethes 18-10-2013 10:55 PM

there are loads of TV programmes and films and stuff that show people getting stabbed and impaled on stuff and other general violence. I understand why it would be upsetting, but they did warn viewers, it didn't say 'showing scenes of self harm scars' it said 'scenes of self harm'.

I don't understand why someone would cut themselves on TV, seems odd to me, but that's TV for you I suppose.

griddlebone 19-10-2013 01:56 AM

I didnt watch it but Im guessing his state of mind might not of been 100% and therefore he might not have cared/registered that he was doing it on TV or something?

Its a documentary and I think with programmes like that you should expect to see just about anything. I would understand people being appalled by it if there was no warning but there was one so I dont see the issue?

sherlock holmes 19-10-2013 10:36 AM

I'm going to watch it shortly. To be honest, I think this time around on this programme C4 have not been entirely ethical with their film making. They frequently feature vulnerable people in situations that had they been in a clear frame of mind they probably wouldn't have wanted to be filmed.

For instance last week with Margarita who OD'd, and then afterwards argued with her partner and had an abortion. She talked very candidly about her problems, and she came across as an extremely vulnerable person who probably does not understand the consequences of what she was doing by being on the documentary.

And if they show a person self harming they will obviously be in considerable distress and not in a place where they can consent to being filmed and understand the consequences.

griddlebone 19-10-2013 11:03 AM

I watched it.....hes wasnt exactly in the frame of mind to be concerned about doing it on film as far as I could see!

The most distressing one for me was watching the old lady who was hallucinating after drinking.

I dont watch these programmes for the simple reason that I know something in them will make me really sad and I also dont agree to people who are going to hospital/called an ambulance should be filmed.

happywondering 19-10-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrannicide (Post 3672720)
OMG HOW CAN THEY DO THIS? THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE, WE SHOULD ALL WRITE A PETITION TO THE DAILY MAIL TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT. THE DAILY MAIL WILL INCLUDE LOTS OF IMAGES OF THE SCENES JUST TO SHOW EVERYONE HOW ATTROCIOUS IT IS>

huehue

Andy, you said it all

sherlock holmes 19-10-2013 08:51 PM

The camera crew for this documentary turned up to where my mum works and were insistant on filming the medical emergency that was going on- a man with dementia in considerable distress and very confused, wont go into specifics. But the manager of where my mum works said she didn't want them filming, and the director kept saying she had a right to film etc and it got very heated.

The old guy certainly didn't have the mental capacity to consent to being filmed, and from what I gather he was never asked if he wanted to be filmed. Though I think the camera crew were eventually prevented from filming and left. Not sure if what they did get will make it to the programme or not.

happywondering 20-10-2013 12:06 PM

Yea, it does seem to me that they missed their ethics lectures in favour of being douchebags.

Foxtrot Oscar 20-10-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajrocks (Post 3672712)
yes i saw that and my jaw hit the floor i just couldn't believe they would show that on t.v and also i was a bit like wtf was the camera person doing? surely noone could stand there and let that happen just for a documentary (that had nothing to do with why he actually went to hospital in first place either)

That raises an interesting ethical and moral debate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by happywondering (Post 3673374)
Yea, it does seem to me that they missed their ethics lectures in favour of being douchebags.

I don't agree with that at all. Channel Four gave a very specific warning after the final advertisement break that scenes of graphic self harm were about to be shown. One can make a choice as to whether one chooses to watch or not. Calling them 'douchebags' seems someone harsh and immature I have to say.

Cacoethes 20-10-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxtrot Oscar (Post 3673391)
I don't agree with that at all. Channel Four gave a very specific warning after the final advertisement break that scenes of graphic self harm were about to be shown. One can make a choice as to whether one chooses to watch or not. Calling them 'douchebags' seems someone harsh and immature I have to say.


I think Happywondering meant the producers/director people Sarah.

Icecube. Swirls 20-10-2013 01:15 PM

It made me extremely triggered.

[Luna] 20-10-2013 01:24 PM

As someone said previously, I found the poor lady that was hallucinating after drinking more distressing. They did provide a warning which kind of covers their arses. I just felt sorry for the bloke, he was obviously suffering and was very distressed about how his life was.

sherlock holmes 20-10-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxtrot Oscar (Post 3673391)
That raises an interesting ethical and moral debate.



I don't agree with that at all. Channel Four gave a very specific warning after the final advertisement break that scenes of graphic self harm were about to be shown. One can make a choice as to whether one chooses to watch or not. Calling them 'douchebags' seems someone harsh and immature I have to say.

It's not about whether they warn people there'll be graphic or distressing scenes, it's the fact that the director and film makers were allowed to film people who (probably) did not have the mental capacity to consent to being filmed and understand the consequences.

havealittlefaith 20-10-2013 02:08 PM

Surly the people would have had to consent before or after filling ??

sherlock holmes 20-10-2013 02:37 PM

They dont always need consent as far as I am aware, and even if a person doesn't consent they just blur the face but still show the footage.

But even if they DID ask consent, I doubt those people would have the capacity to understand.

Enthused 20-10-2013 02:41 PM

Whoever reads the daily mail needs a slap

Foxtrot Oscar 20-10-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherlock holmes (Post 3673465)
They dont always need consent as far as I am aware, and even if a person doesn't consent they just blur the face but still show the footage.

But even if they DID ask consent, I doubt those people would have the capacity to understand.

That is somewhat assumptive.

ajrocks 20-10-2013 04:27 PM

What confused me is that the guy in question-this was the story they showed on him-He was trying to get himself off drink suddenly without help so as a consequence he was having severe withdrawals and had to call an ambulance which he'd previously had to do due to fitting etc ok so that was his story and so when they said scenes of self harm I thought ok theirs scenes of self harm fine ive been warned i'll see how it goes and turn it over if needs be so when he came on the screen and they were interveiwing him about going to the hospital and his alcoholism that was to be expected that was fine after all thats what he went in for so then when he suddenly picks up this knife I was like WHAT?? I actually did say that lol!
So for me yes I'd been warned but I had no idea it was just going to turn into that,I was thinking it would be a completely different person because their had been no hint of him having a problem with self harming at all prior to that.
So in relation to his story I felt like hmmm they are going off on a tangem here (if thats how you spell it!)
The programme is about the emergency crew and the peoples problems they deal with-they didn't deal with that with him at all.
So i thought why put that in? its called 999 whats the emergency not 999 whats the emergency and every other problem you have in your life you're struggling to deal with that we actually didn't take you to hospital for!
anyways yeah thats my take on it.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.