RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Propranolol (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212724)

Ballerina123 24-08-2013 08:28 PM

Propranolol
 
Anyone tried this?
What was your experience?

talaiporia 24-08-2013 08:36 PM

Yes, it's helped a lot.

What are you taking it for, anxiety? It's supposed to work on physical symptoms (for me: nausea, vomiting, dizziness) but I did find it helped me have less thoughts racing in my head (ie. calmer) maybe because I was calmer all the time, and generally made everything seem a lot easier to do/manage.

MissAnonymous 24-08-2013 10:12 PM

It slowed my heart down, and it helped a bit from memory, it was good with my 'shakiness' and sweating. I suppose I could say it calmed my body and the fight or flight reactions down a bit, like, heightening my threshold for physical symptoms, they became a bit less pronounced. I did have to stop taking it due to worries about low blood pressure and there was an ambivalence over its helpfulness at the time.

This thread has reminded me its something I could/would try again. It would be more suitable now than before because I am eating a lot better. If you take it, remember to eat AND DRINK well, low blood pressure is a side effect at the best of times.

talaiporia 24-08-2013 10:16 PM

Oh yeah, even from someone who eats healthily, you do have to make sure you're eating or drinking - during revision I'd forget and then I'd suddenly get very tired/dizzy and need to eat. It is definitely worth any side effects though IMO.

Fire Fly 24-08-2013 10:32 PM

It really helped me when I was taking it regularly with my anxiety and generally keeping my heart rate down. It also stopped me from fainting due to anxiety. What are using it for? X

sherlock holmes 25-08-2013 09:25 AM

I've been on it before, a few years ago, but can't remember if it helped or not. I don't think I got any side effects.

Stellata 25-08-2013 09:27 AM

It helped the first time round, when my panic attacks were very severe.

However when I took it again a couple of years later, it made me dissociate [as it was suppressing the feelings, if that makes sense?] and also enhanced insomnia. But I often have a weird reaction to medication.

Ballerina123 25-08-2013 04:50 PM

Thanks for you experiences they have helped.

I'm going to be taking it for two reasons: because I have a tremor from lithium and it helps with tremor and for mild anxiety that I have every day.

MissAnonymous 25-08-2013 06:09 PM

Oh yeah, I took it for the tremors I had, it worked well. That's what I meant about shakiness. I used to have tremors that were quite noticeable to other people and it made me look as anxious as I felt which in turn made me really self conscious and more anxious!

Emsie 29-08-2013 07:23 PM

I was on it regularly for about a year but it only helped with the physical symptoms of anxiety, not the thoughts. I now only take propranolol when I'm struggling with physical symptoms of anxiety and take pregabalin daily instead. It has changed my life for the better. Also be careful with your blood pressure because propranolol lowers it and you could get some horrible symptoms like dizziness, lightheadedness and confusion.

beautifulpain 29-08-2013 07:52 PM

I was on it, but came off it as I have raynards syndrome (v.poor circulation, blue/white/red hands and feet when cold etc), and it made it so much worse! So bear this in mind If your circulation isn't great

DontLookUp 29-08-2013 11:07 PM

I had this prescribed for like 2 months a couple of years ago to slow my hear rate. I personally had really bad stomach pain when I took it for nearly a month, which then settled down but then I found it wasnt really helping much or doing anything for me so i stopped taking it. It could be it just wasnt right for me or maybe dosages etc.

Ballerina123 05-09-2013 06:10 PM

Thanks for your experiences. I will probibly be starting in this on Tuesday.

Can I ask what dose you took?

Thanks


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.