RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Veterans Board (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Emotional Support Pet. (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210213)

Koriandr 30-06-2013 06:46 PM

Emotional Support Pet.
 
So, I'm going to move to the west soon,

Basically, I have a pet rabbit. My sole purpose for getting her was so that I could have something alive to take care of to get my thoughts together. Plus, having a pet was very soothing for me and a big part of my, heh, 'recovery'.

So, I've been looking for apartments and a lot of them do not accept rabbits.
My therapist recommended that I don't tell them that I have a rabbit until they accept me for rent and then after I've been accepted, she would write a letter alerting my landlord that I have an Emotional Support Animal.

I was just wondering,
Has anyone tried this before? And did it work? Isn't there some loophole that the landlord could use to kick me out because of my animal? Especially since rabbits aren't allowed in these apartments.

Greyscale 01-07-2013 01:08 AM

They can't legally kick you out if you meet all of the requirements for having an ESA. It is covered under the Fair Housing Act, and if they kick you out you will have legal recourse under that. Now that's not to say they couldn't try to kick you out, but you have the law on your side. I do believe there is a thing that, to be covered under the FHA, they have to have a minimum number of units (I think 4, but you should look into this yourself), so if you want to be covered, you need to rent somewhere that has the minimum number of units or more.

Koriandr 02-07-2013 07:04 AM

Thank you so much for this information!
I will definitely look into the number of units issue.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.