RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Hallucinations (Alcohol) (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203470)

dollpart 07-02-2013 07:57 PM

Hallucinations (Alcohol)
 
A few times after drinking I have seen/ felt things crawling, or creeping, either on my skin or on things around me. It doesn't always happen, but after a heavy drink it occurs, also sometimes intense paranoia. WHAT is happening? Does anybody else get this?

NOTE: I MEANT THE MORNING AFTER HAVING DRUNK, NOT WHILE INTOXICATED, THAT THE SEEING THINGS STARTS

Poppet6 07-02-2013 08:02 PM

How much have you drank when you start to hallucinate?

I think if you drink a lot it is possible to see things that arent there as it messes with your brain.

I can only recommend that you dont drink as much x

Zedebee 07-02-2013 08:35 PM

Alcohol really can mess with yoir brain..

Ballerina123 07-02-2013 08:56 PM

This has happened to me in the past. Especially when you mix alcohol with psych meds x

dollpart 07-02-2013 09:01 PM

Explanation/ Background (From my blog...)

Today my mum came with me to the psychiatrist. I like Dr B. No bullshit, no faffing around issues. He is pretty straight talking and, while I can see why other people don’t like that, I appreciate it. So… new anti-psychotics with a cute sort of name, to be taken in the morning. Chill-pills, quite literally. Because, although I quite enjoy Quetiapine, it isn’t good to give such a sedative to someone with an alcohol abuse problem.
And here’s the thing.
The hallucinations I experienced last week are more likely to have been caused by acute alcohol withdrawal, than by my bipolar disorder. Dr.B asked me directly if I thought alcohol had anything to do with seeing things. I think I might have blushed, because somewhere in me I know that’s the case. My Care Co-ordinator (also pretty cool) said that crawling/ creeping/ skin bug tactile sorts of hallucinations were typical of alcohol related hallucinations.
And then I went for a drink.
But… if I want to live any kind of reasonable life (and every now and then I do) I need to sort this out. I am not in an “episode” right now; I am not depressed, I am not high, I am not “mixed”- I may be mildly low but it’s nothing too serious. I am, quite seriously, drinking my mind away. Tomorrow, I’ve a seminar clashing with my alcohol appointment. I really, really cannot miss another seminar. But I will rearrange.
Sometime.
Soon.
Perhaps.

Tags

talaiporia 16-02-2013 02:32 AM

I'm glad you were able to talk to your psych. I hope the new meds help.

What help do you have for the alcohol issues? It sounds quite risky if withdrawal causes such severe physical symptoms, and you need to be careful with it.

dollpart 17-02-2013 06:07 PM

Im meant to start alcohol counselling soon...
Scared, I am starting not to be able to not drink, I feel panicky until I drink, sick, actually frightened, jumpy. Bit shaky.
I hate it...

thanks for replying

Zedebee 17-02-2013 08:30 PM

It sounds to me that for now you really need to address and focus on your alcohol use. Please do make sure you rearrange your appointment.

dollpart 17-02-2013 09:45 PM

I rearranged... then I missed it because I got lost. Really upset cos I look like a non-engager/ avoidance person and I'm not. Only had one drink today. I am freezing and sweaty.

mat 19-02-2013 08:09 AM

Their called delerium tremors.

dollpart 20-02-2013 06:24 AM

this shouldnt be happening to me

mat 20-02-2013 07:24 AM

well it is, and a lot of ppl can relate. Uh.... just try to make it funny idk.. I'm used to them apparently.

dollpart 21-02-2013 10:38 AM

starting alcohol counselling today...

****kkkk

Cacoethes 21-02-2013 11:38 AM

Good luck lovely x

Zedebee 21-02-2013 05:04 PM

Good luck!

dollpart 24-02-2013 02:11 AM

Thanks guys. It was weird. Trying to reduce for now. Feel bleak.

Zedebee 24-02-2013 03:58 PM

I'm sure it's bound to feel weird but well done for going and well done for trying to reduce. Try to think of it as baby steps. It will really help you in the long run.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.