RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Paintings about psychological disorders (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197180)

crunchycrystal 01-11-2012 01:32 AM

Paintings about psychological disorders
 
2 Attachment(s)
Over the summer I started creating a series of paintings, each one representing a psychological disorder. I just thought I would share them with others. I was also teaching myself how to paint with watercolor (I've only used acrylic up until now) and I know my technique could use improvement. In case anyone was wondering, the code at the bottom of each is the diagnostic code and the writing in the backgrounds is the medical description (taken from the DSM). Critiques would be great, I am always looking to improve! :-)

The first one is Major Depressive Disorder (Recurrent with Melancholic Features) and the second is Panic Disorder.

Buttons. 01-11-2012 09:55 AM

Oh I like these very much!! Clever idea.

Snow White. 01-11-2012 10:29 AM

I love them!
Clever indeed, and even the way you've written the diagnostic numbers, great work :)

crazykat 01-11-2012 10:58 AM

Wow these are quite amazing

[Purple_Rain] 01-11-2012 11:03 AM

I hink these are fantastic. very graphic-y and yet very technichally brilliant when it coems to the painting.

Pascal Reeve 01-11-2012 03:05 PM

Very talented! This is good work. In some sort it reminds me on Dali's style. I don't know why...

crunchycrystal 01-11-2012 10:58 PM

Thank you all so much for the encouragement! Pascal, it probably reminds you of Dali because of the drip technique. I love drip and art nouveau techniques and I combined them for this project. I would to have a showing once I complete the series but I've never done one before and have no idea how to go about having one (plus I am scared, the art community can be harsh at times). I am currently working on Bipolar II Disorder, but I am running into a block in regards to what other disorders I would want to feature. Are there any psychological disorders that anyone feels particularly passionate about? I would love to do one about SH but currently, the DSM does not recognize it as it's own thing. It is currently a sub-feature of OCD and Borderline (I wish they would change that because it is grossly inaccurate).

Wonderland. 01-11-2012 11:05 PM

I think you really captured the right emotions in these, they are brilliant (: what about trying to do one on dissociation.

akita 02-11-2012 02:19 AM

They are great.

Tig 02-11-2012 03:38 AM

These are brilliant x

Rubik'sCube 02-11-2012 03:43 AM

I love this concept, these are really good.

I also love art nouveau.

Was thinking of dissociation as a suggestion too

lost in dreams 02-11-2012 04:11 AM

ohhh i really like these. are you going to do more?

crunchycrystal 02-11-2012 07:36 PM

Yes, I want to do more when I go on break from grad school. I have five total so far and would like to have roughly ten pieces. Dissociation would be a great disorder to feature! Any ideas on how a portrait of a woman with that would look? It's so difficult to capture something so complex into one still painting. Again thank you all for the kind words! It is so encouraging! :-)

Scaredy-cat 02-11-2012 08:15 PM

Could you try something with mania in it? Id imagine that would be a good one to try and portray

Myimmortalgirl 03-11-2012 09:18 PM

I love these! Especially love the first one

Pascal Reeve 05-11-2012 04:05 PM

You should put all of your works when you finish them. Critique is always welcome for the artist even from people that are not too much in art :)

crunchycrystal 05-11-2012 10:30 PM

Yes, maybe I will do that! Scaredy-cat, the bipolar piece that I am in the middle of has a mania component, but maybe focusing on mania specifically would be an interesting idea! I will definitely look into it!

rubik's cube 07-11-2012 10:10 PM

omg. they're so amazing.

i bow down to your talent. seriously.

whenever i try to use watercolors, they just end up running into each other and soaking the page and i can't make them look as lovely and blended as you have. :)

seriously, you should consider putting them on t-shirts or sth. i'd buy it.

getting_by 07-11-2012 11:09 PM

LOVE THESE. How BEAUTIFUL! x

talaiporia 07-11-2012 11:12 PM

I've got to be honest, I'd quite like to see one of these for the whole DSM. :p They're amazing. I hope you keep it up. :)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.