RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Do you ever trigger yourself? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196397)

IdleButDeadly 20-10-2012 12:43 AM

Do you ever trigger yourself?
 
Sometimes I Google images of SI to trigger myself... I've never told anyone that... I don't know WHY I do it... it doesn't really make any sense. It's like I'm feeling slightly triggered, but not enough to lose control, so then I put myself in a situation so I guess I have an excuse... that hey, I was triggered and couldn't control myself...

Does anyone else do this? It kina makes me feel like a freak :S

silent_scars11 20-10-2012 04:22 AM

While I certainly wouldn't recommend it, yes, I unfortunately have done this to trigger myself before too. :sad:

Part of the reason for my doing it is like you said: pushing the slight trigger I'm already feeling over the edge so that I just go ahead and SI. Another reason I sometimes do it is that it gives me the sick pleasure of seeing self-harm cuts without actually hurting myself. Sometimes I'm actually able to look at a bunch of images and get my 'self-harm fill' without hurting myself afterwards (this doesn't always happen though). Either way, I know that it's not a good idea and am trying not to do it anymore, or at least not as frequently.

So you're definitely not a freak, but instead of further fueling your triggered mood, it would be a better alternative to do something completely non-SI-related, like going for a walk or a run, calling or visiting a friend, watching a happy/funny movie, listening to peaceful music, etc.

Celticroots 20-10-2012 08:58 PM

I've done this. Replaying conversations in my head that triggered me. Or looking up pictures of bruises or cuts to get triggered. I've also imagined using certain objects to hurt myself with.

melissafaith 20-10-2012 09:58 PM

I've done this. I do it, as you said, to almost give myself the excuse when I'm feeling just a bit triggered. It also makes me feel less crazy, as counter-intuitive as that sounds. If I know I'm going to SI anyway, having visual proof that I'm not the only person who does it makes me feel slightly better. I'm not sure how I feel about 'normalizing' it for myself though. I think that almost makes it worse.

IdleButDeadly 20-10-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissafaith (Post 3394643)
I've done this. I do it, as you said, to almost give myself the excuse when I'm feeling just a bit triggered. It also makes me feel less crazy, as counter-intuitive as that sounds. If I know I'm going to SI anyway, having visual proof that I'm not the only person who does it makes me feel slightly better. I'm not sure how I feel about 'normalizing' it for myself though. I think that almost makes it worse.

Yeah, the visual proof thing is also somewhat comforting.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this... Well, not glad in the sense that I hate to know other people feel as crappy :( but it is comforting to know I'm not alone!

melissafaith 20-10-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdleButDeadly (Post 3394647)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this... Well, not glad in the sense that I hate to know other people feel as crappy :( but it is comforting to know I'm not alone!

I know exactly what you mean. When I saw your post I felt this sense of relief. As in, "thank god I'm not the only one who does this!" So while I hate that other peoplefeel they have to do this, I do fine it reassuring to have confirmation I'm not alone.

DoveInGrey 21-10-2012 01:28 AM

Yep I do this too. :/

frosty172 21-10-2012 02:04 AM

I've done this as well, I've also used it to kind of desensitize myself to feeling depressed. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it makes sense in my head

IdleButDeadly 21-10-2012 03:37 AM

I feel like, when I'm doing it, like it's SI porn or something lol like I'm so paranoid someone will walk in when I'm looking at it, and it just feels so wrong :/

MyRecoveryTime 21-10-2012 03:45 AM

I do this

morbidflight 21-10-2012 05:45 AM

I do this too, just letting you know. And I feel the same kind of shame about it.

Aardbei 21-10-2012 10:25 AM

I do this too. If I'm having a bad day sometimes I just feel like I have to make myself feel worse. It's wallowing and it's bad, but I can't help it. So you're not alone x

CosetteDaae 22-10-2012 03:54 AM

Every single day I do this. I'm so ****ing sick of being slightly sad all the time that I do things to make myself really depressed because I find it less unpleasant than mild sadness.

The Doctor 22-10-2012 08:24 AM

im the same best way i explain it is a quote from Dexter "Blood. Sometimes it sets my teeth on edge, other times it helps me control the chaos." sorry if that quote offends. Its a double edge sword sometimes it helps keep your urge or need away or makes iit worse. Your not a freak, as your not the only one who does it

IdleButDeadly 22-10-2012 03:37 PM

I love Dexter :) perfect quote ;)

dairychick92 23-10-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaChristine (Post 3395998)
Every single day I do this. I'm so ****ing sick of being slightly sad all the time that I do things to make myself really depressed because I find it less unpleasant than mild sadness.

I completely agree. I'm tired of being just a little sad, usually for no reason. And usually seeing SI pics makes me feel either more depressed or it makes me feel better about myself.. That sounds realllyyy bad..

Gone. 23-10-2012 10:35 AM

I have done this once or twice in the past. It isn't something I care to admit.

Maybe you could look for positive images and quotes and things instead?

Or, if you need to feel that you're not alone in all of this, music can help.

getting_by 23-10-2012 10:59 AM

Totally agree with Shine on this one. I used to when I was younger. But now I look for positive quotes, poems or images. There are lots out there that have helped me. Makes me feel a lot less alone too. Or maybe try making your own positive images (not of self harm!) with your fave lines from songs etc. I have a collage book of them along with funny postcars etc.

Stay Safe x

Stargirlml 24-10-2012 02:16 AM

You're definitely not alone in this. No one knows that I do that almost every if not every other day

csu.claire 26-10-2012 01:54 AM

yep i've done this many times particulay when im feeling low

sometimes even comming on here to some of the threats can be a trigger

i think i do it so i can learn to control the urge or when watch a utube video to see it and not cut myself- i know that does sounf awuful though


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.