RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum and Community Questions (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   A Question Before I Introduce Myself... (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195933)

LizzieRose 10-10-2012 04:51 PM

A Question Before I Introduce Myself...
 
I wanted to introduce myself in the Introductions thread and I thought the best way was to share my story, but I'm super paranoid about it since I'm scared the moderators will think I'm doing something bad cause my story involves suicide, self-harm, and other things that are bad and/or triggering. I really don't wanna make anyone mad, so I came here to seek assistance to ease my paranoia. Is it okay to use my story as a way to introduce myself? Oh, can I also add my story to my profile? Or would that be bad...?

The One Who 10-10-2012 05:04 PM

Since the Introductions forum is listed within the 'General' board (with these forums being non-triggering), I'd say that to be so graphic is unnecessary. However, you are not your past or your present mental condition. You can introduce yourself without going into detail on these, or even at all.

LizzieRose 10-10-2012 05:37 PM

But my story is what makes me the slowly strengthening girl I am today. Even though it terrifies me to remember and some parts are lost in my slowly worsening memory, it's still important to me in the sense that I've grown from the experiences.

Stellata 10-10-2012 05:38 PM

It is your history, what has made you you, and that is important and worthy of respect and understanding.

The One Who 10-10-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellata (Post 3384135)
It is your history, what has made you you, and that is important and worthy of respect and understanding.

Yes, but it doesn't need to be told in graphic and/or triggering detail, especially not as way of an introduction.

LizzieRose 10-10-2012 06:00 PM

I was planning to keep it toned down.

FabulousMike 10-10-2012 06:01 PM

AlexiaJayy - Just go for it, go forth and introduce yourself.

Bellatrix 10-10-2012 06:49 PM

I disagree. A person shouldn't introduce themselves as 'I am x' or 'I have Y' or 'This happened to me when I was 7'.

I see that you already pin a lot of labels on yourself from your signature, and I'm wondering if you could maybe introduce yourself in a different way, and save the darker/triggering stuff for the serious boards.

What's your name (or screen name if you don't want to share!)
What are your interests?
If you won a million pounds what would you do?

Introducing yourself doesn't mean you have to label yourself.

Welcome to the site love :)

The One Who 10-10-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellatrix (Post 3384189)
I disagree. A person shouldn't introduce themselves as 'I am x' or 'I have Y' or 'This happened to me when I was 7'.

I see that you already pin a lot of labels on yourself from your signature, and I'm wondering if you could maybe introduce yourself in a different way, and save the darker/triggering stuff for the serious boards.

That's what I was trying to say, essentially. You aren't your history, nor are you your diagnosis. Of course they play a part in making you who you are, but there is a lot more to you than those alone. You wouldn't introduce yourself to a new work colleague, or school mate, or anyone in real life by giving them your life story.

Pi.R^2 10-10-2012 07:34 PM

I'd say in terms of rules, definitely don't post anything graphic in your introduction post for a start.
In terms of social etiquette and stuff, it might be advisable to post more about who you are beneath any issues you have.
It wouldn't be against the rules to say
Quote:

Hi I'm Jenna I self harm and have anorexia and a personality disorder
but it's not really the best way to introduce yourself. In my personal opinion, if it's important to you to mention stuff like that, something like
Quote:

Hi, I'm Jenna, I'm 21 and I study maths. I collect tic tac boxes and enjoy Salad Fingers and cookies. I've come to this site looking for support to help me recover from some mental health problems.
would be more appropriate.

There is plenty of opportunity in other more appropriate boards to seek more in depth support for issues relating to self harm and suicide.

Buttons. 10-10-2012 07:36 PM

^ What she said.

ajrocks 10-10-2012 08:51 PM

i think if you want to write your story in the introductions then write a quick scaled down version for example i wrote stuff along the lines of i have bipolar blah di blah but no details at all i don't see anything wrong in writing an introduction like that,have a look at others introductions too first but yes i would say the details that you mentioned should be kept in serious or other threads but if you don't feel like writing a nice positive introduction then don't you can write what you like within reason (as long as it wouldn't potentially upset or trigger other people.) hope that makes sense hope you find the support you need :-) p.s you can also write in your journal entries too that might help x

PassedExpectations 11-10-2012 03:45 PM

also, if you're wanting support... an introduction isn't the way to get it. the introductions board doesn't get much traffic and isn't designed for getting advice or support. it is more to just let people know that you're there and say hi

Animad 11-10-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenna
I collect tic tac boxes and enjoy Salad Fingers and cookies.

You collect tic tac boxes and enjoy 'salad fingers'... I think if that's true it's a MH issue of it's own LOL!!!

Pi.R^2 11-10-2012 07:08 PM

No word of a lie.
I may be madder than was first assumed :p

Stellata 11-10-2012 07:14 PM

What's a salad finger?!

FabulousMike 11-10-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellata (Post 3385105)
What's a salad finger?!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3iOROuTuMA"]Salad Fingers 1 - Spoons - YouTube[/ame]

Pi.R^2 11-10-2012 07:24 PM

:')
..

LizzieRose 12-10-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellatrix (Post 3384189)
I disagree. A person shouldn't introduce themselves as 'I am x' or 'I have Y' or 'This happened to me when I was 7'.

I see that you already pin a lot of labels on yourself from your signature, and I'm wondering if you could maybe introduce yourself in a different way, and save the darker/triggering stuff for the serious boards.

What's your name (or screen name if you don't want to share!)
What are your interests?
If you won a million pounds what would you do?

Introducing yourself doesn't mean you have to label yourself.

Welcome to the site love :)

Those are just labels society would put on me, but I don't necessarily care; in reality, I'm myself. I just put that there cause I had no idea what else to put, but if I really shouldn't have them, then I can remove it...

griddlebone 12-10-2012 01:35 AM

Its fine,dont worry :] x


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.