RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Has anyone had Sertraline? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194699)

Kittyenna 14-09-2012 07:56 PM

Has anyone had Sertraline?
 
Hi, I've previously for a while now been one both citalopram and mirtazapine, however they've had little effect. Those overseeing my care would now like to change me to sertraline, as this helps not only depression but also is meant to help PTSD. Has anyone else had any experience of it?

whirlpools 14-09-2012 08:02 PM

I've been on Sertraline before, it was okay, seemed to help and I didn't have any side-effects from it :)

Wonderland. 14-09-2012 08:07 PM

I was prescribed it a while ago to help with my anxiety. Unfortunately it wasn't right for me it made really impulsive which isn't good especially when you already have problems with being too impulsive. That was the only side effect I experienced from it, but it was rather a big one so I had to be taken off of it.

But what doesn't work for one person works for another.

Kittyenna 14-09-2012 08:17 PM

Thanks very much, I'm really scared about taking it :(

Wonderland. 14-09-2012 08:23 PM

Try not to worry to much about it. Your doctor has to keep an eye on things for the first month or so of trying a new antidepressant, so someone will be overseeing things and can intervene like they did with me when things went pear shaped with it.

whirlpools 14-09-2012 09:39 PM

I agree with Amy, make sure you check in with a doctor/professional regularly for the first little while, especially if you're under 25.

Aardbei 14-09-2012 09:45 PM

I was on sertraline for quite a while and it really worked for me :) unfortunately after around 2 years of taking it, it stopped being so effective, so I was switched to something else. The thing about medication is that everybody reacts differently so all you can do is try it and see if it works for you x

[Frostbitten] 17-09-2012 09:26 PM

It didn't work for me; gave me palpitations, nausea and severe dizziness, but I've heard of other people that found it really helpful. You can't ever tell how you'll react to something, but I do know that sertraline is considered to be one of the safest antidepressants :)

Patch. 17-09-2012 09:35 PM

Good luck with it!
I wasn't so lucky. It didn't really do anything for me.
You mich experience some mild side effects at the start like shakyness and reduced appetite. It messed up my sleep as well. Side effects wern't that bad though.

I'm trying to come off it at the moment and it's hard to come off of, then again I was on the max dose.

Like Mali said it works differently for everyone. Good lucks x

Kittyenna 17-09-2012 09:38 PM

Thanks very much guys! I'm a bit worried about the cross over of finishing citalopram/mirtazapine and starting sertraline, did it mdke anyone feel worse at first?

Kittyenna 17-09-2012 09:39 PM

Thanks patch! Its the beginning I'm most worried about. Sorry I didn't see your comment until after I posted mine above x

Patch. 17-09-2012 09:53 PM

is your doc helping you taper off the mirtazapine & citalopram?
In my experience if the previous meds have had little effect then you won't notice much difference. It's something you could speak to your doc about though. Maybe he/she could increase contact time during the med change? x

Kittyenna 17-09-2012 09:58 PM

they're meant to be, but its been impossible to get an appointment, even though I know the psychiatrist has asked them to start reducing the dose so I can start the sertraline. I feel a bit like I'm being passed between them and not much is getting done :/ x e

Patch. 17-09-2012 10:06 PM

I can totally understand how frustrating that is.

Have you been given advice on how to come off the meds?
If not, keep trying to phone etc.

Keep making appointments etc and keep being honest with your team.

You can also PM me any time :) x

Backfromthebrink 18-09-2012 03:09 PM

I've taken it before and for the first couple of weeks I felt quite nauseaus but after that I had no bad effects from it.

Coming off one medication and going onto another is always going to cause some disturbances because you aren't going to be recieving the full dose of the antidepressent during the crossover, so if you are particularly worried about that period then try and get some support around you while you come of the medication.

Also as far as I can remember mitazipine can make you feel sleepy/ lethargic so you may miss the effects of it if you were using it to help you sleep.

Kittyenna 18-09-2012 09:37 PM

No, no-ones explained how to come off them or given me a perscription for a lower dose, Just feel like I'm in limbo. I've just started a new job and so feel like I can't ask for the time to go to the doctors even though I've managed to get an appointment for next week...

Thanks very much patch, I will sometime, same to you :) xx

Thanks backfromthebrink, I was using it for sleep so I'll keep that in mind

Patch. 18-09-2012 10:08 PM

Good luck for your appt next week love.

midnightphoenix 18-09-2012 10:28 PM

I'm on sertraline, personally I've never had a problem with it but as has already been said everyone reacts differently

Poppet6 19-09-2012 11:28 AM

I've been on sertraline, I had no side effects but it didnt do much if anything for my mood

BonBon 06-10-2012 10:14 PM

I'm on sertraline, and the only side effect I had was appetite and weight loss. Nothing too bad for me, but everything is different. It really helped me.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.