RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Olanzapine and extreme insatiable hunger (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193781)

Solar 27-08-2012 08:37 PM

Olanzapine and extreme insatiable hunger
 
Did anyone else have this side effect? A constant insatiable hunger, even when I am in physical pain from eating too much.

I am also anorexia as well as Bipolar Affectvie Disorder and this extreme hunger is freaking me out. I am pretty sure it is the Olanzapine causing it but I suppose it could just be the lasting effects of long term starvation.

If it is the Olanz then I think I want to change mood stabilisers as I can't cope with this. Each night is panic stations as I tall up what I have eaten. It has been very detrimental to my recovery.

Porcelain Child 27-08-2012 09:44 PM

It could be your Olanzapine.. I am on Olanzapine and have gained weight whilst on it.. If you really worried talk to your doctor/psychiatrist..

frenchhorn 27-08-2012 09:53 PM

I'm on olanzapine and have gained weight from it, it makes me really hungry, so it could be the olanzapine, talk to your psych or GP

random.swirls 27-08-2012 11:00 PM

I'm not Olazanapine but know from being in hospital etc. that it can cause excessive hunger etc.

Definately talk to your Dr about it and come to an agreement with them because I know when I was anorexic at times I would struggle with insatiable hunger etc.

DollyPOP 28-08-2012 07:53 AM

this happened to me when I was on Olanzapine. I was eating an adequate number of cals and it STILL wasn't enough. I think it's stupid to give people with Anorexia Olanzapine.

April_xx 28-08-2012 01:08 PM

I was prescribed Olanzapine. What dosagse are you on? x

Scumbelina 28-08-2012 03:44 PM

I wonder if there is something they could give you to counteract the side effect? Although with a history of Anorexia I'm not sure they'd be willing to prescribe an appetite suppresent.

If your medication is distressing you for whatever reason then it's counter-productive being on it. Talk to your doctor, see if you can change?

Solar 28-08-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touch of Pink (Post 3347195)
I was prescribed Olanzapine. What dosagse are you on? x

5mg so not even on a full dose, probably because of my weight.

Thanks to all those who have replied its nice to know that there may be some truth to my theory. I am going to discuss it with my GP on Friday and CPN next week.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.