RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   how to get rid of selfharm scars (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190385)

Gem-Louise 26-06-2012 11:22 PM

how to get rid of selfharm scars
 
How do i get rid of bad selfharm scars ...but this is going to sound stupid but i cant top cutting but i would like to get rid of the scars ?

LilMissEmma 26-06-2012 11:27 PM

I was told I would probably need some sort of surgery to sort mine out, but obviously they won't do that until you've stopped.

Tig 26-06-2012 11:28 PM

It doesn't sound stupid. I think a lot of people feel the same even whilst they still cut.

You can use stuff like bio-oil, I personally find bio-oil really effective. It is expensive but actually you can get quite a lot of use out of one bottle.

Some people say using any cream is good because the circular motion you use to rub it in massages the scars which loosens them - I was told that by a plastic surgeon I had to see. I know cocoa butter/cream is especially recommended there.

Dermatix is another option. You can get it on prescription but I think only if you are a long way in to recovery because it's expensive. Otherwise you can buy it in Boots or online.

Crushing up capsules of vitamin E on your skin is also said to be helpful.

One important thing is also to look after your cuts at the time you make them because obviously if the cut heals up badly, it's going to leave more of a scar so that will be harder to get rid of.

Gem-Louise 26-06-2012 11:35 PM

okay thanks

LilMissEmma 26-06-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

One important thing is also to look after your cuts at the time you make them because obviously if the cut heals up badly, it's going to leave more of a scar so that will be harder to get rid of.
This. If I dont get stitched when needed, or I take them out too soon and they open slightly, the scars are always worse. Getting stitches when you need them is a good idea. The scars are soooooo much thinner and not as keloid. If they don't quite need stitches, there's also steri strips.

Love_Bug 27-06-2012 08:34 PM

For the scars that are older I have heard that using some kinds of anti aging, age spot remover or color fixer. Olay Definity was the one that I heard about. I haven't tried it myself, but I was thinking about trying it. I have also heard a lot of good reviews on using stretch mark creams. For your newer cuts use something like neosporin (more than once) to make sure that it doesn't get infected. I was the same way before I stopped. (8 months free :D). Just make sure if you use any kind of scar removing product that you keep them away from your current cuts so that they don't get infected.

Cautiousoptimism 28-06-2012 06:52 AM

Definately Bio-Oil. I was put off it for years, in case my parents came upon it in my room and asked questions, but when I moved away I finally invested in some. And that's exactly what it is - an investment. My deepest scars are still there, obviously, but all of them (shallow or deep) are whiter and less noticeable. I've even been swimming since I started using Bio-Oil, which at one point seemed ridiculous and unimaginable!!

Zuri 30-06-2012 01:55 PM

what's the best way to get a hold of some bio-oil? I think I would like to try some...

not_so_insig 30-06-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuri (Post 3278829)
what's the best way to get a hold of some bio-oil? I think I would like to try some...

Try ebay. I have had a quick look and there are a couple of auctions which are based in Aus.

Other than that (if you cant use ebay due to being underage and you dont want to ask your parents), pharmacyonline is an Australian based website which sells bio oil.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.