RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Do self-harm/self-injury scars turn guys off? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183318)

Batteries Not Included 21-02-2012 06:50 AM

Do self-harm/self-injury scars turn guys off?
 
And if I go out in public with them showing, do you think i'll get a lot of crap for cutting myself?

They're on my upper thigh. And purple.

But it's really hot and I am starting to come to terms with them.
But yeah, I'm really nervous about going to public with any sort of scar showing....

And yeah, do they generally turn guys off?

Lotti 21-02-2012 07:21 AM

I dont know from experience as ive never self harmed, but I do have a lot of scars from surgery, it hasnt put guys off I dont think...

The answer to your question is that it may put some people off, and it may cause some people to give you grief, but these are the very people who are not worthy of your time. Stick to those that love you for who you are.

WinterSparkles 21-02-2012 09:34 PM

All the guys I've ever met/been involved with have never been openly negative about my scars/cuts. And anyone else who's ever seen them hasn't made a big deal of it (well, not to my face).

Scars can come from anywhere these days - it's like seeing someone with some other type of injury, no-one really bothers to ask where it's from.

With guys it might be easier to let them know beforehand (if you trust them), just so both of you are clear about what the other person does/knows =]

roses_for_the_dead 21-02-2012 10:03 PM

most the guys ive been with haven't mind, my bf now, as far as i know, doesnt bother about my scars, because he makes me take my cardy off and just little things like that.

the only time i have had issues is when an ex knew i was doing it when i thought he was asleep, but i guess thats fair enough.

but yeh like said above, might be a little bit better to tell them beforehand just so they don't feel weird and awkward about it maybe.

MaybeNotForever 21-02-2012 10:15 PM

My boyfriend encourages me to wear short sleeves in summer, and takes me swimming. He says my old scars aren't a problem, but making new ones is not allowed.

I've never had any comments from the general public about my scars, though they're pretty faded now. I think I get stared at a lot, especially when in swimming stuff, but I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or not. *shrugs*

ProzacSmile 21-02-2012 11:03 PM

If you meet a decent guy, it won't bother him. My bf hates when I cut, but he says the scars don't stop him from loving me or from finding me attractive. Like he says, he wouldn't sleep with me if they bothered him!
If any guy is put off by them then he isn't worth it! If you feel confident enough to go out with them showing then you do that!!

FabulousMike 21-02-2012 11:11 PM

I'm a guy and i'm not turned off by it at all!

staceyrawrcakes 23-02-2012 12:47 AM

Mine doesn't even seem that bothered by them. He doesn't like me making new ones which is fair enough.
I think if people think that it doesn't bother you then it's less likely to bother them if you get what I mean

Asura 23-02-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmike (Post 3146436)
I'm a guy and i'm not turned off by it at all!

Same. Might even kind of like them... You know, some people like tattoos because they (should) have a story, memories, and feelings behind them. Scars are the same way only they're even more deeply personal. In some creepy way I find scars attractive. :S

Rough_Diamond 23-02-2012 09:40 PM

From my experience, some guys have been 'turned off' by it. I think mainly it is quite a shock because I guess mostly when a guy sees you and likes you it doesn't run through his head, 'I wonder if she self-harms' and then when they see it may be too much for them to deal with. The way I go about handling this is to be very honest and up-front about it. If I'm getting to know or seeing a guy I tell him. Then there are no surprises or awkward moments later when you are getting intimate. I've had guys that have freaked out about it and not been able to cope with it but for me, that's completely acceptable and it's better to know early on because if they can't handle it, I won't want to be with them anyway. My current boyfriend has always been very understanding about it, and he once said it makes him love me more. So Asura - I don't think it's creepy that you find it attractive.

Gemx 30-06-2012 01:48 AM

I find guys usually stay away if they see scars :/ but i like to think if someone cared enough it really wouldnt be an issue. I think its really good that some guys are so supportive, its not creepy at all

Meganrose 30-06-2012 01:54 AM

I've never had anyone say that scars are a turn-off.
My forearms are almost always visible, and if people have purposefully not talked to me because of them, then I'd rather not talk to them either!
I've even asked a rather critical ex if it ever bothered them, and they said it didn't at all. (And this was someone who got with me as I had infected wounds!)
I think it's a good idiot-protection if nothing else. If someone has a problem with it, they're probably not worth being around. Having them instantly see your scars makes you not even have to bother with them!

TheGiantPanda 30-06-2012 05:34 AM

Doesnt bother me one bit, not at all. As somebody with lots of scars myself it would be a bit 2 faced.

MintSpaghetti 01-07-2012 04:30 AM

Funfact: I keep reading this as "do ... turn gays off?"
(Freud would've had fun with me, his whackjob theories..)

TBH if someone can't accept that that was part of your past, they're *probably* not worth it.
But really? they're scars. It doesn't change anything else about *you*

Could people be suprised initially? sure. Especially if they weren't expecting it. Sometimes shocked reactions come off wrong, just adding info here.

Paper_Tigers 01-07-2012 11:18 AM

To be honest, I have never ever had someone react badly to scars. I've had a guy ask "what's that" when he saw scars on my arm once, but he never reacted badly. Any other guy has just ignored the scars and not questioned them at all.
I think it's only if there are fresh marks or newish scars that, not turn them off, but make them worry about your well being.
And the way I see it, if a guy does not accept my scars, then he isn't worth it because my scars are a part of me, it would be like being "turned off" someone because they have freckles or something.

xMakeSomeNoisex 01-07-2012 11:34 AM

My ex never cared, they didn't bother him at all. One of my other ex boyfriends broke up with me when I told him about my self harm and the scars. The way I see it is that some guys mind but most don't. If someone really cares about you they won't be bothered by them at all.

You should be upfront about it first though because you do not want a guy who will ditch you once he finds out.

No guy has ever thought my scars were a turn off but than again over time my scars have faded a lot so only a few are still really noticeable.

FabulousMike 01-07-2012 11:36 AM

As i've said before they don't bother me AT ALL.

But if they do bother the guy then he's not worth wasting your time on...True story.

SilentBoy 01-07-2012 11:42 AM

They dont really have a negative effect on me.

If i see someone with scars it makes me more interested if anything, because i have them myself so it makes me want to know more about them and why they have them

LaurenG 01-07-2012 09:49 PM

I agree with the other responses, If he cant accept them then he probably isnt worth it. :)

Scaredy-cat 01-07-2012 10:00 PM

Im got a guy, but when i see a girl with scars that wouldnt turn me off (i like girls) unless theres absolutely massess all over their arms, i probably wouldnt look at them and be attracted to them on seeing them, but then if id been attracted to their personality then saw them i wouldnt care


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.