RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Veterans Board (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Hey.... (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175262)

Delicate Faerie 17-10-2011 07:32 PM

Hey....
 
Well, I don't use RYL much anymore, and I actually don't know if anyone will know me... however... I have guy trouble, and need some advice. This isn't your usual guy trouble either... :)

I'm 24... Never brought a guy home... my boyfriend and I have been together for nearly two months, and its about time I told my parents. How do I do this? I can't just come out with it?

He's coming around for dinner on Wednesday, (my parents suggestion) but they do not know he is my boyfriend - they mentioned it because we go out to dinner near enough every night and it'll be "cheaper", maybe that's secretly why they've invited him over because they've guessed but i feel like before he comes over Wednesday I should tell them

How do I do it? Why does this feel so hard to do? Maybe because I've left it until i'm 24, to "officially" have a boyfriend to my parents...

Help.. :(

Thank you. x

squirrelspit 17-10-2011 07:38 PM

Hey Lex..

i remember you! (i doubt you'll remember me :P )

i dont know what your parents are like.. but maybe theyre actually a bit relieved to think that you are seeing someone. means they dont have to plan out the granny flat extension and a space to keep 80 cats!

If i were you, i would tell them, but maybe sort of.. play it of as being a casual thing.. just sort of say 'oh, me and this boy are kind of seeing each other' and see how they react, then maybe in a week or so you can be like 'oh so he's my boyfriend now'

Hopefully him and your parents will get on really well and they will want him to be your boyfriend?

Sorry, this isnt very helpful advice.

Charlie

Daryl 20-11-2011 08:01 PM

yo yo, word up lex


Just blab it out, you will feel instant relief that your not hiding anything and there will be no arkwardness.


blam!.

Zurg 20-11-2011 08:27 PM

*screams*
LEX!!!!!!!
*runs to hug*

I have no useful advice whatsoever but i couldn't see this and not hug ya :)

Mandimoo 21-11-2011 12:02 AM

hey girl, i moved matthew in overnight to my mum and dad's house lol they'd never met him 'oh btw mum this is matt my fiance and he's living here now, cool ok?' lol

dazed1989 21-11-2011 12:50 AM

They probably already figured it out and wanted to meet the mystery man!!

You! Me! Dancing! 22-11-2011 06:53 PM

I remember you!

When I first told my family I was seeing someone, they initially teased me a lot, gave him a stupid nickname and kept asking annoying questions etc (I'm the youngest at 21 and everyone else is married off now), which really upset me because I really liked him a lot.

So when they were going to meet him, I said to everyone 'please be nice and don't embarrass him because he's really important to me and I want him to feel accepted' and they were all very well behaved. I think if I had explained beforehand when I first mentioned him that I really liked him, they may have been less horrible about it..

Not the same way round as your situation, but maybe if you just explain to them that he's an important person to you and to make him feel welcome so it isn't a shock to everyone if they aren't aware (though it sounds like they have guessed to me!).

Good luck :)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.