RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creativity and Reviews (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 the movie ***SPOILERS*** (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168908)

lifeasasymptom 12-07-2011 07:04 PM

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 the movie ***SPOILERS***
 
I’m just back and showered after the midnight showing of HP in 3D.
And I'm pretty sure that we in Aus get it first, so I thought I'd start this off.

Because I have a lot of Opinions about this film, and already people are sick of hearing them. so...strap yourselves in.

so I’m just gonna say what was great first:
  • the special effects
  • the enormity of the room of requirement when Harry goes to look for the diadem
  • lots of fighting.
  • the 19 years on part was really sweet, especially for the movie where you have no inner monologue so you know in the film too what Harry thinks of Snape in the end.
  • My eyes were watering when I saw Fred and by the time I saw Harry talk to his parents/friends, I was crying.
  • Neville kills Nagini
  • Ron and Hermione’s kiss.
  • The 3D really worked well.

BUT

things I didn’t like:
  • Harry snapped the Elder Wand and threw it away
  • Dacro ‘crossed back to the darkside’ to join his parents, who then ran anyway
  • They screwed up the Deathly Hallows completely.
  • They made some subtexts smash you over the head, and missed others all together.

They didn’t seem to be able to create a film that could end with the acceptance of duality.
  • The wand/stone/cloak will always be there: they can be used and misused and it is temptation - or our choices - that decide this good/bad question for us.
  • Draco and his mother and father don’t care about sides, so long as there together - in the movie first they had to defect through the evil side because Draco could never be good. The whole point is that love is bigger than good and evil, it is love and it will flourish regardless of good or evil and it cannot belong to either side.
  • They showed James (Harry’s dad) as being only boyishly annoying once - rather than the idea that he could be a bastard but could still be a nice man and a great father.


They had 180 minutes and they failed to fit more than 1/4 of 1/4 of the whole book in.
  • They ignored the whole Dumbledore sub-plot.
  • They ignored a whole lot of the Deathly Hallows sub-plot and how it could be pieced together.
  • They ignored the Neville-centric subplot and kept him as a kind of funny but useful helper rather than showing him as the true warrior he’d grown to be. Though he did give a great speech that almost matched what he was capable of in the book.
  • They didn’t give us the Helena Ravenclaw sub-plot. They didn’t examine the personal jealousy and good and evil and emotions we can have within ourselves that we are not proud of, and how we can make amends for this, even when it seems we will never be able.

And then it gets nit-picky
  • They didn’t evacuate students - not even as a throw away line.
  • Colin didn’t sneak back in and die
  • The Suits of Armour were actually solid stone.
  • The boathouse was used for the scene of Snape’s murder, not the Shrieking Shack
  • The Carrows weren’t fat and ugly
  • Every key character for the battle scene -Kingsly, Weasleys, Tonks and Lupin, etc- rocked up kind of out of no where, and didn’t bring anymore with them.
  • No Percy and Fred reconciliation scene.
  • The curse in Bellatrix’s vault only made things multiply, not heat up which was a bit disappointing.

  • HE SNAPPED THE ELDER WAND.


In the end, I still think it was a great movie. I’m gonna go see it again (on Thursday actually) and I’ll enjoy it. I’ll probably enjoy it more if I’m not judging it as I go. It’s a wonderful movie, and a great ending, I just wish that they could have accepted a movie that didn’t finish in black and white, but a movie that finished with grey and choice and temptation and respect and understanding. But maybe that’s too hard/very difficult to convey if you haven’t read the books, and so rather than try (and have to properly re-explain half the pervious movie) they just simply let goodness win out in an ultimate choice, which took one tempting choice away from future generations. J.K Rowling had to have ticked off on it, and thats how I’m going to imagine she ticked off on it, just to keep me sane :)


So now...what are your guys' opinions?

What did you like? dislike? think was done better in the book? movie? what was your favourite scene? why?
tell us all about your Harry Potter viewing experience

sweepingly 13-07-2011 11:47 AM

it won't be released here until Friday, dammnit. :|

does it end like the book did: with Harry and Ginny living happily ever after, sending children with ridiculous names to Hogwarts? because I'm not sure I could handle seeing that.

lifeasasymptom 13-07-2011 02:36 PM

Yeah it does. Man, I cried so bad.

It's sooo hard accepting the (pretty much) end of such a massive part of your childhood/teenage years ;-;

It's so weird that it came out earliest in Australia! I have no idea why they did that...not complaining tho!!

Bellatrix 13-07-2011 10:40 PM

Please tell me 'NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH' made it on. Or I will just not go to watch it.

Gone. 13-07-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeaCulpa (Post 2885865)
Please tell me 'NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH' made it on. Or I will just not go to watch it.

This.

And I refuse to read any other post (including the opening one) until I have watched said movie.
Very, very excited :)

Rafiki 14-07-2011 06:30 AM

I'm SO looking forward to it but as I cried so much at the book, I bet I'm going to cry really easily at the film. It doesn't bother me so much that they've left out loads of things, as they have to make the film appeal to a wider audience, people who haven't read the books etc.

sweepingly 14-07-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeaCulpa (Post 2885865)
Please tell me 'NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH' made it on. Or I will just not go to watch it.

ABSOLUTELY. I could not agree with this more.

PrincessVegeta_x 14-07-2011 09:27 PM

I'm seeing it tomorrow night, less than 24 hours to go. However I am starting to feel strangely empty - I think it's because I know it's the final film. Harry Potter has been a big part of my life since I was 8 years old, it's hard to accept that it's over. Sorry, that probably sounds stupid. I'm going to cry so much tomorrow.

Palladion 15-07-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Colin didn’t sneak back in and die
Colin wasn't in the film at all, that's why they didn't show it, Nigel took his role instead and he does die in the final battle. I'm glad they did it like that, if they had gotten a different actor to play Colin it just would have looked weird.

I loved the film, I will agree with you that they did leave a lot of stuff out, which means the book will forever be far superior to the film, but the little things such as stone statues rather than suits of armour don't really affect the film at all so I don't see that as a negative. The snapping of the elder wand was just wrong, I will definitely agree with you there though.

Quote:

Please tell me 'NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH' made it on. Or I will just not go to watch it.
It did :) I went to a midnight showing as well and when Molly said that line the entire audience cheered, and clapped. It was amazing.

The 19 years later bit, while sweet and touching, was hilarious for all the wrong reasons, the whole theater couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous some of them looked.

I saw it at the midnight showing as well, and i'm so glad I did, the atmosphere was just incredible, so many people were dressed up. One guy had full death eater robes, mask and dark mark :D:D

lifeasasymptom 15-07-2011 10:14 AM

I reckon the reason I picked on every little thing was because I was just distraught that Harry Potter was ending and I couldn't deal with it so it ended up coming out as anger. Like, I went and saw it again last night and absolutely completely enjoyed it and loved it :D

I just had to get to the acceptance stage first before I could be happy with the movie!!

But yeah, I love it. I'll probably see it a third time xD

Seriously SO GLAD they had "Not my daughter, you bitch!", Neville killing Nagini and the "Albus Severus,..." line. They were all so important for it :D

Quote:

Nigel took his role instead and he does die in the final battle
)
oh :( my bad. I thought Colin was in the movies...

griddlebone 15-07-2011 12:39 PM

I went to see part 1 & part 2 last night. Im so glad I did!It was good because I didnt have to sit there thinking 'wait what happened in the last one? D:

Im not going to complain about what they missed out, because they cant cram everything in, the fact they made 2 films out of it and still didnt fit everything in just shows how difficult it is to do.

I liked the fact that they didnt over focus on the deaths, I thought that was interesting. The severus bit made me cry :P All around....just an amazing film really. I wasnt disappointed.

On a side note it was nice to see people dressed up at my cinema, and it was cool that the majority were people my sort of age who had grown up with it :) x

griddlebone 15-07-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

The 19 years later bit, while sweet and touching, was hilarious for all the wrong reasons, the whole theater couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous some of them looked.
Oh god tha was hilarious. WTF did malfoy look like? D: And Harry O.o and RON!ahhh, was hilarious, I had wondered how they were going to do that.x

dramaqueen 15-07-2011 05:42 PM

Is the 3d worth it in this movie?

one_step_closer 15-07-2011 06:51 PM

I didn't think there were many 3D effects. I enjoyed the film but didn't think it was anything special, just because i'm not really a film person. I prefer books.

griddlebone 15-07-2011 07:24 PM

I think it was worth it....the 3D is quite subtle,but I thought it was good :) xx

sajhfuahuefghaeg 15-07-2011 10:30 PM

Didn't go to see the 3D version.

I thought it was brilliant. Yes they missed some bits out, but to be fair they had to keep it short and not 500million hours long, and I think they did a very good job of it.

I really did miss the Fred/Percy scene, but they didn't ahve the bit where he buggers off in the Order Of The Phoenix either, so I guess that's alright.

They did make Draco seem horrible though, which, meh, I know he is but he wasn't that bad.

Cried when Snape's memories shown. Cried when tehy were all dead. Cried :P

I loved it.

Rodolphus 15-07-2011 10:32 PM

Zed and I just saw it.
(2D because we can't watch 3D)

All I'm going to say now is that I completely forgive all the difference between the film and the book. I can see why they had to make the changes, and I think the changes that they made were necessary for non-book readers to be able to follow the plot. And some things in the book, as amazing and powerful as they were in writing, just wouldn't have made the same impact on screen.

Alan Rickman stole the entire film for me. He could not have played his part more beautifully, he was absolutely flawless. His death scene broke my heart, it was incredible.

I would write more, but I'm still really emotional XD
I'll come back and add to the conversation some more.

I do want to mention though (spoilers in white);
During the chapter that would have been the Prince's Tale (The flashback scene), I thought it should have been a bit longer. But it was very good. And although it wasn't in the book, Snape finding Lily's body, it was a wonderful addition and incredibly powerful when you see him cradling her body. Gah, Alan Rickman, you wonderful wonderful man.

dramaqueen 15-07-2011 10:54 PM

Thanks for the answers :)
I'm dying to watch the movie, but I'll have to wait a few days. People are kind of crazed here, it's hard to get a ticket to watch it now.

[Luna] 16-07-2011 08:33 PM

i haven't read through this thread yet but wanted to say I'm seeing Harry Pothead in 2 hours and I am tres excited (^_^)

KarynEclipsed 16-07-2011 08:38 PM

I laughed when Voldemort gave Draco a hug.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.