RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What to Say? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165643)

[LittleMonster] 28-05-2011 12:38 AM

What to Say?
 
Hi guys,

I'm gonna be going to the doctors again for help with my depression.
I usually let my boyfriend do all the talking but I think, this time, I want to go in alone and explain the extent to which it affects my life.

I ideally just want to try out medication without therapy (complications with university and parents)

When I was in there before (for an ED problem) I looked at his screen and it did say "moderate depression"

I've gotten a lot worse though, can't even sleep or function that well..

ANYWAY my point is
Shall I just go in and say "Hi, I want help for my depression. It's really affecting my life negatively and significantly" or shall I not define it as depression?

I was on fluoxetine before but didn't stay on it long enough as parents were against it.
Could I just ask to be back on them?

I guess I could use some encouragement too!

strawberry11 28-05-2011 02:37 AM

Well if you know your depression has gotten worse then I think you should tell him. If you wanted to or felt better maybe state it differently? such as I have noticed myself being more depressed and then go on from there? Just a suggestion but you know how you are feeling and that its not your normal thing. I'm not sure about the meds and no therapy thing but I'd just talk to your doctor about it. Best wishes *hug*

x-love/hate/tragedy-x 28-05-2011 07:28 PM

First of all I hope it goes ok.
Secondly I would just be as truthful as possible about how you feel about everything that is relevant.
Writing the points down you want to make before you go might be a good idea to help you sort out what you'd like to say.
xxx

Laura2.0 28-05-2011 07:31 PM

All I wanted to say has been said already and I don't want to repeat what was already said.

I hope it goes well.
Let us know how it went

dontwantyoutoknow 28-05-2011 08:55 PM

Kate - do you find it easier to write things down than talk? Because you could take some notes in and either use them for your own reference or ask him to read them.

I recommend Moodscope. If you use it daily (only takes 2 minutes) and maybe print the graphs out to show your doctor. You have the option to add notes to the graph if something particular happens that day that affects you. I'm more than happy to buddy you on there; just PM me for my email (it's not the same as my MSN on my RYL profile lol).

x

[LittleMonster] 28-05-2011 11:15 PM

Thank you guys, I'm really worried about going.
Gonna choose a Dr who I've seen before, the one I last saw tried to ask if I was depressed but I lied (there was a reason for this) :pinch:

I guess I could just say I'm worse but I was diagnose 1/2 years ago so unless they read my records it wouldn't be obvious to them, especially as I was seeing different psychs and Drs all the time!

I could write down some points, that'd be a good idea. I'll probably write all the points before hand and memorise them

Moodscope, hmm will check that out thank you! :)

Ahh worried ><

xbeckyx 30-05-2011 10:51 AM

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Sheltie90 30-05-2011 01:01 PM

Good luck, hope it goes ok x x

[LittleMonster] 30-05-2011 05:23 PM

Will do
There's a lot on right now so it's on my list of things :P

x-love/hate/tragedy-x 05-06-2011 11:41 PM

Good luck :)
xxx

MrsCoulter 06-06-2011 08:50 AM

Good luck - I know its not easy to ask for help but you can do it :) xx

morningside stranger 06-06-2011 10:47 AM

good luck! Try not to worry about phrasing everything perfectly. Most GPs have at least a skim read over the notes from recent appointments and so it's not unlikely that he'll already know about the depression. Just be honest and try not to mask just how difficult you're finding things. I also think it's a good thing that you're going by yourself. Although it might seem scarier, I always think it's easier to talk with nobody else there. You don't have to try to protect anybody else. Good luck and let us know how it goes! xx

[LittleMonster] 10-06-2011 08:30 PM

Thank you <3
I still haven't made the appt but definitely going to next week!
xxx

x-love/hate/tragedy-x 13-06-2011 12:15 AM

Let us know how it goes :)
xxx

[LittleMonster] 13-06-2011 01:25 AM

Will do :) xxx

roiben 13-06-2011 01:39 PM

Best of luck - do let us know how it goes. Have you managed to get an appointment yet?

Roiben x

[LittleMonster] 15-06-2011 10:18 PM

Yeah it is in 2 Weeks time as I am away next week. So scared x x

x-love/hate/tragedy-x 18-06-2011 03:40 PM

Try not to get worked up scared about it... I know it's a scary thought but I'm sure it will go fine :)
xxx

riotgrrrlcori 19-06-2011 08:00 AM

Best of luck. I know for me, starting meds was a great choice. I hope they help a lot for you as well. :)

[LittleMonster] 01-07-2011 05:53 PM

Thanks guys,
I went today and although she didn't seem to care much she put me on fluoxetine again like I asked so I guess I'm pleased.
She didn't even offer therapy or anything which I found a bit weird but it's what I wanted.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.