RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum and Community Questions (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   What are the rules for posting a private message someone sent you in a public area of the forum? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164042)

Just A Dream 05-05-2011 02:00 AM

What are the rules for posting a private message someone sent you in a public area of the forum?
 
Hey,

I didn't see this in the rules. Maybe it was under a more broad rule and I missed it?

People have done this to me on other forums on the Internet with no consequences being taken by the moderators, at least that I am aware of. The post(s) weren't even edited by moderators.

Would there be consequences or is this allowed? If there would consequences, what would they be?

Other forums haven't done anything about this, and that is why I am asking.

Bellatrix 05-05-2011 02:13 AM

Posting without their permission is rude and prob against some kind of privacy rule.

makedamnsure 05-05-2011 08:49 AM

I think its rude unless you have given permission for them to post it.
I'm sure if it happened and you complained the moderators would make whoever posted it take it down. Especially if it was something private that you didn't want others to know.

The One Who 05-05-2011 10:42 AM

It could possibly come under some sort of flaming rule? It would depend on how the mods see it.

MissAnonymous 05-05-2011 01:26 PM

There is no rule for it. But if it was a flaming PM or something derogatory I expect the mods would look at it in terms of bullying or flaming.

To me its just rude altogether, but if it contains something that was said in confidence I would hope the mods would take it down or edit it for being about another member.

Amaryllis 05-05-2011 11:33 PM

It depends.

Is the message attributed to a particular person or not?
What's the content of the message?
What's the general situation between these two people?
What is the stated purpose of posting it?
What is the unstated purpose of posting it?

Personally, I think that unless you have the person's permission and they've said okay and you stick within the bounds of that 'okay', then it's terribly rude.

Like: "so and so had this great advice they gave to me and they have said that it is all right to pass on since it was in a PM, here you go "insert totally awesome and inspirational message here" maybe it will help you" The End! That wouldn't be rude. Most other circumstances would be. Unless this person is bullying you, then please FORWARD it to the forum mods, don't post it out there for the world to see, then you're just as bad as the first person.

Just A Dream 06-05-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amaryllis (Post 2795722)
It depends.

Is the message attributed to a particular person or not?
What's the content of the message?
What's the general situation between these two people?
What is the stated purpose of posting it?
What is the unstated purpose of posting it?

Personally, I think that unless you have the person's permission and they've said okay and you stick within the bounds of that 'okay', then it's terribly rude.

Like: "so and so had this great advice they gave to me and they have said that it is all right to pass on since it was in a PM, here you go "insert totally awesome and inspirational message here" maybe it will help you" The End! That wouldn't be rude. Most other circumstances would be. Unless this person is bullying you, then please FORWARD it to the forum mods, don't post it out there for the world to see, then you're just as bad as the first person.

Well, I wasn't asking if I could get away with it. I was concerned with others doing it to me since it has been done before, and not for inspirational purposes or with my permission.

I've never had a desire to share a PM and don't now.

But those forums did nothing. That's why I brought it up.

Edit: And yes it is rude. I agree completely.

Sleepless123 06-05-2011 01:31 AM

im sorry those other forums didnt do anything.

But if anything similar happens here and you feel uncomfortable with it - i would really suggest at the very least you report it to the mods.

On a personal note - as some of you who know me well will be aware personally my PM's being not shared around [very much including on the public forum in any way] and also my keeping the confidentiality of others are both very important to me but then ive always had very very strong views on privacy and confidentiality in life in general both in terms of what i would like from others and the standards i expect from myself.

As said above i dont believe its at all acceptable for anyone to do this to you [share PM's or information/content from them on the Forum] without at the very least asking your permission.

im sorry this has happened to you elsewhere previously.i would actually find that incredibly upsetting to deal with personally but thats just me!

Sorry for the long reply.

xx xx


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.