RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Veterans Board (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How to pass the night? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163168)

Sefka 22-04-2011 12:07 AM

How to pass the night?
 
I haven’t had a normal night’s sleep for almost a week now :blink:


So it’s 1am and I’m wide awake, restless and bored. What to do, what to do, what to do?



I salvaged a toilet roll earlier and was considering making another t-roll, maybe a girl one this time. Then I used the last of the cling film and saved the roll from that – giant t-roll!


But the t-roll thing might be getting a bit old.


What’s the best way for me to pass the night? All suggestions welcome – the more ridiculous the better.

Sefka 22-04-2011 03:10 AM

Am so bored, I've just calculated that my toenails are growing at about 0.000000009315 mph.

It's okay, I wouldn't talk to me either.

Why can't I sleep?

needle girl 22-04-2011 03:49 AM

heey Sarah. *tries to think of crazy things to do*
did you really calculate that?!?
hmm...you could rearrange all the dishes? clean the house? fill out one of those suuuuper long survey things on the fun/distractions page? or MAKE a super long quiz?

sorry you cant sleep.

Sefka 22-04-2011 10:59 AM

^ Yes, it was a bit sad. Measured how much the varnish had grown out on each toe, took the average, divided by how many days since I put the varnish on to get mm/day then timesed by the mm - miles conversion (which I looked up) and divided by 24 to get mph.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them tonight :)

GlitterTrashDoll 22-04-2011 12:04 PM

I hope you can get some good sleep tonight!
I feel your pain though, I have terrible trouble getting to sleep.

Gone. 22-04-2011 12:40 PM

Hmmmm, I usually watch movies. No, it's not the most original suggestion in the world but you can easily pass two hours with a movie and not realise that the night has gone by.

adygriffith 22-04-2011 12:41 PM

hey,
just a few suggestions my counsellor and gp have recommened are :

Reading a book in low light.
Quiet music in the background
Playing gameboy, or games on phone...so all lights are off.
warm drink
dont look at any clocks at any point.
finally watch the shopping channell...few mins later zzzzzz

i feel your pain though because have had insomnia for over half a year now

-Asphyxia- 29-04-2011 05:26 AM

I have problems sleeping on a regular basis, so I feel your pain...my suggestions aren't that ridiculous though, lol...

Um...Actually, watching TV and movies and stuff can make sleep problems worse due to the type of light they produce...Same with being on a computer.

I would suggest reading a book as well...something mellow or even academic - but it has to be a subject you're not extremely interested in b/c it could keep you awake - lol. (I have that problem.)

I agree with avoiding clocks - it just promotes anxiety. I wear an eyemask at night, which can be weird at first, but you get used to it. If you are very sensitive to light, it helps a lot.

One more thing: Do you do any stretching or yoga? That can be very relaxing too. Do a YouTube search for something like "Yoga for Insomnia" or "Yoga for Relaxation," and you can find some good stuff. I have some good sites you can look into...Just PM me if you're interested.

Sweet dreams!

<3

needle girl 30-04-2011 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Asphyxia- (Post 2786928)
I would suggest reading a book as well...something mellow or even academic - but it has to be a subject you're not extremely interested in b/c it could keep you awake - lol. (I have that problem.)

Me too! I have stayed up till I could literally no longer keep my eyes opening reading a good book.

Sefka 30-04-2011 07:04 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions :-D

It's not been too bad these last few nights, although I usually end up falling asleep in front of a dvd.

Reading is always good, and I need to start my pre-course reading so... academic texts to send anyone to sleep :-)

And now I have to go to work <gah!> and I'm hoping something causes this class to be cancelled because NOW I could fall asleep with noooo trouble, but isn't that always the way?

Thanks again
xx

needle girl 30-04-2011 07:06 AM

glad youve been able to sleep :)

hehe, time differences...its 2 am here and im heading to bed now...

yeah, isnt that annoying when you just start to get real tired or just fell sound asleep and you have to get up again? ug.

hmm not all academic texts are boring :p

Sefka 30-04-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teardownoldwalls (Post 2788252)

hmm not all academic texts are boring :p

Okay, some of them are interesting (second language acquisition theories, especially the more bonkers ones) but I also have to study a lot of painfully in-depth grammar which makes me want to rip my own brain out.

Sleep tight xx


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.