![]() |
Scratching?
I recently started scratching as self-harm, and I'm scared that I do this to myself but it feels good. I don't feel like I can talk to anyone I personally know about it, should I go to the hospital or what can I do?
|
If you could have anything happen, what would it be?
I think the fact you posted this shows you understand that harming your body is not a healthy way of coping with things. How old are you and what country do you live in if you don't mind me asking? Could you go and see your doctor? I don't think turning up at the A+E/ER because you have self harmed is going to be particularly helpful to you unless you feel incredibly at risk i.e actively suicidal. They will most likely do an assessment for half an hour or so and then refer you to a counsellor/mental health service of some kind. If you are not in immediate danger then it would probably be better for you to speak to your doctor. I guarantee you it will not be anything new to them, they will have heard it dozens, if not hundreds of times before and you could even write it down if you can't say it out loud. Obviously if you are feeling actively suicidal though then going to A+E/ER or calling a crisis line would be the best thing for you to do. Take care Emma |
Do you know where your emotional pain is coming from? What is causing you to scratch yourself? It's okay if you don't know right away. It can take a long time to discover why you self-harm. It's good that you want to get help. I know talking to someone about self-harm can be scary, but I highly encourage you to. I am not trying to scare you, but scratching can get worse over time.
If you don't feel comfortable talking to your parents, is there another relative you could talk to? Or a religious leader/mentor? You could also talk to your school's psychologist. Whenever you feel like scratching, you could also try journaling, going for a walk, calling a friend, taking a warm bath, etc. I scratch myself also. You're not alone *big hugs* |
scratching yourself is something that you'll want to get under control sooner rather than later. even just with your fingernails you can get some pretty painful raw spots that can scar (i find they sometimes scar more than cuts) and can easily get infected.
are you talking about intentional scratching? or kinda compulsive, or not thinking about it? cause the some ways of resisting work better for one sort than the other. basically, if its intentional, i would try the distractions and coping mechanisms as you would for resisting cutting, and if its happening when you arent really thinking about it, you'd probably want to try and make yourself aware of it first, and maybe having something to keep your hands occupied... |
Emma, I'm 17 and I live in Minnesota. I would like to go see a doctor but that would unfortunately require me to talk to my parents about making an appointment...
I might be able to talk to the school psychologist like Celticroots was suggesting but it's so embarrassing I'm afraid of how everyone will view me and that someone will tell my parents about it. I've been trying to distract myself from it by reading and that seems to help, but when I get really stressed at work and when no one's looking I find myself returning to doing it. |
the councelor definately wouldn't be allowed to talk with any other students about anything you say. that would be a blatent breach of confidenciality. and if someone asks you, you can say that you went in to ask something about starting to apply for college, or your class schedule next year. and if you say it confidently i doubt that anyone will think twice about it.
|
Jenni: your school psychologist should keep the things you say confidential. Confidentialy can only be broken if you are a serious risk to yourself (if your self-harm was very severe for example), or if you are suicidal or homicidal.
If you are not deemed a serious danger to yourself or others, the school psychologist should keep your conversation confidential. She/he would never tell any of the other students. I talked to my school psychologist when I was in school. I found it really helped. |
| All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:10 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.