RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eating Issues Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Simple, healthy recipes (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156099)

mikey 16-01-2011 02:32 PM

Simple, healthy recipes
 
Hope this is allowed.

I struggle to cook, and thought it might be nice to share some recipes for simple, nutritious meals. I'd love to cook more but don't really know where to start as it's all a bit overwhelming to be honest.

So please add some of your own recipes!

Thank you :-)

Lyddie 16-01-2011 02:33 PM

This is an awesome idea! I shall add some later (:

Okey dokey, this is for a Chicken Risotto. But you can always substitue any of the ingredients (including the chicken) with whatever you like or want. I often add kidney beans and peas. Also, the amounts of extras you add is up to you I think, I use this mainly as a rough guide. It always turns out good though and is simple, quick and tasty.

Ingredients:
1 chicken breast or 2-3 small chicken fillets
1/3 mug of rice (risotto or basmati)
1/4 red pepper
2 mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon mild curry paste
1/4 tin sweetcorn
1 mug water

Method:
1) Fry the onion until soft
2) Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces, add to the frying pan and fry for 2-3 minutes until the outside is no longer pink
3) Add the mushrooms and pepper
4) Add the rice (uncooked), curry paste and water. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring from time to time. Add more water if the mixture has dried up before the rice is cooked. There should be very little liquid left when the dish is finished
5) Add the sweetcorn, heat through and serve.

Hope that an okay recipe. I find it useful, because it's really versatile. Good luck (:

mikey 16-01-2011 02:53 PM

Here's my recipe for homemade carrot and coriander soup. It's very easy and absolutely delicious.

Ingredients:
* 1 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 onion , chopped
* 1 clove of garlic, chopped
* 450g carrots , peeled and chopped
* 1.2l vegetable or chicken stock
* handful chopped coriander

Method:
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and garlic, then fry for 5 mins until softened.
Add the chopped carrots and stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and cook for 20 mins until the carrots are tender.
Tip into food processor and blitz until smooth
Return to pan and add salt/pepper to taste.
Add chopped coriander (I use both the stems and the leaves) and omnomnom!

(I always make loads and keep it in the fridge as it can be reheated in a microwave)

crazykat 16-01-2011 02:56 PM

Really good idea for a thread :)

Droplet 16-01-2011 04:18 PM

Super idea for a thread, I'll have a think. :)

chinahorse 16-01-2011 04:25 PM

Great thread idea :) And I love that flavour of soup, will attempt it soon. and will have a think about what recipies could be suitable.

Lyddie 16-01-2011 05:21 PM

I'm adding another one.
This is for a nut roast, it serves two, so long as you have it with other things as well (:

Ingredients:
1 small onion, chopped finely
200g chopped cashew nuts
2 mushrooms, chopped finely
2 slices wholemeal bread
1/2 mug vegetable stock
1 teaspoon marmite
1 teaspoon mixed herbs

Method:
1) Preheat the oven to180degrees C/gas mark 6. Grease a small oven proof dish/casserole dish
2) Fry the onions until they begin to brown, add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Take off the heat
3) Chop the nuts if necessary. Add to the pan.
4) Make the bread into breadcrumbs. Add to the pan
5) Add 1/2 a vegetable stock cube to 1/2 a mug of water to make the vegetable stock. Add the teaspoon of marmite and stir until dissolved
6) Add to the pan along with herbs. Mix everything together.
7) Pour into the dish and cook for 20 minutes. The nuts should be brown on top.

mikey 16-01-2011 09:09 PM

Lyddie, that chicken risotto sounds delicious. I had no idea it was so easy to make!

chinahorse 17-01-2011 01:46 PM

Hiya so I've never actually eaten this recipe as I don't like salmon but my brother says its nice and is easy to make. Serves 4. (also he may have stolen it from tesco :P hope thats ok)

Celery and Salmon Bake
Ingredients
4 salmon fillets
45ml creme fraiche
2 packets celery hearts
1 cucumber
30g butter
150ml white wine (hes never made it without but Im guessing you could substitute white wine vinegar or grape juice or similar)

Method
a) Melt butter in baking dish and stir in wine (or substitute)
b) Add celery (cut into pieces) cover with foil and simmer for 10 mins or until the celery is tender (depends on how big you cut the pieces)
c) Add the sliced cucumber and cook for up to another 5 mins
d) Put the salmon fillets on top and cover
e) Put in pre-heated oven at 190 for 10-15 mins
f) Take out oven and put back on the hob, and remove fish to a separate (warm) plate and cover it
g) Add the creme fraiche to the baking dish (which will be the sauce) and season
h) Heat this gently for a few more mins
g) ENJOY :)


Forgot to say he normally has rice to go with it.
Also I'd like to say that the Tesco website in general has some lovely recipies. I can't really offer any other recipies as I don't cook simple food lol.

realflifefaerie 17-01-2011 02:10 PM

I love this thread, I adore cooking so this is great =]

Vegetable soup:
  • 2 courgettes
    2 carrots
    1 medium sweet potato
    1 red pepper
    1 red onion
    2 tins chopped tomatoes/pasatta
    1litre veg stock

1. Chop vegetables into rough pieces, you can chose to leave the skins on or take them off.
2. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in the bottom of a saucepan, add the onion and pepper to it.
3. Once brown add other vegetables to the saucepan and cook until soft.
4. Add tomatoes and veg stock and simmer for around an hour.
You can either leave it as it is or blend with a hand blender.

Usually I make a huge pot and freeze in meals then when I'm busy it's easy to take out and reheat.

Could be served with bread, cheese on top, mashed potato, over pasta as a sauce if blended.

[LittleMonster] 17-01-2011 02:36 PM

Ah man, might have to go get myself some risotto or similar for dinner tonight ;)
Great idea for thread, but I can't cook!! haha

mikey 17-01-2011 07:03 PM

realflifefaerie: that soup looks fantastic! I love making soup so will definitely give it a go.

And it's never too late to learn how to cook!

Lyddie 17-01-2011 07:32 PM

Lillie: Ooh that looks nommy. I love salmon and celery so may have to make that.

And yum yum at veggie soup :D

Kate: I'm sure you can cook if you try! Start off with simple recipes and you can't go wrong (:

mikey 17-01-2011 07:36 PM

Here's a really easy one.

Eggs are full of protein and iron, so here's a recipe for yummy scrambled eggs.

Crack two eggs into a frying pan
Add a tiny bit of milk
Add chopped peppers, mushrooms, onion, chillis, tomatoes... any veg you like, basically!
Cook on a low heat, stirring constantly.
Done!

RainbowsAndButterflies 17-01-2011 07:37 PM

Salmon potatoes and parseley sauce

Ingrediants
  • Salmon Fillet
  • Potatoes (any kind)
For the Sauce
  • 425ml Milk
  • 40g flour
  • 60grams butter
  • Parsley
put the oven on 180 degrees
Get a piece of salmon if frozen let it defrost.
  • Put Water on to boil, while this is happening peal and wash potatoes
  • When boiling add the potatoes for 20 mins
  • Get some tin foil and put some herbs/butter/lemon juice on the salmon. Then wrap it up
  • Put it in the oven/grill for 20 mins
  • About 7 mins befor everything is all done make the sauce
  • Melt the butter in a saucepan then add flour then milk
  • keep whisking until boiling then let it simmer for 3 mins
  • add parsley
Serve and enjoy! my friday night dish
Add vegetables such as peas, green beans if you fancy.

RainbowsAndButterflies 17-01-2011 07:44 PM

Egg fried rice. (Dunno how healthy this really is but its yummy)

Ingrediants

Basmati rice
onion
Prawns
peas
Egg
Sweetcorn

Method
  • Put water onto boil
  • Add the rice to packet instructions normally (18 mins)
  • about 7 mins to go till rice is done fry the onion and prawns
  • about add the peas and sweetcorn
  • Drain the rice the add it to the frying pan
  • Beat the egg and then make a well in the rice and add it.
  • Make sure egg is all mixed into the rice peas and prawns
  • Cook for a few mins
  • Then serve.
Very Versatile Recipe Can add as much or as little as you want
Ham goes well or if your veggie just stick with peas and sweetcorn.

Serendipity. 17-01-2011 08:28 PM

I love this thread, am going to try these out! :)

Mushroom Stir Fry:
- 1 nest of dried noodles
- 1/2 an onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 4 mushrooms
- Soy sauce

1) Place noodles in boiling water on the hob. Finely chop onions & chop mushrooms and tomatoes.
2) Fry onions in a little oil until soft. Add mushrooms. After a few minutes add tomatoes and fry for another minute.
3) Drain noodles and add to vegetables. Stir in soy sauce to taste and serve.

So simple and actually rather yummy.

muzzii 18-01-2011 10:57 AM

This is a really good idea for a thread! I've got loads of recipes stashed away on my computer, I'll post some of them up when I'm more awake. C: (still in bed right now..)

crazykat 18-01-2011 02:02 PM

Pumpkin Soup
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 leek, white part only, finely sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1kg peeled pumpkin, diced
  • 1 large potato, peeled, diced
  • 1L chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1/2 cup (125ml) thin cream (you can leave this out to make it healthier)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat, add onion and leek and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened but not coloured. Add garlic and spices and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add pumpkin, potato and stock and bring to the boil. Turn heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then blend in batches. Return soup to pan, stir through cream and reheat gently. Season and add a little more nutmeg if desired

Mrs Sam 18-01-2011 04:12 PM

Alternative veggie soup

2 parsnips
5 carrots
2 potatoes
1 turnip/swede
1 onion

chop all ingredients up.
add onion to pan with a little butter/oil and fry till brown
add all other ingredients alongside 2L of water and 2 stock cubes
stir and boil until veg is soft and just on verge of falling apart
blend up and eat.

this makes a large pan full enough for about 5-8 servings.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.