![]() |
Employer Issues
I want to start by stating that my employer have been very fair, and have done everything that they could to support me. There have been a few problems, but these were all simple misjudgements and came from a genuine intention on the part of HR and my Manager to help me. I have no quarrel with the way they have handled my situation.
I have had a lot of sick time, since I had my breakdown 18 months ago and started seeking medical help. I’ve had anxiety issues and SI issues since childhood, but in the past used the SI as a coping mechanism for the anxiety. Since the breakdown though, I was completely unable to cope and had to get help. As I said above, in the last 18 months I’ve had a lot of time off sick. To be honest, about half of my sick time has been caused by side effects of the various meds my GP has tried out, and the other half was due to anxiety and due to me having some rather intense moments during counselling that I needed time to work through. I’ve just now been moved onto Mirtazapine, have been on it for about 10 days. I’m no longer feeling knocked out with it, and am currently feeling as close to normal as I can remember having felt in the past. I don’t anticipate that my sickness levels will be anywhere near what they have been, if things continue as they are. But, when I was adjusting to the new meds, I had some more time off. Mainly due to the powerful sedative effect. Work have been following standard employment procedure for sickness and the last bout of illness resulted in a disciplinary hearing and me being given a final written warning. Obviously, the next stage if I have any more sickness, or if anything else goes wrong, is dismissal. I’ve checked the employee procedures on the work intranet and it states that dismissal is usually a case of being dismissed there and then, paid up to the day of dismissal but no notice period and no payment in lieu of notice. I hope I don’t lose my job, but I am feeling for the first time in months as though I am capable of facing issues and making plans, so I want to be prepared. What will happen if I do lose my job? Will I be able to sign onto jobseekers, or given the cause of my dismissal will I need to get signed as unfit to work by my GP? I’ve never done anything like this before so I don’t know what the right course of action to take is. Monetary issues are a big concern for me right now – I missed a month’s rent, owe council tax and water rates, and I really need to be sorting these debts out and paying them back. Obviously any job I apply for if I do lose my current one, the employers will need to take my sickness into account, and I’m guessing that won’t make me the most attractive candidate! Anyone here gone through this themselves at all? Any tips? |
I'm not sure, but I don't believe they can let you go over being ill.
You have included them every step of the way and it isn't just because you didn't feel like going in... I think you're in the UK? If so, CAB might have some info and suggestions. I'm not sure if your GP writing you a sick note/explanation would be of any help? What are their policies regarding sick leave? Do they have long-term sick leave? I hope you can find some info soon. This board is really slow...might be worth posting this in GSA? Good luck with it all and pls let us know what happens. xx |
I don't know about the benefits side, but you could ask CAB.
As for them following 'standard' absence proceedings I'd get in touch with an employment solicitor (first half hour free) and see if that is discriminatory. The Human Rights and Equality Commission will offer free advice on your rights. Check their policy and see if they should be recording disabilty related absences separately. They are no longer legally allowed (since Oct 10) to ask for the amount of sick days when you fill in an application form. |
In theory, your recent illness should come under disability related absence, which should count differently, as far as I understand.
Mindinfoline or Saneline should be able to clarify this for you. Have you been referred to Occupational Health as part of all of this? |
They may count, but it is not a legal requirement and they would need to check the company's policy.
|
| All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:27 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.