RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   BPD question (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155285)

bella54 06-01-2011 09:13 PM

BPD question
 
I've been looking online at BPD and when i put down my personality traits/symptoms etc on forums, i always get told to look up BPD. I match all the criteria except for the abandonment. I never let people have the chance to abandon me because if i think people are going to leave (whether it is irrational or not) i leave before i get left. I just assume people will leave me because to be honest i can be a nightmare to be around. So i never beg people to stay or anything like that i just leave and go from loving them to hating them and never talking to them again.

Also i have never been abused or anything. This seems to come up a lot, a lot of BPD suffers have got this disorder due to some trauma early on in life. My life has been good. The odd set back like my dad being ill but nothing terrible.

How important are these two aspects in the diagnosis of BPD?

Stellata 06-01-2011 09:26 PM

Not everyone with Borderline has been abused. Theorists say there are 2 types - that induced by trauma, and that which is organic.
Personally, I think trauma also caused organic changes in the brain. But c'est la vie.

You see, I would class your defence structure as the abandonment criteria. I have the 'frantic attempts to prevent abandonment' big time, but I also have avoiding relationships/closeness so as to prevent the hurt.

Kitkat :) 06-01-2011 09:29 PM

You only have to have 5 of the criteria in BPD to be diagnosed. What people experience when they have been diagnosed is different for everyone.

Rhapsody 07-01-2011 06:34 AM

Also, don't self diagnose. See your doctor and talk to them, that's what they're there for.

sherlock holmes 07-01-2011 03:18 PM

You cant self diagnose BPD. You cant be objective. You need to see a psychiatrist and have an assessment.

Although I have BPD and I never experienced abuse. Also, two people with BPD can experience totally different combinations of symptoms.

Kitkat :) 07-01-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by control freak (Post 2644159)
You cant self diagnose BPD. You cant be objective. You need to see a psychiatrist and have an assessment.

Although I have BPD and I never experienced abuse. Also, two people with BPD can experience totally different combinations of symptoms.

^^ I agree, only a professional will be able to diagnose you. And the same goes for the second line, one person with BPD may have really bad abandonment/attachment issues, whilst another may suffer from bad delusions but may be able to maintain good relationships with other people.

dollpart 07-01-2011 03:47 PM

I push people away because if I force them to leave me, that isn;t the same as them choosing to leave. So... leaving people can still be abandonment-avoidance.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.