RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Predisposed to SI? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154428)

NoWarButTheClassWar 28-12-2010 08:14 AM

Predisposed to SI?
 
I've been thinking about it, and realizing that I was doing self-injury type things long before I actually started what I considered self-harming. For example, for about as long as I can remember, I've compulsively picked at the skin on my lips/fingertips until it bled, pulled my hair out, picked at scabs, etc. Now, I didn't have the best childhood in the first place, but I'm still wondering...could it be that I'm somehow predisposed (genetically or otherwise) to self-harm? Does anyone have similar stories?

-Krim

bethrenea 28-12-2010 09:20 AM

I think it's possible. I remember one incident very vividly from when I was around six that I found a piece of broken glass in my yard and tried to cut myself with it.

Then things like that were more a fascination. I was always injuring myself just because I was overly reckless with things... jumping off swings, 'falling' down stairs.

And I know two of my sisters have done it, so I guess there might be something genetic to it also... I'm not sure but it is something I have also wondered about since I was little.

bodlonrwydd 28-12-2010 01:54 PM

Yeah, maybe. I've always picked at scabs too. I kind of enjoy it. And I've had trichotillomania for years. I can remember trying to break my ankle and stuff when I was younger, but I think that was more out of wanting to get the attention and stuff. I know that I like being able to look after myself after SI. Maybe that's a big motivator I have for SI.

PassedExpectations 28-12-2010 02:06 PM

i've picked my skin and stuff since i was little. and one of my brothers does too, though not nearly as badly....

though, i'm thinking that it isn't so much predisposed to SH as it is to feeling anxious or depressed. and then that leads towards the other stuff. like you're more anxious so you start biting your nails more, or twisting your hair, and it just goes past the normal level of that stuff

The One Who 28-12-2010 02:19 PM

Perhaps not predisposed, more that it could be a primitive or instinctive reaction to external stresses. Everyone will have done something that could be broadly classed as 'self-harm' at some point.

Celticroots 31-12-2010 06:30 AM

Hmm..Maybe. I'd hit myself or pull my hair when I was younger.

pixiedust_11 31-12-2010 12:55 PM

I have thought of this before, cos since I was about 4 I've been compulsively picking my skin until it bleeds, and even then back then it got worse when I was more anxious (cos my mum noticed). I even tried to get my friend to agree to break my arm once! My mum also used to SI so maybe there is something there, but it could just be anxiety or mental illness that is predisposed.

TheColdOne 31-12-2010 12:59 PM

Yeah I used to scratch myself until it bled when I was younger.

DrWatson 31-12-2010 03:46 PM

Yeah, I've bitten my nails til they bleed since I was 3 and I used to pull my hair out as a child. I only noticed this once I started to SI with my tools:/

Lyddie 31-12-2010 04:59 PM

I don't think that it necessarily means that one is predisposed to SI, but I do know what you mean. I used to pick at my lips until they bled and have always picked at scabs, my skin and bitten/ripped my nails. I never really considered it SI and didn't know what I was doing. It's only now I'm older that I'm starting to realise how young I was when I first took my anxieties out on my body.

Stage Star 31-12-2010 05:07 PM

I remember how I used to rest my wrist on a hot radiator to see how long I could stand it for. I only burnt myself once in that way, though. I also used to repeatedly hit myself lightly, usually on the wrist, until it went red and swollen, long before I even knew what self-harm was. I have a vivid memory of sitting in class watching a video and hitting my wrist on the back of my chair, just to see how it felt. I did used to worry compulsively when I was younger, so maybe that's why.

lonely_hope 31-12-2010 05:56 PM

sort of-
i've always picked at my skin and never let scabs heal. i have a lot of acne, so i always pick at that too. one of my nervous habits is digging my nails into my skin. there are some other things, but i wont go into detail

i guess i never really thought of that...

Katiee 31-12-2010 08:47 PM

Yeah, I sorta wonder this....

muzzii 02-01-2011 01:46 AM

Tbh, I had a fairly normal childhood, other than being bullied through primary school. But I keep telling myself that that's got nothing to do with anything..

Idk, I've always picked a scabs, and I used to make myself sit in ways that I knew would hurt or give me pins and needles ect...

ashes to ashes 02-01-2011 02:56 AM

i have always picked scabs, and the skin around my nails. i probably did other things too, and i thought about hurting myself with sharps a lot when i was little.

evfreak42 02-01-2011 05:37 AM

I definitely think it's possible. I remember intentionally hurting myself as a small child on many occasions.

My younger sister used to hit her head off of the floor/wall when she was frustrated or angry even when she was only a year old. I have recently found out that she still occasionally self harms.

My brother has also shown some pretty severe self harm, though his type is different because he is autistic.

However, I still find it interesting that all 3 of us have engaged in self harm from an early age. I'm sure our similar upbringing had something to do with it.

-Eleventeen- 02-01-2011 05:51 AM

Hmm, I remember when I was younger I would be so mad when iIgot in trouble. I would be sent to my room and then while I was in my room I would do things like hit myself in the head repeatedly. And I vividly remember the feeling good afterwards.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.