RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   therapists *UPDATED* (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15269)

guiltyinnocence 28-08-2007 07:56 PM

therapists *UPDATED*
 
okay, dont know if this belongs here, but it seemed the best place for it, though i could be wrong..

ok, basically i have a therapist (janie) and shes a really nice person but we just dont 'click' i mean i cant open up to her very well. shes on holiday at the moment and so i went to see another therapist in the same service (patrick) and i seemed to click with him right away, i mean for the first time i came back from a session positive. i could just open up to him, and i know i could in the future...cept janies my therapist

ok, so to the point. im tempted to see if i could be referred to him instead.. but i dont know if i can and i dont want to offend anyone or hurt anyones feelings, especially janies..

so, yeh, im just wondering what you guys think really?

Starburst 28-08-2007 08:00 PM

I think it's absolutely fine. She won't be offended. You're not critcising her, as therapist or as person. Lots of people don't 'click' with certain people. I think you should change. :-)

Stellata 28-08-2007 08:05 PM

Remember that your feelings are important.

guiltyinnocence 28-08-2007 09:11 PM

yeh, i know, i do really want to change. but i cant help but think that theyd both think i was being really ungrateful and just think of me negatively..

Amaryllis 28-08-2007 09:26 PM

Go ahead and go to the person you feel the most comfortable with. Seriously. I've done it before and it's super easy.

one_step_closer 29-08-2007 10:17 AM

I know that it's hard not to, but there really is no reason for you to worry about it at all. All they both want is for you to feel comfortable and benefit from therapy. If you feel this is what is best for you then see if you can see Patrick instead. I'm positive that Janie won't be offended, everyone is different and finds it easier to talk to different people. This is for YOU, put yourself first. Please keep us updated, i'm thinking about you. Get in touch any time. Take care. xxx

guiltyinnocence 29-08-2007 12:25 PM

thanks guys
i just dont want him to be unable to take me on and then janie like be off with me or something..i dunno i kno im being stupid

i think il ring patrick in the next few days. but i havent the faintest idea what to say to him..any idea?

one_step_closer 29-08-2007 12:55 PM

You're not being stupid at all, of course there are things that you will be worrying about. It sounds like a good idea to phone him, just say whatever comes out it'll be harder if you 'plan' something to say. I really am sure that if he couldn't see you then your other counsellor would happily see you again. I hope it goes well. xxx

putridangel 29-08-2007 03:51 PM

I think its important in therapy to click with the therapist, to feel at ease with them, to beable to open up. If you can moreso with Patrick, then I would recommend changing. Im sure she wont mind.
Therapists have our best interests at heart
xxxx

Puppet Strings 29-08-2007 06:03 PM

Like everyone has said, they're there to help you, and if that means seeing someone else then so be it. :]
I'm she won't be offended in the slightest, and if you explain how you feel as if you just don't 'click', then I'm sure she'll understand - she will know that some people get on better with some therapists than others, and may even feel the same as you!
Good luck, and I'm glad you've managed to find someone you do 'click' with. That's important. x

guiltyinnocence 30-08-2007 01:27 AM

thanks for your help
im gonna ring him tomorrow and just ask if i can start seeing him instead
ill let you know how it goes
just thinking about it makes me anxious
im gonna be devastated if i cant see him instead...
just gonna have to wait and see i suppose

one_step_closer 30-08-2007 10:24 AM

I hope it all goes well for you. xxx

guiltyinnocence 30-08-2007 03:10 PM

ok i say i was gonna ring today..but i dont think i could cope if it went wrong and he said no
but then again i dont think i could cope with it on any day
its just that im really really on the edge today
i dunno

guiltyinnocence 03-09-2007 12:21 PM

hey,
just to let you guys know where im at
i had another appointment with patrick today and at the end i asked if i could see him instead and that i didnt want to offend anyone, and he said that should be fine he juts needs to have a chat with janie first and that noone would be offended cus it happens all the time so theyr used to it
so yeh, it all went really well =D
thanks everyone for your help on the matter
xxxx

one_step_closer 04-09-2007 03:30 PM

I'm SO pleased to hear that, I hope everything goes well for you from now on. Take care. xxx

EveryonesDrunk 04-09-2007 05:18 PM

hey hun im glad that it all went ok :)

Like its been said its really important to click with your therapist.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.