![]() |
Help regarding my rights at work (specifically sleep-ins at a care home).
As part of my job (Support Worker working with Children and Young People with Learning Difficulties and Associated Challenging Behaviour) I am expected to do sleep-ins at work, as and when needed. I don't have a problem with this; it saves on petrol between shifts and I am very rarely woken up.
The problem I have is that they have gotten rid of the bed, so we are expected to sleep on a mattress on the floor. The mattress isn't even a good one - it's years old and all the springs are worn out so when you lie on it you can feel the floor through it - and as someone that sleeps on their side it's particularly bad. The first time I did it it wasn't too bad, except for the fact that I didn't know they'd got rid of the bed until I went to put the sheets etc on it. I did another one on Friday night and woke up feeling a little sore on Saturday (as it was so uncomfortable I only got to sleep around 1am anyway) and it got progressively worse throughout the day. By the evening it was playing me up a fair bit but I just took some painkillers and got on with it. When I woke up on Sunday (1 sleep after sleeping at work) I could hardly move and it's been agony ever since. I got up at 3pm after waking up at 9am ish just because I couldn't move. Does anyone have any advice as to how to bring this up with my employers tomorrow (I have a doctors appt about it at 9am and am due in at 1). We don't have an union and our Care Home H&S rep is pretty rubbish so I don't know whether to take it up with the company H&S rep or my manager or what. I know there's a few nurses around and they probably have to do sleep-ins too so yeah. Thank you in advance and sorry for the ramble! |
I have nothing to useful to say, apart from that is an awesome job.
Might be an idea to start with talking to your manager and then go higher depending on whether the conversation is productive or not. |
i think the first step is to ask them why they took away the old bed! it seems really strange that they would take it away without replacing it.
it's part of the health and safety act that employers have a responsibility to ensure a reasonable level of comfort for their staff. i'd suggest that you go to your manager, and explain that you're finding it very difficult sleeping on the matress and that it's interfering with your work. if necessary, exaggerate a bit to make sure your manager gets the point. seeming that it's a residential unit, maybe there is a spare room that you could use? |
What kinda of hours are your working Chels?
I think, that, if it is classed as a regular shift, you dont have much rights, as the job description wouldnt say you had to sleep, type of thing, and if it were a day shift you wouldnt. However, if you are working a certain amount of hours, where it says, that you need to sleep whilst there to count towards legal working hours, then they have to provide for you to a point. If you still need to bring it up, I would say, go for those you see most, those there everyday type of thing and then work your way up the ladder. Failing that, if you get nowhere, you shouldnt have to, but could perhaps, all the people who utilise it, perhaps chip in some money and replace it? Short term, as sill as it sounds, but if there are any spare pillows or quilts, perhaps put these, either under the matress, or on top, before you put your sheet on to give a bit of extra padding. |
employers have to provide a safe and secure working environment for all their staff. This bed situation seems to be causing you back problems so bring it up with your manager. IF they do nothing then go over their head to their manager, but it is always best to start with the manager and go from there.
|
join a union, you can do this off your own bat, doesn't have to be associated with your workplace. Tell them if you're expected to sleep over they need to provide adequate sleeping arrangements, not some flimsy (literally) alternative.
i've asked friends who have worked and do work waking nights and they all said they'd refuse to do the shift if there was no bed, and that its ridiculous that you're expected to. if you go toa union, if you're off with a bad back you could claim back loss of earnings. |
You could stay in my nest ^^
|
hi, i do sleep-ins as a support worker and i'd go to the home leader first and if nothing was done then its straight to the project manager or head office depending on how pissed off i am. If nothings still done i generally go to my union who i joined myself rather than using the company one. the union contacts them and outs a fire under their arses. As an employee you have the right to a safe and comfortable working environment. Remind them its a high stress job and not sleeping well or damaging your own health is going to impact on not only your life but the life of those you support.
|
Oh sleep ins are bollocks. I could never sleep. They didn't ever provide a proper bed just this metal foldable ones that I was always terrified to lie on in case i collapsed it!
Anyways. I took the mattress and slept on a couch. Is that possible for you? Or you could actually bring a thick doona and fold that up to sleep on? You can leave it in your car or something? Or get a blow up mattress. I'm also guessing you're not the only one with issues about the removal of the bed? Talk to other workers and see what they say. Hope you're okay Chels! |
Just curious if anything has been done for you?
|
Yeah, they gave me a disciplinary because I was off work, but I complained higher up and they reversed my sickness points as if it'd never happened.
Win all round I think. Except for the pain. |
Chelsea its not a win at all. ultimately its you in a lose lose all the bloody time. they treat tyou like **** and work you too many hours. I know you love the kids and the work itself but like i said on the phone, when you are out of this place you will NOT believe what you have been through cus now it all seems normal but wait till you find somewhere that actually trweats you well and has structure and proper proceedues regarding staff welfare!
Rah! |
| All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:59 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.