RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mental Health Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   A 'shrink'?!!! (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145756)

XxLinkinParkxX 03-09-2010 06:08 AM

A 'shrink'?!!!
 
My mom told me she was going to send me to a 'shrink'. Does anyone think she won't make me go if i refuse to talk, or will that just make it worse? What happens? Any advice?????

Dreaming. 03-09-2010 02:21 PM

It really depends on the type of person you talk to. There are different types, and the therapy you get differs from therapist to therapist. But basic idea is you go in and talk through what you're struggling with in a safe environment.

As for how your mum would react, that's really down to her. But I really wouldn't recommend refusing to talk. Your mum clearly wants to help you, the therapist is there to help you - it's the perfect opportunity to utilise what support you've actually got on offer there. It's fantastic that you have this available to you - and I do understand that talking things through can be very, very scary, especially if you're not used to it. But it can be so positive and a real step in the right direction too.

Take care, good luck.

Grrr.... 03-09-2010 02:33 PM

Idk. I think you should go tho, and that you should talk. It might help you. Good luck. *hugs* (I still love your taste in music btw.)

PassedExpectations 03-09-2010 03:32 PM

even if you aren't pleased, it would probably be best to give it a shot. which would mean talking. but your mom wont be told anything unless you give permission to the therapist unless you're really not safe.

XxLinkinParkxX 03-09-2010 07:36 PM

thanks for all the advice. And yeah, it's uncomfortable. I've been to one when i was little, but I don't really remember it. :( I really don't wanna go. Hopefully it was just a lie, because she's said that once before, but didn't make me go.

Dreaming. 03-09-2010 08:14 PM

Why is it that you don't want to go? Is there any particular reason? Seeing a therapist can be brilliantly useful, even if you aren't ready to recover yet.

Take care.

one_step_closer 03-09-2010 09:35 PM

I think you should try to talk to them, write down all of the things that are important to you right now. You have nothing to lose by talking to them. You don't have to go into your deepest problems etc, just let them know how you are feeling. Maybe they can help. Is there anything that you feel you need help with?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.