RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Veterans Board (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   scared about the next year at uni (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142790)

ChaosInAGlassCage 29-07-2010 10:48 PM

scared about the next year at uni
 
ok, so i'm a senior and it's my last year at my university. i went to my advisor and he fixed my schedule of classes for the next year. since i didn't pick my current major until this year, he's having to substitute some classes for me so i can get caught up...and i'm scared because i don't know if i can do it...
1. take on a year of all hard classes
2. pass class in general considering how depressed i am atm
3. and i'm afraid because i'm already looking at this as an opportunity to be away from home so i can skip meals and my mom won't know
4. what if i fail? better yet, what do i do if i succeed and graduate?? i'm so scared that this is my last year. i'm quiet and shy and always scared of getting in trouble, so naturally i just stay away from anyone who would want to be my friend...not that anyone would...and i mean, i'm probably at one of the most widely known "party" uni's in the US and in 5 yrs i haven't gone out once. i'm so scared that i'll graduate and i'll never get up the courage to just go be a crazy college student, ya know?

aaahhh! :crazy:

A-Balanced-Insanity 04-08-2010 12:44 AM

I know exactly how you feel about not partying and going out! I'm always using excuses like I'm too fat to go out or I'm not thin enough to wear that party dress to get out of it, but honestly, I know it's because I'm scared and too shy to. If we can help each other that would be great >< *hugs

delete account 09-08-2010 11:12 PM

Duuuude I could totally make a post with exactly that title right now.

I bet you only want to party and be crazy because you're not doing it. :) It's a lot of fun but I have tons of friends who don't go out; maybe just pluck up the courage to go out once to like a big ball or big party if there's something like that going on at your uni early in the year, and it's not like you need to keep going? Unless you want to!

Uni is SCARY. Keep at it :) xx

Margo 10-08-2010 11:30 AM

I think being scared is ok. I think being scared about some of the things you mention is ok and healthy too. With careful planning and time tabling im sure you can cope with the workload. What would concern me is if you feel all of this is having a nagative effect on your health? If it is or if you feel there is a strong possibility of it then you need some added support. A therapist or counsellor.

Have a think about the reasons why you went to Uni. Write them down. Im sure they will provide a source of inspiration for you. Sometimes when caught up in the panic we can forget the real meaning of why we are doing something in the first place.

englishrose 18-08-2010 12:06 AM

First off well done for passing the first 2 years they are no way easy. Ok so you know that it’s not going to be an easy year and it is scary to think of what is coming up after uni. But you have worked hard to get through 2 years with a time table and commitment you can complete your final year.

Studying has been a big part of your life up to this point so it is completely respectable to be unsure of what you will do once it is over. Thought’s of getting a full time job is hard but if you had a full time job you could move out of your parents and live a more independent life.



Being a party animal is something I’m not, I have been out less than 10 times at uni and I’m going in to my final year i don’t really like going to loud places but i wanted to experience parts of uni life i would not have seen had i not pushed myself to go out.

I would recommend making yourself go to at least 1 party even if you don’t stay all night. Choose a party even if it’s a small party see it as a way to test yourself, however don’t feel bad about it if you don’t manage to get to a party because there will be time later in life that you will party.

But good luck with it all
XX


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.