RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   People who've been 'clean' for 1 year plus... (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137771)

Mrs Bungle 04-06-2010 05:07 AM

People who've been 'clean' for 1 year plus...
 
I have a request-type-thing: please give blood over the next few weeks if you can. During the last World Cup, blood stocks hit their lowest summer level in 5 years, and they're expecting a 20% drop in donations over the next 6 weeks. So the amount of blood in stock drops quite drastically, while there's still the same number or people needing transfusions.

To those who've been toying with the idea, or are scared: It's honestly not that bad. I was absolutely terrified before doing it, but the nurses are really good, and they do a great job of putting you at ease. Also, they're waaaay better with actually taking the blood than people I've had blood tests done by - they do it so often that they don't have half as much trouble finding veins and whatnot. And if you really can't handle it, you are free to pull out before they take any blood. Just try going along to a session and see how you cope.

www.blood.co.uk - Find a session near you & go along...please?

griddlebone 04-06-2010 05:19 AM

I wish I could,unfortunately stuff ive done means I cant,but its one of those things I always wish I could do.

Starless 04-06-2010 05:29 AM

I can't, I don't weigh enough 0.o
Another drawback of being short lol

akita 04-06-2010 05:42 AM

Ignore that it has Australian numbers but I thought I'd post this.

Frequently Asked Questions

Aphelion 04-06-2010 08:09 AM

I'm anaemic.

Buttons. 04-06-2010 08:30 AM

Already found my local one and plan to attend. I'm petrified of needles though so I'm not liking the prospect ;-p

Kelly. 04-06-2010 09:02 AM

Oh I agree with this! I've given blood since I was 17 (I think) and it really isn't that bad at all. The nurses are lovely and it feels so good when you've done it!

I didn't realise stocks would be low now though! I wish I could give blood but unfortunately I have to have blood tests and I don't think I'm able to give blood for a while, at least till I know what's wrong with me anyway.

But I'll definately be giving blood again after my blood's all sorted and I'm OK :-)

Snow White. 04-06-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphelion (Post 2333943)
I'm anaemic.


Aye
:(

Stellata 04-06-2010 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starless (Post 2333858)
I can't, I don't weigh enough 0.o
Another drawback of being short lol

Ditto.

Feel_Good_inc. 04-06-2010 10:00 AM

I don't know what you mean by 'clean' (but then, I'm a little slow this morning)

but all the same I've got an appointment to donate blood next Friday.

mmmMinty... 04-06-2010 10:06 AM

I really really want to but I've got a cold and I'm having a vaccination next monday which means I can't for like 6 weeks. Seriously bad timing.

bexidecimal 04-06-2010 10:09 AM

you have to be 18 right? well my 18th birthday is coming up this month, ill find my closest one after i turn 18 and go and donate some =]

though i just checked and it ssaid if youve been outside of europe in the last 12 months then you might not be able to, so ill have to give them a call when i get back to london.

BeautyFiend 04-06-2010 10:10 AM

if you mean 'clean' from self harming you certainly don't have to be clean for a year before donating!

Gone. 04-06-2010 10:57 AM

I've always wanted to give blood but wondered if self-harming got in the way. Does anyone know how long it is you can go before donating blood?

Feel_Good_inc. 04-06-2010 11:02 AM

Personally I've never brought it up. But I'd say any cuts would have to be healing, so a couple of days at least.
I think as long as the cuts haven't got an infection then you should be fine.

they do a simple test on you to see if your blood is good; if it contains enough iron and such. If it's good then it's good enough. ^_^

Buttons. 04-06-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

the cunts haven't got an infection
Deliberate or Freudian slip? ;-p

Gone. 04-06-2010 11:06 AM

Oh right, well that's good then :) I'll try and give blood the next time I can.
Thanks.

Feel_Good_inc. 04-06-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttons. (Post 2334093)
Deliberate or Freudian slip? ;-p

a mistake, a definite mistake.:blink:

NeonHaze 04-06-2010 01:03 PM

I've had to put it off for a year and a half cause of getting a piercing and being ill, but Im going on Monday after my exam and signing up for everything and giving blood, FINALLY

XxXflowerfairyXxX 04-06-2010 01:22 PM

I've been registered for about 6 months but I've always had piercings healing and such.

Does anyone know if I can still donate if I'm taking my inhaled asthma steroids (Seratide if i matters)?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.