![]() |
They won't help me.
***Also may trigger for ED and suicide***
So I went to my first "psych" appointment yesterday. First and last appointment, it seems. I spent about 30 minutes or so with a social worker who asked me a few generic questions, and I literally told this woman everything. It was so hard but I wanted help so bad I knew I had to just say it. I told her about how my SI is out of control right now, how I was raped as a child by my biological father, about my out of control binging, lots of stuff about how I have no support from family or friends I know in real life and isolation and fears and so much stuff and ultimately, how I even have a suicide plan and date. No word of a lie, this is what I got at the end: "You need to learn to get over it and stop self harming." Uhm yeah that's why I'm here. We talked about this for a couple minutes how I was upset that I finally plucked up the courage after years of struggling with so much stuff even I don't understand, that I'm being turned away. She said I wasn't a risk and if anything was just an attention seeker. She offered to write my GP to have my fluoxotine upped. (After I told her of course it's made me SI even more.) I'm lost. I don't know what to do. This was literally my last hope. No one will help me. I'm alone. :crying: Sorry this is so long and a bit ranty. I'm just so angry and crushed and utterly hopeless. I haven't even slept, I was just so...ugh. Sorry I'll stop wasting everyone's time now. :crying: |
What a horrible woman. Tell your doctor and ask to be referred to someone else in the mental health team like a CPN. Also there will probably be a local abuse survivors group that can give you support. If not contact a national one. x
|
rape crisis centres offer free counselling with professionals for however long you need it. and i think some of them have group support meetings.
maybe you could try that out? |
I agree with the rape crisis centre idea.
I've met "psych"s like that too... had one basically tell me to "go home and work on my act as i was not fooling anyone" :ermm: and another tell me that the abuse was all my fault so therefore was not abuse... some psychs seriously suck.... to be honest you could proably complain about the one you saw, saying someone should "just get over it" is seriously unprofessional. I would suggest either calling the local rape crisis centre or going back to your GP telling them (breifly) what happened and getting a doffferent psych |
that's despicable that you were treated like that, I would definately advise you to find someone new. And please don't apologise for posting, that's what we're here for :)
|
You should complain, she had no right to say that to you AT ALL....
I once had a really bad shrink, my dad kept making me see her until it broke up our family after she made me what i thought aloud and stuff.... It was horrible. You shoudl ask to be refered to someone else... Good luck and dont worry were here to help dont feel sorry about posting: ) X |
I am sorry you had to deal with that, she was totally out of line and you have it in your rights to complain. Please don't let your experience of her put you off seeking help, there are decent people out there. Perhaps you could speak to your GP and get a referral to see someone else. Take care
Kat xxx |
I also once had the same treatment from a psych. Well twice actually. So i know how utterly devastating it can be.
I'm sorry i dont have more advice but i agree there are other ways of seeking help. xxx |
Oh hunni, I'm so sorry you got that respone. *hugs* She obviously doesn't understand. Could you possibly see someone else? You're not alone, hunni. Hope you're alright. We're all here for you. xo
|
Thank you to everybody for your help and support. This is why I love this site so much. Everyone here is so kind.
I still feel crushed over the whole situation, but I am going to go to my GP on Monday and tell her what happened and if possible even put in a complaint. Or at least get refered somewhere else. *hugs and cupcakes for everybody* xxx |
Let us know how GP yeah? Hope it goes alright for you. *Hugs*
|
I feel enraged and sad about the way she treated you. You need empathy and understanding and support, not judgement and dismissal! I hope your GP is firmly on your side, and can help you get the compassion and care that you need.
|
| All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:39 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.