RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   Self-Harm Discussion and Support (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   how do i tell? (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119104)

anonymousplease 15-11-2009 08:47 PM

how do i tell?
 
Hopefully i can keep this short. Basically, my arms are a mess. I dont really know how my cutting has become more severe then my eating disorder but somehow im just as dependent on a blade as a toothbrush. I NEED to stop cutting for more reasons then i care to explain, mainly because its hurting my best friend. I want to tell one of my teachers but im not sure how. Help please?:ermm:

StillBroken 15-11-2009 09:44 PM

Well done for wanting to tell your teacher, that's really brave of you. Maybe you could try to write a letter to him/her?
*hugs*

musicmad123 15-11-2009 10:39 PM

I agree letters have helped me so much in the past !

PassedExpectations 16-11-2009 12:14 AM

letters are good, you can also include a fact sheet about SH cause there are so many misconceptions....
also, have in mind what exactly you want your teacher to do to help you

justbreathe:) 16-11-2009 02:40 AM

maybe try starting a conversation telling them you need some help, and when they ask you what, just show them. and a fact sheet might be a good idea as mentioned above.

good luck and *hugs for being so brave.

hillary_annette 16-11-2009 03:04 AM

I think it's wonderful that you want to talk to someone about your self injury. A trusted teacher is a great idea on many levels- but I want to point out a few things maybe you hadn't thought of.

A teacher is required to report anything they think may put you or someone else in danger. This means that if your parents don't already know about your self injury and you tell the teacher, there is high probability they will be informed.

The only reason I'm giving you this warning is because when I was a self-injurer I put myself in a similar situation- and my parents did nothing to help things, they actually made everything a good deal worse. I don't know your parents and how supportive they are or what they already know, I just don't want you to reach out for help and have everything become much more complicated.

If you want your parents to know too, then this may be a good course of action. If you don't, try finding another trusted adult that isn't directly involved in your welfare, someone that won't be required by law to report anything you're doing. And I hope this doesn't come across as me discouraging you finding help- I think it's great that you really want to reach out for someone, and I urge you to do so. Just weigh the risks and think about who you want to know about your situation.

Best of luck


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.