RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Grammar. (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115176)

Oliviaface 09-10-2009 04:12 PM

Grammar.
 
Does it honestly hurt to use capital letters and full stops?

I understand that dyslexia can limit the typer's ability to spell, but c'mon, it's not that hard to put a full stop at the end of a sentence, and begin a sentence with a capital letter.

Yeah, this'll probably get moved soon, but, whatever, I needed to get it off my chest.
:-)

shadow-light 09-10-2009 04:15 PM

this has been discussed before :P


Personally I have great difficulty with full stops and capital letters, I have trouble with commars and paragraphs too. My dyslexia is odd, I can spell fairly well but I cannot grasp the consept of grammar and I cannot write with a pen/pencil without adding extra letters that I know are not meant to be there.


(I had a computer programme look over this post so hopefully it is correct :P )

lolly_x 09-10-2009 04:15 PM

tbh i'm not too fussed what i put on internet. I will when i need support but that is as far really as it goes. I wont like change it if I notice something is out of place.
just quicker and easier

whirlpools 09-10-2009 04:18 PM

I tend to capitalise when I feel like it. Full stops seem kind of necessary though.

Alone and Scared 09-10-2009 04:26 PM

I'm completely obsessive about my full stops and capitals as that's just a little jut out of my OCD..... So, mine are always there. Kel, will infact back this up! Hehe. x

Heidi Tiger 09-10-2009 04:27 PM

I definately have some grammar Nazi tendencies, however I do appreciate we have some younger members, some who have missed out on chunks of their education and also those who have specific learning difficulties.

What I do object to though is things that are needlessly difficult to read. If there is just a wall of text with nothing to break it up into manageable chunks (wether these be full stops, paragraphs, bullet points, anything really!) then I generally can't be bothered to try and read it. Text speak is another bugbear, if your spelling is bad I'm fine about mistakes or phonetic spelling, but I find text speak so hard to understand (I also find it kind of mind-boggling that people sometimes claim they have dyslexia and thus use text-speak, I'd have thought normal spelling would be easier for them than text!)

Basically I've learnt to be more tolerant of other's shortcomings in basic English than I used to be. But I definately think sometimes posts need to be easier to understand, wether you use conventional grammar to do this or something less formal that works for you.

Oliviaface 09-10-2009 04:28 PM

Love you Heidi.

Heidi Tiger 09-10-2009 04:32 PM

Love you back Liv!

shadow-light 09-10-2009 04:33 PM

well if someone would be willing to tell me where and when to use paragraphs I will start doing that :P . I feel like a hypocrite half the time as I hate it when people present a massive wall of text without any breaks as I can't read it, yet I do it myself as I'm scared of guessing the wrong places to put the paragraphs.

(I forgot what I was writting half way through then lol, so I hope it made sense still)

GlitterandSparkles. 09-10-2009 04:38 PM

I agree, I dislike it when people don't capitalize what needs to be, or don't stop their sentences. I have a hard time reading things that are all in one big chunk. It's easy enough to write a paragraph and then put a few lines of space between the next one- I do it when I post, if you can't do that, at least just do bullet points or something.

I hate text speak, if somebody is typing like that, I most likely will not bother trying to read through it, it's just to much effort to read it. They obviously didn't put the effort in to write properly, so that it's understandable, so I'm not going to put the time and effort into reading it. It's not that hard to type properly.

I'm not the best speller, but I don't use text speak, and I try to make sure everything is spelled properly when I post, I use spell check. But, I do understand spelling is a bit difficult sometimes, so I tend to let that go more than anything else.

The only time it doesn't bother me, is in the ranting and venting forum. Hell, I don't use the best grammar there sometimes. But that's because I'm not expecting replies, nobody has to read that and be able to reply.

So really, if you're asking for support, I think you need to try and use correct grammar and limit text speak. It would help you to get more responses. (I think so at least.)

Ninja Orange 09-10-2009 04:39 PM

I capitalise when I can be bothered. Punctuation, yeah, it's pretty essential. If I'm in a hurry, or headachey etc. I don't bother with the shift button.

Schleier von Dunst 09-10-2009 04:40 PM

Paragraphs are used when the subject of what you are writing changes. For example, I would use a new paragraph now if suddenly I were to change the subject of my text to speak about dogs. In a slightly less exaggerated tone, in a support post, a person would need a new paragraph when they began to speak about something else that was bothering them.

This is the easiest way to explain it.

As for capital letters? I use them correctly and if I notice a mistake, then I go to change it. Sometimes I capitalise nouns. This is because I have learned German to quite a high level (I'm doing A level) and I use German grammatical rules in my own writing. However, again, if I notice these then I correct them. I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi.

Holy Crap I like my commas too much. Meh.

shadow-light 09-10-2009 04:42 PM

:/

but surely in a single post a person is unlikely to change subject...

shadow-light 09-10-2009 04:47 PM

I just asked my boyfriend to explain grammer to me and I got totally lost... then I explained what I do:

Quote:

I generally write out the etire thing and then start from the begining reading outloud and add in commars and full stops at points where brething is requied. Then I count 6 or 7 stentances and make that a paragraph
and then he tld me that was stupid :(

Heidi Tiger 09-10-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow-light (Post 1918271)
:/

but surely in a single post a person is unlikely to change subject...

Well first paragraph might be about how they are feeling. The second paragraph about how they are planning to talk to their GP but are scared about it. The third about what impact their problems are having on their relationship.

So whilst it's all on one subject, there are several ideas encompassed within it.

shadow-light 09-10-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidi Tiger (Post 1918288)
Well first paragraph might be about how they are feeling. The second paragraph about how they are planning to talk to their GP but are scared about it. The third about what impact their problems are having on their relationship.

So whilst it's all on one subject, there are several ideas encompassed within it.


:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shoc ked::shocked:

bloody hell...

I'm 22, got through school, college and now at university... and that is the FIRST time that the idea of paragraphs has made any sense! :notsure: (I'm seriously not joking...) Either I'm getting smarter or noone has ever throght of using examples before. When I asked my boyfriend to explain just now he started going on about "sub-subjects" and "foundations of arguments"

Lucius. 09-10-2009 04:56 PM

I'm the same as Heidi. I have some grammar nazi tendencies, but I understand that some people have learning abilities etc. Pure laziness is incredibly irritating, though.

Paragraphs are an awkward thing, but is something that comes naturally when you get used to it. Big blocks of text certainly aren't the easiest thing to read.

Heidi Tiger 09-10-2009 04:56 PM

Lol glad to be of use!

To be honest I'd get confused if someone was going on about sub-subjects and foundations of ideas. :-P

Schleier von Dunst 09-10-2009 04:59 PM

Lol Heidi you explained that better than I ever could :-p

ThinkingofRecovery 09-10-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidi Tiger (Post 1918223)
I definately have some grammar Nazi tendencies, however I do appreciate we have some younger members, some who have missed out on chunks of their education and also those who have specific learning difficulties.

What I do object to though is things that are needlessly difficult to read. If there is just a wall of text with nothing to break it up into manageable chunks (wether these be full stops, paragraphs, bullet points, anything really!) then I generally can't be bothered to try and read it. Text speak is another bugbear, if your spelling is bad I'm fine about mistakes or phonetic spelling, but I find text speak so hard to understand (I also find it kind of mind-boggling that people sometimes claim they have dyslexia and thus use text-speak, I'd have thought normal spelling would be easier for them than text!)

Basically I've learnt to be more tolerant of other's shortcomings in basic English than I used to be. But I definately think sometimes posts need to be easier to understand, wether you use conventional grammar to do this or something less formal that works for you.

I completely agree with this.

I know I make errors at times, especially as I am using a really crap computer at the moment and not all the keys work properly. I do however, try to keep them to a minimum.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.