![]() |
When does a problem become an addiction?
Ok, I'm writing this following a bit of reflection, I know I drink too much, and often for the wrong reasons, and as such, these are unhealthy drinking habits. But this doesn't neccersarily constitute alcoholism, which I would see as having an addiction to alcohol, not just unhealthy drinking habits, or an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. Don't get me wrong, I see it as the thing which leads people into alcoholism, and perhaps characterises the opening stages of an addiction.
The thing is, where do you draw the line? Where does it go from being poor drinking habits, and "drowning your sorrows" to an addiction with perminant effect? I've been at my parent's house, I'm still drinking, but it is within healthy limits here, the reduction in alcohol intake seems to have had no impact upon me I'm not wanting more after a drink and I'm staying sober at all times. Yet, when I don't have people around who can see the amount I'm drinking, or when I'm aruond other students, it goes through the roof. At the moment the presence of my family is imposing a control on me which I don't seem to be able to impose upon myself. Thoughts anyone? What I'm trying to work out here is if I'd be better off giving up on cold turkey and attempting to limit my intake instead, since doing that seems to only lead back to heavy drinking when I give up on it. But obviously, if what I'm dealing with here is an alcoholism problem, then trying to stick to moderate drinking won't do anything either. I did get an offer from a friend to go to my university's counselling services where they have an alcohol workshop or something along those lines, and to it go together, but I'm starting to wonder what the nature of my problem actually is, and if I've been looking at it from the wrong perspective all along. |
Youre addicted to alcohol ,when your body cant live without it ,you get the DTs when you come down.You need to keep drinking all the time ,hiding drink ,first thing when you wake up ,until last thing at night.
Thats an alcoholic . When ppl drink too much ,thats a different story .There is a line that can be crossed .Most ppl to be honest binge drink ,drinking unhealthy amounts of booze at one go .LIke when pp, go out ,they arent going to stick to the three drinks that is ' supposedly' ok.PPl have pints and shots and what not ,thats normal in my view. Its when it lurks into your every day life and affects it ,then you know you got a problem.I have seen those who used to be fine but drink took a hold ,it changes ppl .I mean the person knows themselves they have a problem ,deep inside .Its making a change that counts. |
I agree with the above that it's when you physically need it. But just because it's not a physical addiction does not mean it doesn't need adressing; any unhealthy relationship is worthy of a bit of support in changing how it works. Hopefully you can enjoy a drink without "drowning your sorrows". Remember alcohol just enhances the mood you're in at the time, so if you're feeling down, it will only make you feel worse.
Take care xoxo |
I wouldn't worry too much about the diagnosis at the moment - you're obviously struggling at the moment, and using alcohol to cope will make things worse in the long and the short term. Why not make an appointment with a counsellor and talk it through? Your relationship with alcohol and the issues you're struggling with. Then they can help you decide what the next steps are, and whether to quit/cut down, and how to go about it.
If it would help then get your friend to come along with you, or perhaps print out your post and add any more info (e.g. what you're feeling bad about as well as the alcohol) and take it along. Take care |
Its an addiction when; your life revolves around it, you can't do anything because of it...you're thinking of it all the time.. I'm thinkin' its same for all addictions but I could be wrong..
|
Ok, well, I have had times when I've had cravings, but I seem to be not getting these right now, nor am I drinking large quantities. It just seems that cutting back rather than going cold turkey may be the better option since this will prevent me from giving up and then starting again as I had previously. Perhaps after cutting back, I can then look to see if its worth giving up entirely?
I'm not sure if I'll sustain the low levels I'm currently at or not, it does worry me that if I'm given free reign over my drinking habits I'll go back to daily binges, but unless I try I won't know. If that fails, then I'll go and see someone about it, since to my mind, that would be confirmation of a problem. |
Dont have any advice Kai...though i should have as my Bezzie was an alcoholic as a few people here know and is now on a detox...Im not sure when you've quite over stepped that mark...just take care yea...x
|
Quote:
Somebody who has a drinking problem... thats a different matter. |
Hmmm. My view is you're addicted when you can't go a day without it/thinking about it.
|
Quote:
I think it is very unwise to spread your definition of alcoholism around. In my opinion it could very easily help people perpetuate their denial that they have a problem. |
Im not giving a definition,I was giving a description.Most alcoholics have to have a drink first thing in the morning ,its widely known.If there other ppl out there who dont ,so be it .And usually a person knows when they have a drink problem,they dont need to rely on my experiences to lie to themselves.Sorry if I have offended anyone ,but I got up for work this morning and my brother was guzzling down booze.This is 7 .30 in the morning ,and maybe I compare him to others ,when I shouldnt .
|
Right, well, I'm back at my uni accommodation, so far I've been fine, but I've only been here one night. As far as I'm concerned, any reduction in drinking levels is going to help me, and I'm more likely to achieve that if I don't try to give up completely.
I'm setting rules for myself: I'm only drinking in social situations, and stopping before I reach the point of feeling drunk. That, and I'm not going to conform to my housemate's drinking standards. |
This is how I am currently almost to a T. I haven't been back to RYL long enough to feel comfortable posting my own thread yet, but I just wanted to say that there is someone else here who knows exactly what you are talking about. Seeing that you are handling it the same way I am (setting rules, etc) gives me hope that at least I'm on the right track. I wish you the best. :)
|
ok, i;m drunk i ended up telling my housemte and his friends about my issues. He;s told me that if he find me with a drink he;ll pour it down the sink, and that he's going to give up drinking for a month in solidarity.
|
it isnt about anything physical or any of that blabber,
im involved in spritual conselling for eating disorders and addiction. You are addicted if you are held in bondage to something, the motive behind the drinking is unjust if your life is unmanageable??? and the biggest thing, u'll know u are an addict when u feel powerless over alcohol. |
if you use alcohol (or other destructive things) to deal with unhappiness/problems, then I'd say that's a problem, call it what you like.
getting support to stop is great, if your housemates are supportive that's a big step forward, but think about getting some outside help as well? Because no matter how well meaning your friends are, it's good to have someone with experience and someone outside the situation to help you and encourage the postive steps forward. They could help you find more constructive ways of coping, just trying to stop/cut down without finding another way of coping usually doesn't work, because you still need to cope with your feelings somehow |
drawing the line
read your post and replies , i am an alcholic and i crossed the line , trouble is you dont notice until its too late. you think you are incontrol but you are not , i thought i was, if you drink to drown your sorrows and block things out , u are not drinking for pleasure or socially. if you are asking if you hve a problem already you know you have . trust me i tried moderate drinking drinksence but drink was my master. done aa which i have seen help alot of people. my life is hell. please take care and seek help x
|
| All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:08 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.