RYL Forums

RYL Forums (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Learning to drive. (https://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107502)

All This Time 03-08-2009 10:46 AM

Learning to drive.
 
Ok so after years of hating the idea of learning to drive, i finally want to learn. But most of the people i know took around 2 years and a hell of a lot of money to actully learn.

So im wondering for thoes of you that can drive, how long did it take you to learn?

Schleier von Dunst 03-08-2009 10:51 AM

I don't drive but my brother does. He started when he turned 17 and he passed his test (on the 4th time) just before he was 18, so I'll say 6-12 months on my brother's behalf

Snow White. 03-08-2009 10:58 AM

I'd say about 6-12 months of practised driving before I got my licence, I really cannot remember though.

Lou Lou 03-08-2009 11:05 AM

It took me a year or two but I did have a baby half way through so it kind of put an end to the lessons for a while lol.

I think it all comes down to how many lessons you have, how good your instructor is and such xx

Duffer44 03-08-2009 11:08 AM

It took my sisters two years but they were scared to take the test.

I was looking at less than 12 months and was on track for that until i couldn't afford lessons.

So i would say it depends on the person and who is teaching you.

N.Bluth 03-08-2009 11:12 AM

It took me 8 months, and it's the best thing I've ever done. I honestly could not live without my car. On top of the freedom it gave me, learninng gave me loads of confidence. It is a big financial investment but it is worth it!

BlindSpot. 03-08-2009 11:13 AM

It took me ages because i was so nervous!
I had a couple of lessons when i turned 17 and hated it. Then when i was 18 i had a few more but didn't like the woman then eventually i found a really nice/good instructor and was with her for about a year before i passed, 2nd time.

It doesn't matter how long it takes and remember to change your instructor if you aren't comfortable or doing as well with the first one you have. (Although having some money saved already or the spare money each week will help!)

Also i'd say try and go for an hour and a half lessons. At first i had hour lessons then with my 3rd instructor i had 2 hour lessons but i sometimes found it a bit much, but i think an hour isn't long enough.

XxLostxX 03-08-2009 11:16 AM

It took me 3months after i was 17 to take and pass my theory.
Then.. i took my first test after 9Months, Failed. 2nd is this month.

think it does take most people about a year.

It has cost loads tho. im nearly into 4 figures :S...

Alll worth it in the end.

88shelz 03-08-2009 11:49 AM

well i have my test today at 14.50
i have been doing an intensive course for 3weeks. its cost was £220
then the hire of the car for the test £80
the actual fee for the test centre was £45.50

trust me though...that will all be worth it in the end.

plus you odnt have to pay it all at once. my instructor is lovely and has set up a payment plan for me to pay what i can afford every week which is great as it doesnt feel like such a lot of money then.

All This Time 03-08-2009 11:52 AM

Good luck with your test.

Im getting kinda excited now about learning, although i do need to look around for a good price and also get my provisional.

X Tears X Don't X Fall 03-08-2009 11:55 AM

it took me roughly 6-12 months, i changed instructors half way through, passed 1st time though :D

Kelly. 03-08-2009 01:06 PM

It took me a year. Think I was a bit slow picking things up though! Everyone's different.

I was worried but decided to go for it and loved it so much so that I'm training to be a driving instructor. And it definately is worth it in the end, I have so much more freedom now.

But have you thought about after you pass though? Because it is quite expensive running a car too even if you can afford the lessons.

Shadowsaurus 03-08-2009 01:40 PM

Because I am so panicky and unsure with my driving, it has already taken me a year to learn basics and I am now just practicing everything I have learnt for my test. So it'll be probably nearly 2 years before I pass x

All This Time 03-08-2009 03:39 PM

I know it can be expensive running a car, but i think if it takes me awhile with lessons that i can save up for a car, of course it would be a second hand one because i couldnt afford a brand new one.

TheArtOfEscape 03-08-2009 03:40 PM

It took me about 3 months, passed 2nd time. That was with about 30 hours of lessons and driving the family about everywhere to get in some practice!

PixieHope. 03-08-2009 03:48 PM

I took about 8months but everyone is different anyway so it doesn't matter how long it takes you.

Katiee 03-08-2009 03:58 PM

I'm too young to drive. :plain:

Left. 03-08-2009 04:02 PM

i don't drive yet but 3 of my friends passed their tests at around 6months x

Rodolphus 03-08-2009 04:04 PM

I don't think I ever will learn to drive.
I can barely keep decent control of my feet, let alone a car! xD

Good luck if you do!

Intaytia 03-08-2009 04:56 PM

IF I pass in September, it will have taken me a year. Which I think is about average. But remember, everyone is different =]
Oh and I agree, after the first few lessons, try and get hour and a half lessons!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.